Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Newb Questions, Want to get 944 back on road

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this is a good thread. are there others like it ?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Door lock re-installation was kind of a pain. (That little pot metal arm broke that attaches to the linkage.) At first I thought the new seals I got were the wrong ones (ended working out perfectly just have to stretch them.) The two inner linkages were hard to re-attach smaller one was worse.

Now I can have passengers!!!!

Here is where the little bitch was that leaked brake fluid all over my interior.

Rear end is also back together, car at least looks complete now. Tomorrow hopefully I will tackle new MC and carpet.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
KampungBoy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very useful thread here!!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Let me say this has been the most infuriating few hours I have worked on this car yet. I have this slight issue of the driver side footwell being soaked with brake fluid. I had some bright idea I was going to try and remove the front carpet and wash it with degreaser (including the pad) Well tonight I tried to get the front carpet out, soon found out that there was a lot of sound deadener/rubber/padding which had been deteriorating under the carpet. This was after I had the whole center console ripped out which is a royal pain in the ***. At this point I have said screw the carpet as there are no plans to salvage it. Im going to just cut out the drivers side and clean the pan off and leave it for now until I can find suitable replacement. I'm thinking it would be better to just try and find some good clean used carpet that has the padding along with it. I think what has me most angry at this point is that I thought this issue was going to be resolved in one night and now it has turned into an entire project of its own.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Clean the carpet in place, use carpet shampoo and a wet dry vac... much easier than removing it just for cleaning...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
luftpirate
Pro

There is brake fluid down between the layers of padding, rubber matt, etc, and it has started stripping paint off the floor pan so I feel there isn't much of an option here.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Yea you just have to bite the bullet and get that soaked stuff out of there. Brake fluid is nasty...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Beautiful job you're doing. And a great thread.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

I've gone ahead and ripped the carpet out. Trying to find a good source to buy just that front passenger piece. A guy on Ebay is selling them for 130 bucks which seems too cheap but I'm waiting to get some pictures of the fit from him.
Still trying to figure out how all the water got down under the dash in the first place. I'm thinking it may have happened if the drains in the upper compartment of the engine bay were clogged and it came down through the HVAC after being parked all those years.
Ripping the center console out ended up being a plus because its giving me a chance to replace all the burned out indicator lights. There is also some foam behind there which has been deteriorating.

We had some mild weather here in Ohio this weekend so I was able to make some progress.

I found the the Infinity Reference 4x6s aren't going to fit without making some plexi-glass spacers to face them out away from the inside of the door.

A wire brush works well for stripping the padding off the sound deadener/pan.

Master cylinder is back in and bled, no leaks yet

Replaced the front drivers fender bulkhead/bumper cover mount. My replacement had one of the mount holes in the wrong place (Maybe it was off a later model?) I was able to make it work by flipping the bracket it attached too upside down.

Most important performance upgrade for the weekend.

It's nice to see it back in once piece, if only the paint looked that good in person.

This hole in the pan under the passengers seat will be patched up soon. I have no idea when or what caused this but it looks like it was created by road debris, not a jack because the metal has been rolled back as if the car was in motion.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 AM
TNT25169
Instructor

I'm pretty sure I have a section of drivers side carpet in pretty good shape but I'll have to check to be sure.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also want to check your battery tray for signs of corrosion and leaks. From memory, this is a source of corrosion on the passender side floor on US cars.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Ditto on battery tray. It isn't uncommon for battery leaks to corrode this area and water comes in right above the evaporator unit. There are threads about fixing this area on here somewhere. It looks like someone already tried to repair the pan in your photo. It does happen (usually driver's side) where a crack will develop out of the front seat mount holes after years of flexing.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM
luftpirate
Pro

A 50 degree warm day for January in Ohio warrants an update. I have started the LED dash conversion as well as replacing a broken tach and some interior odds and ends. Hopefully will have the sound deadener and carpet back in soon.

Some random relay bolted under the dash.... Any Ideas? Maybe an option I don't have.

Replaced the odometer gear, I ground down the old one and used it as a shim on the shaft. Seems to work now guess well find out.

Added a third light to the Speedo, you know for the dead area where they made a hole to put one?

Here's a snapshot of the indicator lights guage. I marked all the (+) sides of the LEDs so it may be easier for the next person to line them up correctly. Almost certain they are all correct except for the fuel low light but I have no way to test it other than multi-meter. Be sure to double check before you put it all back in.

Dash cover now in, not 100% satisfied with this, fitment is really bad on the passenger side. I suppose its better than what I had. I used foam insulation peices to shim it near the edge of the window, this seemed to help getting it seated right.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
luftpirate
Pro

I had some leaks in my passenger foot well. I didn't think they could be attributed too these small cracks but after I plugged up the battery box and filled it with dyed water it was evident they were the cause.

Started by digging out all the old panel sealer.

Minor rust in some spots so sealed it all up with POR15. Finished by filling in all the gaps with new panel sealer.

Rustoleum makes an Automotive Red which is close enough for an engine bay.

Sealed up floor boards with POR15 and Rustoleum top coat.

Started laying down some sound deadener after testing to make sure the battery compartment no longer leaks.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice work. Reminds me of my old N/A. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Help! Newb Questions, Want to get 944 back on road