Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leaks in car, now moldy, pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water leaks in car, now moldy, pics.

I don't know what's leaking, either the sunroof or the hatch, I haven't figured it out yet but the backseat of my car is soaked and it rains all the time so it keesp on getting more soaked.

the rear carpet and the rear seat is soaked and all the cardboard / isnulation in that area is soaked and moldy so it's basicly destroyed.

I"m pretty sure it's the sunroof leaking although I could not find leaks with a garden hose even after spraying it for 30 minutes.

today I opened my car and saw whtie/ blue modl growing all over the back seat/ set belt area as well. It smells moldy now and I don't think it's safe to sit in there anymore, I started coughing whe I opened the door, all the mold is going to get into your lungs and that can't be good.

anyways here are some pics. I can't figure out the leak, now for some reason only the right nside (driver side) of the rear carpet and rear seat is getting soaked, before both sides were getting soaked.

there is a new sunroof seal (both seals) and converted to manual, all the drains drain fast and are cleans.

I'm gong to tape off the hatch / sunroof when it gets dry to see if that stops it.

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/timstar924/newroof8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

You need to seal that up and get some mold cleaner: www.concrobium.com
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

the thing is I don't know what is causing the leak or where it's coming from.

It's really weird I even placed newspapers all over the inside back area to see where I would get drips of water but I didn't see drips of water but the carpet beneath was still soaked, maybe it wasn't raining hard enought.

the past few days it's been raining hard so the back carpet area behind the front seats is soaked again but now for some reason only on the drivers side.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I will remove the seats and wash everything with carpet cleaner and use mold killer to clean it all as best as I can in spring when the weather gets better, but I obviously need to eliminate the water leak first or there will be no point.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm curious. Does your exterior sunroof channel at the rear edge have two flat head adjustment machine screws just inboard of the latch area? I was looking at Juans late 86 951 and saw these 2 screws that look like they are used to adjust how far the sunroof panel pulls down. I have never seen these before on any 944 but I have had only an 83, and two early 86 951's. Anyway it looked like water could get in around his as they didn't look sealed or anything. Sometime the quarter window seals leak but that sure wouldn't get the seat backs wet, only the rear floor.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

put a piece of tape over the seal where the rear quarter window meets the rubber. it was leaking there on my 89. look at the pictures i posted in the recent thread asking if there was frame damage. there is a picture of the drivers quarter window with the tape on it.

also put a piece of tape around the sunroof. get the good stuff from home depot used to seal windows. it wont damage a freshly waxed car like the other stuff.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no adjustment screws.

the middle part of the rear of teh sunroof seems to stick out a bit even when the edges are flush, I'm guessing the seal is a bit thick? but then the front of the sunroof doesn't have the same problem fo the middle sticking out.

I"m pretty sure the courter windows are fine, the back seats are getting soaked and the carpet behind the front seats.

before I replaced both sunroof seals and converted to manual, the leak was much worse I had a few inches of water in the back but maybe it was raining more then.

I have a tarp i can use to just cover teh sunroof and leave the hatch in the rain to see if it still gets wet.

the annoying thing is the other day I spend 30 minutes straight spraying water on the roof and hatch and I did not see water dripping anywhere so i don't get how it leaks after a nigh tof rain. Maybe the water builds up somewhere slowly before getting into the car.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

in those pics you can also see that my hatch is badly separating but when I sprayed it with a hose I did not see any water getting in.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what if you taped one thing at a time. i.e. the sunroof first, then quarter window, then hatch just to pinpoint which one could be the culprit. pretty sure its the sunroof though, that seal is screwed up big time. my guess is that one of the water drain lines is broken and that it is running down the liner to the passenger seat and foot well. when one of my drains got clogged it overflowed and ran down the inner liner so i had a hard time pin pointing where it was coming from as well..
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to recall that there are tensioning rods in the roof panel that can be adjusted to adjust the 'camber' of the roof panel....think I remember reading this a few years ago when I was screwing with the roof on my old '84.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I can't think of anything else other than the suroof seal being thick or the sunroof being warped or the car bent or something because I would assume that teh sunroof should be flush with the roof.

I can make the sunroof clamp tighter by adding more pennies or whatever under the rear clamps so it clamps tighter. but I don't want it to clamp crazy hard as it might break the clampsor where they mount on the sunroof.

I don't think the drains are backing up they are clear and I poured water in there and can see that it drians fast.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also just to make sure, when installing the sunroof seal/ roof seals are you suppose to just install them dry or were you suppose to use some sealant?

I just installed them dry and I'm pretty sure they don't need sealant.

I need to figure out this leak soon because int eh summer i won't be able to find the leak because it only happens when it's sitting in the rain like overnight.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Dynamite 76
Instructor

I don't know how the roofs work on 944's, mine doesn't leak so never looked into it. On another car, I had same problem you are having. Had to break out the wet/dry vac every time it rained. On that car, it had flexible vinyl tubbing that connected to the sun roof channels. I guess at some point when I was working on it I pull the end of the tubbing into the drivers compartment wheel weel. It ran down the A frame and was designed to drip inside the body between the interior and exterior panel. Now, you might be able to guess who would design such a thing, but possible it might be similar to the issue you are having.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:04 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no the drain tubes are attached and are draining fine.

I did however pull out the passenger side reear drain tube and the gas drain tube and I couldn't get the drain tube to go down where it originally goes down so I have it for now going behind the carpet and it drains under the car. I also just taped off teh gas cap drain hole for now.

one thing I really hate about the 944 series cars is that they seem to be prone to water leaks everywhere and it's not alawys as easy as just getting a new seal. On my old 924 I replaced all the seals also and still got leaks. I've also looked at a lot of other 944s and almost all of them had soaked rear seats.

I bought my 944 in summer so it was dry in the inside so I thought it doesn't leak.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:42 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

go through a touchless carwash where high pressure gets sprayed straight down, if your sunroof or hatch is leaking, you'll know it... ask me how i know

Quick Reply: Water leaks in car, now moldy, pics.