Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Question / Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Da Bears
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Question / Suggestions

The '86 NA I recently purchased from my neighbor (original owner, perfect condition, everything works --- pictures coming soon ) had a Clifford Alarm installed by a very reputable shop here in town when the car was brand new. The previous owner at some point disconnected it (simply pulling the fuse on these old alarms did the trick). I tried putting a new battery in the remote and putting in a fuse to see if it would fire back up. Siren rings, but I can't get it to stop pressing the button on the remote. If this alarm had worked, I would have probably been happy with that level of protection - just a siren ringing when the doors or hatch are opened. Just a little something to deter thieves, I was thinking.

Well, it doesn't work and I have been debating whether cars like these even need alarms and I think I have concluded that this particular car does. If this car were stolen, I would surely get far less from the insurance company than it is worth to me. In other words, I doubt I could take the insurance money and go replace this car (due to the excellent condition of the car, the fact that I dropped 2K into basic maintenance to insure its performance and reliability (new motor mounts, all belts and fluids changed, conversion of the AC system over to the newer refrigerant, etc.).)

I am thinking of going with one of the new Clifford alarms (I've had several Cliffords over the years and have been generally happy with them) that are out on the market today. Who has opinions on the different Clifford alarms out there now? There are several configurations available. I think I like the idea of proximity sensor, I definitely want one with technology to prevent frequent false alarms (freakin' annoying), and I'd like to be able to have it open the doors and hatch (if possible). Ideas? Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
hpservertech
Pro

First off, Welcome aboard!

sounds like it just needs to be re-programmed. alarm brain forgot about your remote. may be able to find something online that will walk you through it, but the shop that installed it should be able to do it in under 10 minutes.

alarms haven't changed much over the years. remote locks, hatch release, proximity, glass breakage, have all been around for a long time. new features are the two way alarms that will send your remote an alarm, but their distance isn't that great. if your worried about getting it stolen, get something like lowjack or similar that can track where the car is. Insurance might give a big discount for this if you go with full coverage.

Some guys on here have their cars insured for an agreed upon value. I did some searching a while back and found some idea's if you go down that path.

Now all you have to do is get some pictures up so we can see the baby!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Da Bears
Instructor

Well, the shop says it should probably be replaced due to the ease of overcoming this alarm (break window, open hood, remove fuse, and you're off). Sounds reasonable to me. Your lo-jack idea is a good one. Reading on Clifford's alarm website shows that they have alarms which will kill the starter so a prospective thief can't even get out of the gate. I like that idea, I guess. Pictures coming soon.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Da Bears
Instructor

Also, the insurance for a pre-set amount is a nice idea, too. But I really don't want to lose this car so I'd rather just protect it as opposed to getting a payoff when it's gone.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
hpservertech
Pro

ive never seen an alarm that didn't have start disable with it. It's just a wire. not to stop you from buying a new one though.

I know Ungo has a gps type of alarm system. Worth it if you dont want to lose the car. even if someone takes it, I would rather know I could get in my car and find where it is (with the cops behind you!) then to think i would never see it again. They work the same way Onstar does.

With all this said, couple of things to avoid someone figuring out a way to disable your alarm. Dont put any of the alarm stickers on your car (dont know why they do this). Also, I wouldn't have an LED to show you the status installed either, but that's my opinion. Proximity alarms are "cool" but kids love to mess with them...and drain the battery.

if you go with new at least get the following added:
keyless entry - might need door lock actuators, but they are cheap ($20 for a set)
remote hatch - why not, good if it's raining and you dont want to get the groceries wet
starter kill
valet mode
manual kill switch (have them put it somewhere other then under the dash above your knees. everyone puts one there)
battery backed up alarm (well worth it)
2 alarm horns - one that isn't in the engine compartment
disable the mercury leveling switch that shuts the alarm off if it thinks it is being towed (easiest way to bypass an alarm)

2way pager and/or gps enabled if you never want to lose it. remember, if they want it bad enough they are going to take it. More important to find it before it ends up in a shop or on ebay.

edit: A good 2way alarm installed with the above (execpt GPS) should run about $250 - $350 installed. GPS will of course be more and might have monthly charges....just like on-star.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

get a club and an agreed value policy.

if someone really wants your car they will get it no matter what alarm you have in it. you want to protect yourself from the joy riders, and a club is probably enough.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Da Bears
Instructor

The door lock feature is enough for me to buy it. Going back to opening a car door WITH A KEY was like stepping back into the stone ages when I got this puppy.

Thanks for all the great advice. I never would have thought about the stickers and LED signal. Those are good thoughts. I don't like stickers on my car of any type. The LED light will probably go in, though. Remember, I've got an old alarm in this car to be taken out and it has an LED probably giving away it's age from way back when. Maybe I'll leave both in there and really throw off prospective thieves. "Hey, he's got that one and another one."
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 Leds monuted on the middle console just above the shifter on the knock outs next to the door lock buttons and sunroof button. Looks fabulious if I dont say so myself.

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 AM
Da Bears
Instructor

GO BEARS!

Quick Reply: Alarm Question / Suggestions