Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle questions

Okay after all the work to get the clutch in...which by the way is done and working(!)...I need to install the new door. So seals, trim, window, window motor, door latch assembly are all in and functioning. Now all I have to do is get the exterior door handle on. Yeah, right. So do you have to be Houdini to get it connected?? Any 'tricks'?? I managed to bend the silly lever on my replacement handle...so I'll have to swap it with the one from the original broken handle. Sigh. Anyone know where I can get the lever (part number 944.537.262.00), just in case I bend another!

Come to think of it...is there a VW part number for that lever?? MAybe the local VW dealer may have it???

-Steve
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

if the door panel is off, i just took a long flathead screwdriver and found an angle where i could get leverage to put the black plastic piece from the lever on its nubby, and then same with the piece for the lock mechanism
Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Yea the kicker is I did manage to get a screwdriver in to pop it on, only to find the sucker needed to be adjusted out as it couldn't quite get the door to unlatch! ARGH. I adjusted it and tried to repeat my earlier success when I slipped the screwdriver and bent the rod. Yea it was late, I was getting tired and mad...you know the scene.

I'll regroup tonight and swap my good rod onto the new handle and CAREFULLY try to get it popped on without a disaster.

I found those rods on eBay for $29!! Seems awfully high for a simple piece. I checked all the usual sources (Parragon, Pelican etc etc.) and no one seems to carry them. Anybody have a source other than eBay??

This is the "rod" I speak of:
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I feel your frustration. My drivers side door handle stopped operating, and I adjusted it 3 times to get it to work. Finally I thought I had it and I tested it 4 times. Then when I put the door panel back on it stopped working. I am going to be going at it again this afternoon. Wish me luck.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Yea, I hear ya!! I'd like to give the Mechanical Engineer who designed the door handle mechanism a dope slap!! I'm having more trouble with the dumb thing than I had doing the clutch!!!!

I've got the adjuster all the way down now...so if it doesn't work I don't what else to do. Good luck with yours!

Steve
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 PM
icat
Race Car

You bent the rod! WOW!

The install procedure is "basically" the same as the 968 door handles. My contortion suggestions can be found in the procedure in my sig. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Yea the sheet metal section at the pivot point bent...it looks like it was weak from corrosion...when I bent it straight again it cracked. DOH! Thanks for the pointer I'll try your method of connecting just the rod and then attach it to the handle...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:22 PM
rohjay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
I found those rods on eBay for $29!! Seems awfully high for a simple piece. I checked all the usual sources (Parragon, Pelican etc etc.) and no one seems to carry them. Anybody have a source other than eBay??
try Vertex. Price : $13.10 each
Old 02-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

I checked their site and couldn't find them...perhaps under a different part number?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 AM
rohjay
Advanced

You have to enter the part no. without periods or spaces.
ie. 94453726202
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a "reversing lever", try Sunset.

Match the new lever threaded adjuster to the old rod.
Working from outside the door, hold the lever with needle nose and dangle the clip over the ball on the door latch.
Use a long common screw driver to snap the clip over the ball.
Install the rod's upper piece into the piviot points of the handle/lock cylinder.

Now the hard part!

Using good needlenose, install the roll pin in the handle to reversing lever piviot point.

If you jack that roll pin up and it doesn't stay, you'll be doing this again soon.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly

Quick Reply: Door handle questions