Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Upgrade - H4's - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Nyx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlight Upgrade - H4's - DIY?

I want to upgrade my OEM HL's with these, I have sourced out some Hella Ecode H4's from 944online... other online shops have been DOT's... do you have any other good sources which you've used for less than $129.99US/pair

For those of you that have done this nice upgrade, what did you find when you spent more on the wiring harness than on the headlamps? What I really wanna know is what more than the smaller AWG size wire's and Relay did you get?
The wiring harness is where I dont' want to get hosed, I am am electrician and can solder up some quality wires, and leads. But I am wondering if you have any idea what else is needed with the install. A relay? Or any specific fittings etc that come with the harness.

Any other general thoughts on light upgrades on our rides?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Did this job not to long ago - easy.

I kept the same wattage bulbs, so I did not upgrade the wiring. At somepoint I will get the rennbay kit and up my bulbs.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at rallylights.com or rennbay for lenses. I used the stock bulbs and they're nice, but the rennbay harness made them much brighter (I think). Someday I'm going to go with ecodes (I have the hella DOT lenses) and brighter bulbs now that I have the harness.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Nyx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, i just put through my order for the Ecodes, and the harness... after seeing that it's not worth trying to mock on up myself.
So i can't wait. Im going to aftermarket Piaa lamps in them i think they are about 100-110W... lasers.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
Did this job not to long ago - easy.

I kept the same wattage bulbs, so I did not upgrade the wiring. At somepoint I will get the rennbay kit and up my bulbs.
+1 on the H4 upgrade with a 55w bulb. I just traded my Robert Bosch E Codes for some DOT's - I live in an urban area with lots of people crossing the street. DOT's are more diffusive and illuminate more on the sides of the road. Personal taste though. People tell me those HID kits for 200+ bucks on Craig's List are really the only upgrade worthwhile. Our lights have their limitations; even with H4's.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can the relays and plugs be bought at any local auto store? I want to make my own non plug in soldered harness
Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

E-codes, better wiring and 90/130w bulbs. Nothing short of daylight infront of you. The 130w high beams are pretty ridiculous...especially when you keep the stalk pulled back and have both filaments burning in the bulb at the same time.

The only downside of the 100w bulbs is they burn out much faster than the regular 50/55's
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Jon, the bulbs are still cheap...especially from the joy I'll get when BLINDING the joker in the lifted pickup coming at me.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Darren, yea the bulb prices arent bad. I dont think i can ever go back to stock wattage. The only annoying thing is getting bulbs. No auto place by me stocks 100w bulbs as they are not DOT legal, only 55/50 bulbs. Just ordered a few more from Rennbay...blew out my last set a month ago and never got around to buying replacements.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

I did a price comparison with the rennbay bulbs/lenses (since I want to get e-codes before I get new bulbs) and the ones at rallylights (where I got my Vision Plus - good lenses but I should have gone with ecodes right off the bat!); I can get the e-codes with 110/80 bulbs at rallylights for the price of the lenses alone at rennbay. Glad I'm not pulling the trigger just yet, but I want to give Travis my business!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

I got E codes from JC Whitney, they are actually quite good. The bulbs, if you buy them with the lenses, are crap but I got some good ones at my local auto parts store. Some say it's about 2x the light from E codes and H4 lamps, even in the stock wattage and that seems about right. I do not feel it is worth bothering with rewiring.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do the Rennbay wiring upgrade regardless of whether or not you decide to run high-wattage bulbs in the fixtures. Stock wiring is horrible. I melted the headlight switch last summer, and it led a condition where the main feed on the lighting circuit burnt and did not connect with the fusebox. This problem showed up last month.

None of my lights worked except my headlights, which had a direct feed off the alternator thanks to the Rennbay harness. BIG reason to upgrade for safety alone, even if you haven't had switch trouble...nobody wants to have their lights randomly fail in a parking lot or on the road.

I run Sylvania 60/55W bulbs in H4 E-codes. Very happy.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

amen, Joel, amen. The harness is the one best thing you could do if you only had $100 or so to do.

Then lenses...then superbulbs.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a few sets of headlights and it has got to be the easiest job on these cars. I'm running just e-codes right now.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

In the next few weeks we are going to put together a connectors only kit for the headlight harness. It is going to include both headlight connectors, a male headlight connector, the fuse housing, the relay connectors, relays and ring terminals for grounds / power. All the connectors will come with unsoldered, uncrimped connectors so you can do your own wiring if you like. This will be very inexpensive since the major cost in the harness is the labor to put it together. Even in a production setting they take about an hour each to assemble since we crimp/solder all connections and adhesive shrink/skin all wire runs.

As a side note, if anyone (Rennlist Members) needs us to match the RallyLights.com prices we can. They can sell at a lower percentage because they cater to a much wider range of cars (Not just Porsche 944). On occasion we do have sales as well where we beat them by about $10 on each Ecode housing, but thats only about once a year.

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade - H4's - DIY?