Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found out why my clutch housing was stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found out why my clutch housing was stuck

...There was a sleeve in the reference sensor hole that had pretty much welded itself in, preventing the housing to drop. When I finally took it off I found I had already cracked it with all the pulling and prying. Sigh.

Anyone have a spare sensor bracket? part number on it is 944 101 321 07.

Eveything else went fairly well...save for one presure plate bolt that had to be drilled. Only disassembly left is the pilot bearing (which is shot) and the leaking seal (leaking badly).

Anyone have any good tricks for getting the pilot bearing out?

Too tired and too mad at myself for cracking my sensor bracket, so I'm calling it quits for the night!

Steve
Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a little slide hammer with two fingers that grab the inside of the pilot bearing. With a little tap-tap, it comes right out.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

I have a sensor bracket I can send tomorrow morning. I had it in my hand this morning so I know right where it's at. Offers plus shipping. Assume 10.00 for shipping max. from canada. If you want it i need shipping address, phone number etc.

Lanny
Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I have a little slide hammer with two fingers that grab the inside of the pilot bearing. With a little tap-tap, it comes right out.
+1 i used a home made slide hammer as well
Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Lanny, thanks...I'll PM you my address...just let me know how much you want me to send you.

I'll see if I can find a smaller slide hammer...what I have is too big or too long!

-Steve
Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

other methods ive heard was wet toilet paper jammed in the hole till its full, or grease, then take a dowel that just fits inside the pilot bearing and pop it with a hammer, grease or wet TP has nowhere to go and pushes bearing out. have not used those methods though
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, the crazy pilot bearing. Last one broke my pilot bearing puller tool (two arms that grab the inside). I worked on it for about 15 minutes, then it broke. So i took the old slide hammer with the visegrip attachment, and clamped on an allen head bolt, put it in diagonally in the hole, and with one pop of the slide hammer the damn thing came out. lol, go figure.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
...There was a sleeve in the reference sensor hole that had pretty much welded itself in, preventing the housing to drop. When I finally took it off I found I had already cracked it with all the pulling and prying. Sigh.
We told you.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red1
We told you.

Jobs comforter.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Ah, but NOBODY told me that one of those bracket holes may have a long aluminum sleeve in it!! Alas. Thankfully Lanny had one handy...so I continue on my saga!

-Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Oh, my pilot bearing looks like it died a LONG time ago. And the rear main seal was leaking extensively. I did NOT have a rubber center clutch though...just a fairly worn spring clutch. The presure plate looked like it may have gotton some oil on it...and it looks fairly glazed so I'm going to bring it in to be resurfaced.

-Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Okay, so I've got a new sensor bracket on it's way, so I have to ask why was there an aluminum bushing in that bore? Should it have come out when I removed the sensor? Does the reference sensor always have it, or did I have something jury rigged on my car? Come to think of it I may NEED to rescue it and use it again else the sensor will probably not fit correctly in the replacement bracket...

-Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
Okay, so I've got a new sensor bracket on it's way, so I have to ask why was there an aluminum bushing in that bore? Should it have come out when I removed the sensor? Does the reference sensor always have it, or did I have something jury rigged on my car? Come to think of it I may NEED to rescue it and use it again else the sensor will probably not fit correctly in the replacement bracket...
You need it. It may not come with your "new" bracket. It also may be unwilling to come quietly out of the original bracket. Brute force, a verbal tirade and some good penetrating oil like aerokroil usually get it out.

It's usually stuck so tightly I consider it a part of the bracket. Sorry I wasn't clear when I said you were hanging up on the bracket. Bracket, sleeve, it's all the same when it comes to getting the clutch housing off. I've never been able to get that sleeve out without removing the bracket and using a non-marring hammer.

You're not the first guy to break the bracket because of this design.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Methinks Clarks Garage could use a few edits about this!! Okay, I don't think it'll be too hard to remove now...since that's where the bracket cracked!!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pilot bearing failed and fell apart. the race was all that was left in the fly wheel. i had to carefully heat it w/ the torch and it popped right out!!

Quick Reply: Found out why my clutch housing was stuck