Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid AC o-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Stupid AC o-ring question

I have recieved my replacement AC compressor and am about to move on to Round 3 of "Fix my AC" when I ran into another snag. It turns out that my last leaking rebuilt compressor used the last of those four o-rings that go directly on the compressor.

A local place has the size I need in blue o-rings and says that they'd be R-134 compatable (I'm going with that instead of R-12 for ease of topping off). Conversely, I've got a friend coming over tomorrow to evac my system and should have the green o-rings I need. The problem is that he's arriving shortly before a barbecue so I'd like to have the compressor installed when he gets here so that we'll be ready to go and not still working on the car when guests arrive.

So... with the blue o-rings work? I keep hearing people say get the green ones but I have no clue on this. Or should I just wait for the proper green ones?

Thanks,
BB.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, if the blue o-rings are the same size and diameter, they should work fine. When we (at work) do A/C work, I don't really pay attention to the color of the o-ring, rather that it fits. I'd think you would be fine with either.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks!

BB.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other piece of advice, lots of people complain about cooling efficiency when switching to R134A. If it is legal in your state, you should also consider using a hydrocarbon R12 replacement. Around here they are completely legal, and I believe they are in a few states as well. Technically speaking, they are no more flammable than R134A, but cool much better.

As for the blue vs green O-ring debate, most of the R134A compatible O-rings are also R12 compatible, and you will most likely be just fine.

I have been looking for a source for those 4 O-rings for a very long time and I cannot find anybody local. You are lucky to find them. They are leaking on both of my compressors (I have a spare), so it sounds like they are a common failure point too.

Quick Reply: Stupid AC o-ring question