Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the rear seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I remove the rear seat?

The wheather is nice today and I have some time so I want to remove my rear seast (the bottom) as it's soaked adn I"m still trying to figure out my water leak..

how hard is is to remove this seat? I don't want to rip it up or wreck it but I have to remove it to wash / clean it and I will need to rip out all the weat moldy insualtion
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 PM
whitesox23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...69&postcount=1
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
hpservertech
Pro

fairly easy. You have to remove the seat belts. Easy with air tools, otherwise have a breaker bar handy in case you need it. Deepwell sockets help make it easier too.

There are a bunch of metal clips that hold the leather/vinyl in at the top of the bottom seat. Careful taking this off so you dont rip the material.

If it's wet then the glue holding it down is most likely not holding the seat anymore so it should pull up pretty easily. I found that pulling the bottom out make unbolting the top much easier if you dont have any ratcheting wrenches and only sockets.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I just took the top off with the bottome still on.

so I just remove the seatbelts on teh back seat and then remove the clips and that's it? the backseat seatbelts look messed up anyways so I might not even reinstall them. Also not like anyone is going to be every sitting there.

I"m also ripping out all the wet insualtion so the car is going to be much noisier I guess. I want to leave the sat out for a while until I find my water leak.

I guess I can just go buy home insulation at like homedepot.......and use that?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
hpservertech
Pro

that's right...seat belt bolts & the clips.

if your going to rip out the insulation I wouldn't put home carpet padding in. Get something like dynomat or a generic. you can always put carpet inplace of the seat. But home insulation isn't made for cars and is fiberglass....not something you want in the car.

This is what I put under my seat and under the entire carpet. http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Sound-Destroy...QQcmdZViewItem If you do the entire car with this you will need about 75 sq. ft in total. But this isn't something you want to put in if your going to use it as a track car. It add weight, more then the rear seat for the entire car.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oh ok thanks. I'm going to have to find the water leak first before putting anything back in the car .

I will also remove my frotn seats and I have to rip out the insulation under carpet also because it's soaked and my car smells like crap......

this will be my summer project to fix the water leak and make the car smell good and not like a gas station washroom.

I have a little bit of marine clean left (por15 company) and it's suppose to be good for removing mold/ mildew etc so I'm going to go wash the back seat right now .
Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

and yeah the back seat removal was super easy took me 5 minutes, pretty straight forward.

thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

did you put a piece of tape on the quarter window like i suggested a few weeks ago?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

not yet because it didn't stop raining until today and my car is out in the rain. I will do that tomorrow. I already silconed and sealed the part of the quarter window where it touches around the glass but it may be leaking at the body I guess. I have to go buy some masking tape used for house painting because anything else is going to leave glue on my pain. Not sure if the masking tape will stick in the rain though.

the car still stinks because the insulation below the door and under the carpet is soaked so i guess I have to through it out as well?

It's thick insualtion, I'm not sure if I can replace it with similar insulation. It's going to be lot of work to get the car clean...... I just don't want to remove the dah or the viny on the roof but I'l remove everything else to clean, install new sound inusaltion and fix the leaks.

I will also have to get that mold killing spray to spray on my seats / carpet when they are dry. I'm not sure if washing it with soap/ cleaner will kill all the mold inside the seat.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

it is not insulation,it is carpet padding. you can get it a carpet store. pull the old stuff and keep the window open during the day. close em at night because mold feeds on moisture.

if you put silicone on the bead between the glass and rubber you should be OK. dont bother with the part by the body. if you put silicone there you will never get the window out, and i dont think water drips up.

put out a want ad for a seat bottom. what color is your interior? if black you should get one for next to nothing, easier than trying to clean it.

pull the insulation, use a blow dryer on the rest, then get oxy clean. do a google search on mold and oxy clean. follow the directions on the oxy clean box. cheapest and easiest way to go. i discussed this at lenght with my cousin, the engineer at gm.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
hpservertech
Pro

+1 for oxyclean or buy a new set of carpet.

Carpet padding from a carpet store would be your best bet. 1/2" - 3/4" padding should be fine. I just put my carpet right over the dynomat, minus the padding. Since I dont walk on the carpet you can't really tell. But it's a personal preference.

Is it an early or late car? I have some carpet pieces for an early in black if you want them...cheap. they are just taking up space.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

This stuff in the double-faced version works great for anyplace Porsche used that maggot fur under the carpet. I stripped all of mine and glued down open/closed cell neoprene and then the foil stuff. The car is incredibly quiet now and the AC doesn't have to work as hard either.

http://perfectfit.com/product.asp?Pr...9&l1=15269&l2=

Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Slightly OT, but if I go to redo all the carpet, what insulation should I use? I want to lower noise inside the cabin DRAMATICALLY...any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom R.
it is not insulation,it is carpet padding. you can get it a carpet store. pull the old stuff and keep the window open during the day. close em at night because mold feeds on moisture.

if you put silicone on the bead between the glass and rubber you should be OK. dont bother with the part by the body. if you put silicone there you will never get the window out, and i dont think water drips up.

put out a want ad for a seat bottom. what color is your interior? if black you should get one for next to nothing, easier than trying to clean it.

pull the insulation, use a blow dryer on the rest, then get oxy clean. do a google search on mold and oxy clean. follow the directions on the oxy clean box. cheapest and easiest way to go. i discussed this at lenght with my cousin, the engineer at gm.

yeah that carpet padding or wahtever it is ( close to teh seatbelt area) is really gross it's all slimy and gooey and I can't take it out yet as the front seat/ carpet have to be pulled out first.

I don't really care about padding but I'll probably use some new sound insulation..

yeah my seat is black , I'll put a add up if I can't get it cleaned. I just washed it with the marine clean (would be stronger than oxi clean, says for mould/ mildew) but I'm not sure if it got deep into the baddding of the seat, I let it soak for a while before washing it with the garden hose.

I put the seat on my patio to dry, probably should have don't it in the morning not in the evening as it might just get moldy again before it dries.

but like I said i'm going to also spray it down with that mold killing/ preventing stuff someone posted her (from homedepot).
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by hpservertech
+1 for oxyclean or buy a new set of carpet.

Carpet padding from a carpet store would be your best bet. 1/2" - 3/4" padding should be fine. I just put my carpet right over the dynomat, minus the padding. Since I dont walk on the carpet you can't really tell. But it's a personal preference.

Is it an early or late car? I have some carpet pieces for an early in black if you want them...cheap. they are just taking up space.
it's a late car, 85.5. I don't see why the carpet cannot be reused it just needs to be cleaned good to get rid fo any mold/ mildew on it. yeah I think I'll leave teh padding out and just use insulation.

my quarter windows were siliconed right before a rainstorm and more water has gotten in the car since then but it looks like less than before, but I could be wrong.

I'm going to try using a garden hose again and look around the quarter glass (where the seatbelt mounts) and see if any water drips around there.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the rear seat?