Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I GOT IN!!!! I'm in Porsche's Technical training program!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 364 Likes on 237 Posts

Wow, sounds like I wrote that response myself!
40 years as a tech... I got into it because I enjoy the work.
Some aspects of the business have changed over that span, others have not.
The diagnostic challenges that I used to love have been replaced to a large degree with "the bulletin says to just...." , and IMO, newer cars just aren't that much fun to work on
Things that haven't changed:
Most shops are 'flat rate', meaning you get a percentage. It is theoretically possible to generate a large salary, but that typically involves telling egregious lies about the work you've performed, AND working your ***** off. Most shops expect you will supply your own tools... I have at least $50K invested.
I can't think of any other trade that offers such a high buy in with such low compensation. Add in the virtually ZERO opportunity for advancement, along with the public's perception that you are just a stupid F'n thief...
It makes a much better hobby.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Most shops are 'flat rate', meaning you get a percentage. It is theoretically possible to generate a large salary, but that typically involves telling egregious lies about the work you've performed, AND working your ***** off.
Nowanker you'll appreciate this and Mike this is hard cold truth.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:25 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I agree. Out of high school I wanted to wrench for a living, so I took classes for it. In talking to a lot of the industry veterans I met I quickly decided it was a dead end, for the reasons mentioned. I think the only thing that can change this is for auto repair to be regulated so as to end all the shady practices, and force consumers to take it seriously as well. Seriously, $17.00/hr is a bad joke, even in 2007. After all the expense of the training and pure effort in the day to day work, I think closer to $30.00/hr is more appropriate. That's what they pay for starting wages at the research lab I work at, and all I did was take a few years of classes at a community college.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Manufacturers tout how valuable they believe a skilled tech is, but their actions speak louder.
The flat rate system is a prime example... You're paid a percentage of the work you produce. Doesn't sound so bad... but that percentage might be crap, and sometimes on a sliding scale based on productivity.
It encourages, and from some manufacturers pretty much demands fraud. It's euphemistically called 'creative writing', embellishing the repair operations performed, for more pay.
The more talented you are as a tech, the more difficult the jobs are assigned to you. It's really tough to recoup the diagnostic time you spend, and impossible to 'make time'
Not only do you beat your brains out, you bleed cash for the privilege. Meanwhile, the shop dunce is doing nothing but brake jobs (easy money!) at double your pay.
It literally pays to be dumb
Sound like they value talented, diligent techs?

My posts might sound angry and bitter...
But in fact, I'm neither. I had some amazing opportunities, and got to work on some really amazing sh*t.
I came in at an interesting time, did OK, acquired some awesome skill, and GOT OUT while I still enjoy the work and before it beat me up.
My advice: If you're smart enough to be a good tech, you're way too smart to be a tech.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:17 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
I think the only thing that can change this is for auto repair to be regulated so as to end all the shady practices, and force consumers to take it seriously as well.
Actually the government wanted licensing for mechanics the same way other Industries are. The auto manufacturers lobbied against it for fear it would cost them more in warranty repairs.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Doubt 'licensing' would be of any benefit. In CA, smog inspection techs are licensed, offering zero guaranty of any ability.
Having the ASE Advance Engine cert is a requirement for that license, surely any other licenses would be based on the ASE tests as well.
Those ASE tests are pretty amusing... Almost everyone passes, and it's a real eye opener when you find someone who can't!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Yeah, ASE doesn't mean anything because it's a business. Any testing organization would have to be not-for-profit, if not part of a government agency itself.

Quick Reply: I GOT IN!!!! I'm in Porsche's Technical training program!!!