Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT SPLITTER ALTERNATIVE IDEA???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Default FRONT SPLITTER ALTERNATIVE IDEA???

I brought this up in a thread on the 944turbo forum, anyway it was in a post regarding another front splitter that's available. They look good but the issue of front splitters has always been the expense and time to fit these things only to have them scrape, crack, and / or break off completely. I've always thought I'd like one but my car is lowered a bit and I race it, so I can't be bothered replacing it regularly. It occurred to me that if it was made of something like the material that the stock rear spoiler is made from or some type of urethane that it would bend or wear down rather than just snap due to the characteristics of fibreglass. It could still be painted too I would think? So is there anybody who has worked with these types of materials that could give their impressions of my idea, or is it just a pipedream?
T. I. A.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me, very similar to the foha front lip that is made for the 944 NA.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:01 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone should spend allot of time and money to engineer a very durable and functional version out of aluminum. I dont care so much about looks, but the mounting on the AIR wing is insufficient for high speeds at best. Think its possible with allot of work? maybe a urethane section that drops down and a CF downfoce adjustable flat area on an all metal frame?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^Ummmm are you saying the AIR splitter is no good at high speeds??? I've run regularly at about 145mph and its rock solid. How much faster you planning on going their sport?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I for one would like a urethane/plastic one that grinds down. Yeah, it'll be heavier, but it'll last longer. It would match the plastic side skirts too. And the thought of having cf that shatters like glass in front of the tires still doesn't sound very smart to me...
Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
^^^Ummmm are you saying the AIR splitter is no good at high speeds??? I've run regularly at about 145mph and its rock solid. How much faster you planning on going their sport?
I dont feel safe knowing its held on by a couple bolts through fiberglass and some sheet metal screws... they have a history of coming off at high speeds, as well as with only a little piece of road debris (ask me how I know)

It could DEFINATELY be better.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You mean making one that is made from the same material as the factory black batwing? I'm certain it could be done. The expense for any manufacturer would of course be the preliminary work to design the product and mold, so you would have to show enough interest to make it worth their while.

Another idea that I have always wondered about was creating a splitter that bolted BETWEEN the batwing and the bumper cover (sandwiched), like the factory 968 splitter. That would keep it up and out of harms way.

Lorax, FYI as long as the AIR or GT is attached properly, it is rock-solid at speed. I use some large washers behind the screws to reinforce the fiberglass and spread the load. I haven't had any tear out issues with either splitter (GT or AIR). The only problem I have ever had is the AIR rubbing on just about everything and getting damaged. The GT has been great, it offers at least an extra inch to inch.5 of clearance compared to the AIR. Plus from a function standpoint it sticks out further forward than the AIR.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Yeah, ive been looking at the gt one - My air lost a battle with a piece of tire. To AIR's credit it survived 100% intact just ripped out the bolts etc.

I do think some kind of lateral reinforcement that bolts to the bellypan holes in the xmember might help.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:48 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i would buy a urathane or similar material one if someone produced it, but it will never happen. there are not enough people interested to get it going. even AIR or Gt wouldnt want to make a urathane version because they would only sell one per customer interested, whereas with the fiberglass versions they are really cheap to make and customers keep buying them. too much profit involved.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan, don't talk out of your ***. I've had my car up to 175mph a few times with the AIR splitter mounted. There is no issue of it falling off if you've mounted it properly. How you mount it is up to you, if it falls off at high speed, the person who mounted it was incompetant. If it falls or tears off becuase it hit's the ground, that's a clearance issue.

I am giving it another try to make a replica air splitter that will looks as good, but have more ground clearance. give me a few months and I should have another prototype. I made one last year, but I broke the plug and the mold trying to seperate them...
Old 01-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Dont get mad - mine came off because of debris, im just saying it COULD be much better maybe with more lateral support could withstand an impact and be safer. Just trying to make improvement thats all.

Didnt dfastest lose his at like 160 or something anyway? I just dont want it to happen to me.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the splitter able to rip off easily when it catches something is what you WANT.

Think about it. If you mount it TOO securely, not only will you lose the splitter, but you'll rip off your front bumper cover too and damage the mounting points on it.

The splitter rips off easily when it catches something, as it should!

Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

mine ripped the fiberglass on the sides and ripped the monting points towards the center of the bumper, I hit a piece of tire at about 75mph. I do see what you are saying though. I guess you have to find a healthy medium.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Ryan, don't talk out of your ***. I've had my car up to 175mph a few times with the AIR splitter mounted. There is no issue of it falling off if you've mounted it properly.
+1

Had mine to over 170mph too with no issues.

Hitting a piece of tire is not a reflection of the quality of the splitter, that kind of road debris will take out/damage most front body pieces.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Is it really as functional as people say? I havent ever tested it at really high speeds.

Quick Reply: FRONT SPLITTER ALTERNATIVE IDEA???