Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed: Need some body work done, am I being paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:14 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Burma- I think we should probably talk in more depth. Like I said I would like to have someone who cares about the car and is concerned about the repair like I am. I actually bought another fender thinking I was going to switch it out but then decided I didn't want to have to cut all of that undercoating off etc.

The fender will need some more work to be perfectly straight again so with that and the thin spots in the paint from work on it already, I think I am just going to need to have someone finish it up and make it look right again with some paint work etc.
Old 01-30-2007 | 09:17 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Yea epoxy wasn't the correct name - it was a urethane enamel one coat system. But you mix in a hardener, thus the epoxy connotation....
Common mistake, I'm just a paint nerd and try to spread some knowledge of my business around here so listers don't get screwed. It wouldn't surprise me to see some retailers selling epoxy products for this application...they are cheap to manufacture.
Old 01-30-2007 | 11:31 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

This is such a small repair, you may as well go whole hog and have the fanciest body shop you can find do it with glassurit or sikkens. The difference in cost between what you were quoted and the most expensive shop you can find would be very modest. In example, I just got an estimate on Saturday to have the right front fender of my wife's pearl white Acura RL resprayed at a high end shop near downtown Chicago. The estimate, including tax, was about $500. The fact that it is three stage pearl paint added at least $50 to the estimate.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed: Need some body work done, am I being paranoid?