Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch job, w/o removing transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
A clutch job on an NA is a 4 hour job, doing it properly. Why the hell would you cut a hole in your car to try and do it any quicker?
How much 'marching powder' does it take to do this in 4 hours? Show me the secret Obi Won.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
How much 'marching powder' does it take to do this in 4 hours? Show me the secret Obi Won.
Lol, I'll be glad to school anyone in the secrets of a clutch job I think people screw around alot when they are supposidly "working" on cars, lol. I'd rather get it done and then go watch TV. I shot for 5 hours on the last 86 turbo clutch job, but had to replace the torque tube due to a frozen pilot bearing which chewed the end off the shaft, then pull the turbo to drill out a broken stud on the downpipe. Still did it all in 12 hours.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol, I'll be glad to school anyone in the secrets of a clutch job I think people screw around alot when they are supposidly "working" on cars, lol.
I'll probably be going slow because (1) it will be my first time, and (2) I've got to remember where everything goes when I put it back together. Come on down to DFW and we can punch mine out in an afternoon. Seriously though, I'm sure after you have done a few it gets much easier like most jobs on these cars.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dme
Seriously though, I'm sure after you have done a few it gets much easier like most jobs on these cars.
See, you already know the secret
Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My indy mechanic did the clutch job in 8 hours, plus another billable hour due to sending the flywheel out for resurfacing.

He unbolted the entire drivetrain aft of the bell housing as a unit, and rolled it out of the way on the rear wheels.

If I had this to do again, I'd use that procedure myself and do it in my garage. Also, I'd 1.) get one of Marcus Blazzak's clutch forks, which are cheaper and much better than stock, and; 2.) clean, drain and refill the transmission while it's off the car, being more accessible then. This would be a good time to repack the CV joints, too.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
My indy mechanic did the clutch job in 8 hours, plus another billable hour due to sending the flywheel out for resurfacing.

He unbolted the entire drivetrain aft of the bell housing as a unit, and rolled it out of the way on the rear wheels.

If I had this to do again, I'd use that procedure myself and do it in my garage. Also, I'd 1.) get one of Marcus Blazzak's clutch forks, which are cheaper and much better than stock, and; 2.) clean, drain and refill the transmission while it's off the car, being more accessible then. This would be a good time to repack the CV joints, too.
...and add a 4 wheel alignment to the labor bill because the rear suspension was R&R'd.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
...and add a 4 wheel alignment to the labor bill because the rear suspension was R&R'd.
Sears charges $90 for 4 wheel alignment on their computerized laser machine. However, I've done my own alignment using yellow thread and a 1/16" allen wrench, plus a spirit level for the camber, in just a few minutes. Car tracks straight ahead, hands off, at 110mph. This is not a big deal. After I did this, took it to laser alignment shop as a cross-check, and they refused to charge me because their laser showed the thread trick to be as accurate as their machine.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
Sears charges $90 for 4 wheel alignment on their computerized laser machine. However, I've done my own alignment using yellow thread and a 1/16" allen wrench, plus a spirit level for the camber, in just a few minutes. Car tracks straight ahead, hands off, at 110mph. This is not a big deal. After I did this, took it to laser alignment shop as a cross-check, and they refused to charge me because their laser showed the thread trick to be as accurate as their machine.

what did you use the allen wrench for?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
The axles are the worst part of taking the transaxle out. After that it's another 6 bolts or so and it's out, less than 30 minutes. I dont see the point.
I had a horrible time getting my transaxle out, but I did it with a floor jack only and had no help. It was a careful balancing act.

It's amazing how quickly people who need to use my garage and tools disappear when it's time to do a clutch...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

An experienced mechanic should be able to complete a clutch job on a 944 n/a in 4-5 hours, and 8-9 on a turbo. To remove the whole transmission takes under an hour, maybe a little bit more for cars equiped with an oil cooler (slightly more difficult access to the axle bolts).

Definately helps if you have access to a lift.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
...It's amazing how quickly people who need to use my garage and tools disappear when it's time to do a clutch...
Most accurate quote I've seen all week. I feel the same way about wrenching parties, one or two people do all the work and their own cars don't get finished.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you weld whatever you cut off back this probably isn't suck a good idea. like someone already mentioned exhaust fumes getting into the cabin is a comon problem with the 944 already.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Most accurate quote I've seen all week. I feel the same way about wrenching parties, one or two people do all the work and their own cars don't get finished.
Sounds like every wrenching affair I have been too. There is usually a directly proportionate relationship between the people who need/get the most work done to their car, and the amount of beer drinking and slacking off done by same people.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clutch job on an NA is a 4 hour job, doing it properly.
Wow. If I bought the parts, drove out to Kansas, and paid 4 hours of labor, I'd probably end up with a net savings of time and money.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

A clutch job on an NA is a 4 hour job, doing it properly. Why the hell would you cut a hole in your car to try and do it any quicker?
No. A 928 clutch takes about if not a little more than 4 hours since you just drop the bottom half of the bell housing.

A crack addict with a WSM takes 4 hours on a 944, but don't ask him if he torqued all the bolts up or installed a replacement pilot bearing

Quick Reply: Clutch job, w/o removing transaxle