Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007 | 01:48 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default clutch diagnosis

This is for you folks who have already torn your clutch apart and are familiar with the inside construction. Before I go tearing mine apart, I'd like to make sure I'm going in the right direction. About a year ago I noticed that I had significant clutch pedal vibration after a stint of highway driving with moderate accelerating. It would only vibrate for my first downshift when exiting the highway. After that it would be smooth again until the next time I drove hard on the highway. Well I took it on a 400 mile trip this weekend and it seems to be getting worse. Before I tear everything apart I'm looking for some informed opinions on what might cause this problem. Clutch, torque tube, or transaxle?

One other possibly important note. The PO replaced the clutch (himself) with a Sachs just prior to selling me the car. It has about 5K on it.
Old 02-12-2007 | 01:55 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Throw out bearing?? Mine was doing that before the whole thing crapped out. Replaced everything in the bellhousing and all is well....
Old 02-12-2007 | 02:19 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

If the clutch is new and assuming the springs on the disc are good I would look at the pilot bearing going bad. When the tip of the TT driveshaft isn't lined up perfectly the clutch disc will vibrate under varying conditions due to not being centered on the flywheel. It can start as a vibe that sort of goes away but gets worse as the pilot bearing wears out more. Many pilot bearings have been toasted from the heater valve leaking into the bellhousing. If that coolant gets to the bearing it can cause premature wear or failure. How many miles are on the engine/drivetrain? The mileage on the rest of the drivetrain would help also. Check any receipts from the PO and see if he only replaced clutch components from the flywheel back or did he do the bearing and rear main seal also. A worn TO bearing, clutch fork, guide tube, or pivot shaft/ bearings will vibrate mostly when the clutch is being depressed rather than when the clutch is fully engaged.
Old 02-12-2007 | 05:11 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

My pilot bearing was doing that. The shift lever would vibrate above 3k and you couldn't read the shift pattern. It also squalled somethimes when you let the clutch out. When it fell tatally aprt, the car was nearly undrivable, since the clutch disc was so far off center.
Old 02-12-2007 | 06:03 PM
El Commandante
Pro

which bearing squeaks when you engage the clutch? My car squeals when you engage the clutch, but only early in the morning when it is very cold. what would happen if the bearing im talking about failed?
Old 02-12-2007 | 06:14 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by El Commandante
which bearing squeaks when you engage the clutch? My car squeals when you engage the clutch, but only early in the morning when it is very cold. what would happen if the bearing im talking about failed?
I would say your TO bearing, cold grease makes squeaks. If it's only when it's cold I wouldn't worry too much for now unless you are getting chatter and vibrations.
Old 02-12-2007 | 07:58 PM
MY83944
Racer

No matter really, you should probably replace evey single replaceable part in there. At least have all parts on hand, send back what you did not need IF that is acceptable with the seller.

Clutch job was not fun for me.

I'd do it again though.
Old 02-12-2007 | 09:18 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Going over the receipts it looks like just about everything was replaced but the throwout and pilot bearings. I guess I'll start tearing it down when it starts warming up a bit. Hopefully the culprit will be evident when I tear it down. If not then I'll go with the shotgun approach. Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: clutch diagnosis