Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discussion before i build my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 08:38 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Default discussion before i build my engine

So its about time to start putting my engine back together. I've been thinking about a few things i would like to go ahead and do while im going through with this overhaul.

idea #1: supercharger, Just throwing it out there. I realize it may not be worth the money for the amount of power if i can only run 3 - 4 psi. But what if i throw some turbo pistons in there (which i happen to have) to lower the compression. couldn't i theoretically run 15+ psi?

idea #2: standalone, I want to get rid of as much from the engine bay as possible. I would love to just be able to delete the entire stock harness and just run standalone. I also think this option would help out with idea #1 a LOT.

another thing that i need to figure out is how hard it wold be to swap a manual steering rack into my car. would this be a direct swap or am i looking at changing hubs, ball joints, and other things?
Old 02-05-2007 | 08:45 PM
944CS
Drifting

what kind of horsepower number are you looking for?
Old 02-05-2007 | 08:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

The manual rack will swap directly into the car, you will need the manual steering shaft, early offset manual tie rods and the rack obviously.
Old 02-05-2007 | 08:59 PM
sweet9fortyfour
Instructor

Don't know if you had a computer in the mid 80's but they were not capable of many computations today's do more p/ml.sec then they did p/min. Stand alone is a must to get the most out of it. Piggy backs just mask the under-laying problems and aren't cheap for their capabilities.
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:08 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

I would go with idea #2. It leaves room for improvement. You can supercharge it later if you like. Also, with a standalone, you will be getting 100% out of your n/a motor.

You could run more than 3-4psi. Their have been a few people who made turbo motors from high compression n/a motors. If you remember Daniel951, he found out while parting his car that he had an n/a block and pistons. He was running 16psi. Also, their is a guy somewhere around rennlist, in his signature, it says "can you turbo an n/a? Yes you can", clicking on it shows a whole thead about his build. He was running 10 psi at the time.

But i would go with a standalone myself. That way you can do whatever you want later.
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:19 PM
Cass944
Drifting

good idea... now that i think about it, i should take 1 step at a time. while i have plenty of experience with forced induction, i still would feel safer getting the car to run 100% with standalone. Then once i get around to saving up enough money, ill do a custom twin screw setup.

good to know about the high comp pistons too. but even though it can be done... is it a good idea? would i actually make more power with the high compression pistons? it just seem dangerous to me is all. I've seen too many people with turbo civics blow they're cars up running high compression stock internals.

as for how much power i would like to make... I cant really say. All i CAN say is "more than what it makes now" hah
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:21 PM
Cass944
Drifting

btw: jesse, sorry i haven't updated you on my rebuild.

my gti has been having a butt load of problems so ive been dumping all my cash into that. I WILL be sending you my stuff as soon as i can though. I'll let you know.
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:55 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cass944

good to know about the high comp pistons too. but even though it can be done... is it a good idea? would i actually make more power with the high compression pistons? it just seem dangerous to me is all. I've seen too many people with turbo civics blow they're cars up running high compression stock internals.
the people in civics blowing up their cars have no idea what they are doing.

Lots of things can be achieved with proper tuning. Look at the 3L turbo engines Lindsey Racing builds. Their comp ratio is 9:1. Click HERE
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:57 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

IMHO, 9.5:1 comp ratio is perfect for a supercharged 944(10-12psi).
Old 02-06-2007 | 12:00 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

I'm doing megasquirt this summer on my 924S...Like you said, I'm gonna get it running good on MS then add turbo. That way you can work out all the bugs with a much lesser chance of blowing an engine.
Old 02-06-2007 | 12:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

for the money itll cost to "just throw" a supercharger in there, you could just throw a turbo into your garage door.
Old 02-06-2007 | 12:57 AM
Cass944
Drifting

someone always has to go there...

i plan on upgrading when this one is done. If i do go through with the SC it will be for the summer, then i will part out the charger and sell the car for a turbo.

i plan on doing a turbo overhaul next winter
Old 02-06-2007 | 01:08 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

If you want to free up space in the front end get rid of the A/C, convert to manual rack - and think about getting rid of those pop-up lamps and replacing them with the in-glass ones. Im working on forming some polycarb lenses for in glass headlamps - ill keep everyone posted on how it turns out. Also you could dump the airbox and route air intake somewhere in the front grille area and use those nifty 931 louvers to allow for airflow. If my car had no engine and I had weeks to work on it thats what Id do.
Old 02-06-2007 | 02:22 AM
Cass944
Drifting

believe me... i have some pretty bold plans for this car. the engine bay is being completely shaved... all the seems are being filled. all brackets are being removed, and type of fluid reservoir is being removed or hidden. The entire engine bay will look like one solid smooth piece, with an engine floating in the middle of it. the ONLY things that will be int he engine bay will be things that make the car run, and nothing else. no a/c, no power steering, no heat shields, no wiring harnesses, no brake lines, no stickers. Just and engine with what seems to be nothing attached to it. and on top of it the entire engine is getting hot tanked and powdered.

i have most of the body work done to the engine bay, its going to be getting paint as soon as the weather warms up a little.

anyone have any ideas for exhaust... i havent thought of anything awesome enough yet.

the other thing i havent decided on is headlights. Im thinking about just welding up the stock popups and smoothing the whole front end, then retrofitting a projector setup somewhere into the front end....

has anyone seen Damian's winkeys yet? hah
Old 02-06-2007 | 04:37 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Cool.

envious....

Quick Reply: discussion before i build my engine