Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rice or nice? ROUND 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is looking nice Ryan, but that's some crazy panties hanging from the mirror!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

looks nice. i like the wheel. Z is right about the belts. crazy, they are ok to do 150 on the track, but illegal to get a quart of milk in! like the e code headlights
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
looks nice. i like the wheel. Z is right about the belts. crazy, they are ok to do 150 on the track, but illegal to get a quart of milk in! like the e code headlights
Does anyone know why this illegal with regard to DOT? Is it due to some sort of bad specifcation?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

They probably just aren't 'tested'
Also - factory belts have some 'give' to them - do track belts?

I wonder the reasons myself.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone ever been pulled over for E-Codes, though?

/Sorry for the threadjack, Lorax. I like the insides...save all those wires hanging out on the left under the dash.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wipeout: Tell me about it! that wiring has been screwy since the day I bought it... PO did a very very bad alarm installation and then a worse deinstallation. Im in the process of trying to sort it all out but honestly I have no idea what im doing. Atleast it doesnt hotwire itself anymore! (true story)
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

The reason a lot of harness' are not DOT approved is that you can come out the bottom of them.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that interior because it's different. I haven't seen anything likeit.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Riff
Does anyone know why this illegal with regard to DOT? Is it due to some sort of bad specifcation?
There are a couple of reasons:

1. They are not specifically submitted to the DOT for approval, because 99% of the harnesses sold are used off road applications. (ie: on the track).

2. There is no UV protection built into them, since most track sanctioning bodies require harnesses to be replaced every 5 to 10 years. Thus, UV protection doesn't need to be part of the system.

3. Harnesses also have a different stretch characteristics than regular seat belts do. Seat belts are designed to prevent any movement of an occupant in the car - that's the function of the pretensioners. Harnesses stretch - much of the impact is absorbed by this stretch rather than the person's body. And harnesses are hard-mounted to the car and not integrated into the car's pretentioner system.

Want to know something else? Techincally, swapping out stock seat with racing seats can possibly fail a car during inspection as well, even if the seat is more crashworthy. Why? The car wasn't tested with those seats. This is especialy of concern with cars equipped with seats that have integrated side airbags - removing the seats remove a piece of protection that was designed into the car. Probably not too much of a concern for our cars, but still something to be prepared for. (I have passed inspection with my racing seats no problem, and I have both the stock seatbelts and 6-point harnesses..

Another note: While I have both the stock seatbelt AND an aftermarket harness setup in my car, I do not use both of them at the same time. They are both designed to be used individually, not together.

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
The reason a lot of harness' are not DOT approved is that you can come out the bottom of them.
I have never heard of this before, and it is absolutely untrue that youc an come out of the bottom of racing harnesses if properly setup. It would be ludicrous to drive a car at speed on a racetrack with a harness setup that would allow the occupant to submarine under it.

Perhaps you are referring to older 4-point belts, which have been disallowed in most (if not all) track oriented venues. To that point, there was a set of DOT approved 4-point harnesses that were used in the BMW E30 M3. I believe Scroth made these harnesses. These units used the integrated pretensioners, thus minimizing the chance of submarining under the belts.

Sorry for the thread hijack Lorax - but get those stock seat belts back in there!
-Z-man.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Has anyone ever been pulled over for E-Codes, though?

/Sorry for the threadjack, Lorax. I like the insides...save all those wires hanging out on the left under the dash.
sorry for the threadjack, especially since you are a member.

I had e codes in my 83, 85, 86, 90 RX7s total of six. I was never pulled over for them but the one time i was pulled over I quickly shut off my headlights so as not to draw attention to them.

The US had/has different rules, thats all. the ecodes were not up to the specifications of the DOT approved bulbs. whether they were "better" is not the issue, same with the harnesses. an inspection station certifies that the car meets the minimum requirements out department of transportation sets out.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Here in hall county we have no vehicle inspection that I have ever had to go through. Also no smog regulations.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might hold off on e-codes until I go through inspection to get my car registered here in Oregon. Knowing the folks here...I wouldn't pass. Any OR folks with e-codes care to weigh in? Or, better, just PM me so I don't continue threadjacking Lorax's thread!

Lorax, you're lucky there's no inspections. Maybe the environment isn't, but hey!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I just installed e codes on my car. We have an annual inspection, but my buddy takes care of that for me. The only way to tell they are not DOT lights is to look at the lense for the DOT markings. I have a hard time thinking that any inspector will do that unless hes the biggest a hole ever.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ryan, do you know what the OD of that steering wheel is?
(or the stock steering wheel for that matter)

SCCA says for stock class:
Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter
is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size.
(non- airbag cars)
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

judd944: its only slightly smaller than stock, I would not think more than 1/2 inch smaller... actualy im gonna go measure to get a rough number.

Quick Reply: Rice or nice? ROUND 2