Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the answer to this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
realsquidhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the answer to this???

Hi all,

I have a 944T which is all sorted now bar one issue.

When the car is hot AND has been standing for a few mins 1st and reverse gear become difficult to engage. While the car is going it is fine. Therefore it seems to be rising heat that is the cause.

It is right hand drive. I have replaced the clutch flexi pipe, master cylinder and fluid. As far as I can tell there is not air in the system.

The gear box has been re-filled with swepco. The car has covered just 74K

Although there may be some room for further adjustment on the master cylinder the clutch doesn't bite right at the bottom.

The clutch plate appears to have plenty of life left.

So to clarify, the gears perform perfectly normal even on a long run. It's just when say, I park outside a shop for a few minutes then re-start the car. It is then that first or reverse can be almost impossible to engage.

It is only when the car is hot and left to stand for a short while that the fault occurs. It does it to a lesser extent when in stop-start traffic. I can only conclude heat is causing the problem?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know what the problem is. I have some suggestions though: cailibrate your clutch pedal freeplay, and next time this problem occurs, try letting the car roll a few inches while you work the shifter. Sometimes rolling forward/backward helps the gears line up. You may have to stick your leg out for a second to get the car rolling.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
realsquidhead
Intermediate

To get around it I have started to car in gear when I have had to reverse out of a space.

The pedal play isn't easy because the spring action hides it. Short of removing one end of the assisting spring not sure of the best way to set this.

As is the pedal can be pressed about 20mm before the release lever can be seen to start moving thru the clutch inspection hole. Does anyone know if this is correct? My next plan is to take all this play out just see if there is any change. However, the clutch bite is around the middle of the pedal stroke.

I want to find the answer as I have a 3K trip coming up and don't want to take any chances of it getting worse.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
realsquidhead
Intermediate

Another thing I have not tried is to see if the prop is still turning. Isn't there an inspection cover that might reveal this?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:50 PM
realsquidhead
Intermediate

Had chance to check the prop now. With the clutch in it is still turning slowly. Once 1st is engaged (with the back wheels off the ground) the prop stops. I'd therefore say it has some slight drag.

My guess is this drag is more pronounced when hot.

I have taken all the play out of the clutch pedal. However, there still does not seem to be 15-18mm of travel when viewed through the clutch inspection hole.

I'm wondering whether to change the slave cylinder to see if this increases the travel?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Check your slave to see if it's bleeding anything, if it is, it's a relatively easy replacement.

Next, try hitting the clutch twice before putting it in R or 1 from a stop, this will ensure the clutch is disengaged.

And if you don't mind craning your neck, jack the car up and look at the end of the shift lever to see if it's loose or wiggly, etc..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:19 PM
realsquidhead
Intermediate

The slave is dry, no sign of any leaking fluid. When the fault does show its face pessing the clutch in and out doesn't help.

I tried to have a look at the linkage. It's not easy to see though! Well, I can see it but not close up - the exhaust, drive shaft etc stops me getting my head right in. I can feel it but it's difficult to know if all is perfect or not?

Yesterday I did a 160mile blast on mountain roads. The only time it played up was after i'd been waiting outside a shop with the engine running for a for a min.

Whatever it is heats up quickly when standing and cools quickly when moving.

Quick Reply: Whats the answer to this???