Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop AB 616-Annual Calif. Smog Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Stop AB 616-Annual Calif. Smog Testing

Please read this X-post and send a letter. This is just ridiculous even if it's not passed. One failure just hardens them more for another attempt next year.

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/335798-california-introduces-bill-to-require-annual-emissions-tests.html
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God damn lawmakers. That means any car older than 92 will have to go in, and I know that'll **** off a hell of a lot of people still driving around older camrys and such. Me being one of those.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think smog checks should be required twice per year. I love my car but I love air much, much more.

I also think smog exemption is RIDICULOUS. Allowing smoke-spewing hot rods on the road is like allowing a retard into NASA - he couldn't pass the test if he tried, but it's OK because he's 'special'.

I also think smog checks should be $10 state-wide, and they shouldn't give a damn what kind of air filter I use. If I have a cone filter, but I still pass smog, WTF is the problem?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical liberal brain dead legislation. Then Calidorfia has not been rational in over 30 years.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Driver
Typical liberal brain dead legislation. Then Calidorfia has not been rational in over 30 years.
You know.... hes right!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:59 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I think smog checks should be required twice per year. I love my car but I love air much, much more.

I also think smog exemption is RIDICULOUS. Allowing smoke-spewing hot rods on the road is like allowing a retard into NASA - he couldn't pass the test if he tried, but it's OK because he's 'special'.

I also think smog checks should be $10 state-wide, and they shouldn't give a damn what kind of air filter I use. If I have a cone filter, but I still pass smog, WTF is the problem?
Go drive a prius, hippy.

I agree on that they shouldn't care about what filter is on the car. If anything, it just makes the engine more effecient and hence lower emissions.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:41 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind the occasion smog check -- I like air, too.

And I don't mind exemptions -- but it should depend on usage and not year. If some guy drives a 15 year-old diesel truck 20k miles/yr, annual check seems fine. A collector drives a 30-year old car 3k miles/yr, check him once every 4 years. A guy with a model T who drives 500 miles/yr for parades, give him an exemption.

IMHO, every year for every car is excessive.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman

If that's the case, then I guess you would have no problem with a clean running car without a cat passing smog right? Twice a year? Please say you are joking. If they spent as much effort getting unlicensed/uninsured drivers off the road I would be happy. I look at it this way, if a car has passed every time for the last two cycles (4 years) they should up it to a 3 year interval or until change of ownership.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Anyone know a hitman?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do you think they'll accept a picture of a giant, angry mexican flipping them off with one hand, and with a machete in the other hand as a "please dont pass this" or as a threat?

i think it's ridiculous that they'll pass this, yet STILL have an exemption for the cars that pollute the WORST.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Im not opposed to the idea of smog checks provided that they only sniff the exhaust. There is no reason why I should not be allowed to run whatever engine combo I want in my car as long as it passes the sniffer test.

and +1 to the non licensed and non insured drivers off the road quote above.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

While all this smog testing is good "politiking" it hardly makes a dent in the quality of the air we breathe. Major corporations pay millions in "fines" for polluting. Think about it this way. As long as there is ONE smog tester who will break the rules and pass an otherwise failing vehicle for an extra $50, the system is flawed and in-effective. As a licensed inspector in Texas, I think it's a joke. We should all just be made to send in our $39.50 each year and get a "sticker" in the mail. I, for one, will not pass a failing car mainly because my job depends on being above that sort of thing. The class you go to to get your license is 2 days long, you have to work for a shop that has purchased the neccessary equipment and is also licensed by the state. So you get some 18yo who works as a lube tech at the local mom&pop who needs a little extra beer money and next thing you know one car gets "inspected" twice and two different stickers are issued. One passes. The other? Who knows, but because the license plate and VIN were entered into the state's system, the sticker is valid. Still no emissions test for diesel, how many of those are there running around, and what kind of emissions are they putting into the air we breath?

Sorry, rant off.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Prius, lol! I'd rather ride a bike. At least bikes are RWD.

Joe, I like your idea.

Steve,
"If that's the case, then I guess you would have no problem with a clean running car without a cat passing smog right?"

-right.

"Twice a year? Please say you are joking."

-I take this part back. I said that because I hate it when people remove their cats, and put them back on every 2 years. But if the car passes the sniffer anyway, then I don't care.

unlicensed, unregistered fools...

-they should be forced to repave every freeway AND backroad in the state.

I hope the hitman is not intended for me!

For the hitman's sake.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:50 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I get a knife or fork?

There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils AT Medieval Times. Would you like a refill on that Pepsi?

There were no utensils but there was Pepsi?

Dude, I got a lot of tables.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this I think today is a good day for me to take my cat off. Although I have heard that the no cat ticket is around $1,000.

Quick Reply: Stop AB 616-Annual Calif. Smog Testing