Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
blysccr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspection Dilemma

I just aquired my 86 951. The previous owner had put on Eibach springs with koni 5 way shocks. He said that the spring rate on them was pretty hight, a racing inspired spring. When the car is lifted, the springs wobble around, and don't stay properly seated. Also, the wheels have a small amount of play in them. (front) is this something to be concerned in? i know most cars the springs are tight and seated and there is no play in the front wheels. I am new so some input would be greatly appreciated.
zach
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, welcome to the board, and congratulations on your new 951!

First of all, on the springs, due to the design you would need a helper spring to ensure that the springs don't move when the wheel is off the ground. It keeps some tension on the damper. Various board sponsors carry such a product for just this purpose. (EXAMPLE) Sounds like the PO left those off.

As for the front wheels having play, I assume you mean that you can move the wheel by gripping the top and bottom when it is off the ground? In this case look at the tie rod ends and wheel bearings.

Good luck with your new car, you'll find this forum to be a wealth of information whenever you have problems... you've found the right place!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
blysccr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. There was a lot done to the car, and once she boosts at 2800, hold on. lol. On the bottom there is a rubber thing, does that have anything to do with it? The whell issue is like, up and down, more so than wobble it. I thought up and down was ok? but it is a porsche, lol. something new to learn about.
zach

Quick Reply: Inspection Dilemma