Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I consider this 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chriovorg
Is that emblem part of the bumper assembly, Sepearate from the body or is it body work time. That would be a bad spot to do body work on.
It's part of the body, a welded in panel. Dents are almost impossible to pop out of that panel because accessibility from the backside is almost non-existant.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
It's part of the body, a welded in panel. Dents are almost impossible to pop out of that panel because accessibility from the backside is almost non-existant.
thats why people take easy ways out with body filler and bondo except it will eventually crack
Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
chriovorg
Intermediate

Well It's been a while since I have posted. I have been taking my time looking trying to temper the excitement of test driving the two different 944's that were around here.

I have come accross a 86 951 black on black that is 4 hours from me. the seller inherited it and can't drive a standard. He had it towed to a honda mechanic and there it has sat for 15 months. the mechanic told me he towed it to his place for a favor because the kids father died and that he put a clutch and wiper motor in it.

Since the car has been sitting the mechanic told me he satrted it every week until the fall when it ran out of gas.

The kid wanted 3000 originally but after speaking with him on the phone he told me he would be willing to take a little less but not much.

The kid took pictures and the body has no rust or dings. It has phone dials and the interior is solid accept for some mold on the rear seat due to a hatch or sunroof leak.

The one thing that makes this difficult is that it is 4 hours away and I do not have a dolly. I will have to rent one and bring it down there with me from U-haul.

Any advice on what to look for. I will be bringing a can of gas and starter fluid. other than that what do you guys think about the deal what to look for and how should I test?

Should I even make the trip? I have not seen any non running 951's even close to as inexpensive as this and this could be a runner with gas and some TLC. By the way I do know few things cost as much as a cheap Porsche.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

True. you will end up putting 5k or more into that car. Why did the kid not pick up the car after the new clutch? I would not drive that car anywhere until it gets checked out.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I'd go for it, but I like tearing something down and rebuilding it like new.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
chriovorg
Intermediate

I would imagine brake pads are siezed so I would not drive it but since it was runnnig this fall I should be able to start it and listen to it run. I posted a couple of pics this is all the kid had.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Should I consider this 944