Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 09:51 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I don't have a stock tip. It looks like a striaght round pipe.

I forgot to mention the guy said I have a 2 3/4" pipe. Not a 2.5" or 3".
Old 01-24-2007 | 09:53 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Matt- he's talking aboit welding a pipe behind the muffler not by the tip.
Old 01-24-2007 | 10:27 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

For my exhaust, custom fab from passenger side turbo all the way back labor is costing me $150. This is going to be SS 2.5" downpipe and 3" back to a borla XR1. I'm providing all the materials and it's going to involve cutting up mandrel 90's and piecing it together. I'm sure the price is a little cheap since I live in the country but $185 to put a new muffler on is absurd.
Old 01-24-2007 | 10:54 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Do you think a place like Midas or Meineke is capable of doing the job?

Anyone hear of a setup with 2 3/4" pipe?
Old 01-24-2007 | 11:47 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Never heard of factory 2.75" pipe but 2.75" does exist it's just not too common. Places like meineke and midas are hit or miss, all depends on who's working there. I used to work for midas and there were some real idiots that worked there and they all claimed to be experts. I'd goto someone with a reputation for good work, you might end up paying a little more but in the end the final product will be worth it. If you are unsure of where to go just ask around the local tuner shops.
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:33 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeeper31
That is hilarious. First of all is stopped downto talk to him today. When he wrote up a quote for me he spelled porsche PORSHE and said "I don't think I spelled that right."

Secondly, when I told him that the majority of Porshce friends I have spoken to on a Porsche web forum said I should go with Borla, he told me it burns him up when he hears someone say they got the information on a computer as he has been doing this for many years.

In his defense though he said he didn't care if I bought the muffler from him or not and that if I got a better deal on something he sells he would be more than happy to install if for me anyway.

I would like to know what the installation should cost me. He quoted me about $185 if I bring the muffler and the tip. I do not like the tip on the car and would rather go with a stock tip. I am not getting it done by this guy but would like to know if that is a reasonable estimate for the labor.

To show you where his head is at he was trying to convince me that the stock tip is ugly and since there is like a 10" span in the rear valence I should put a dual tip on. FEH!!!!! PTOOEY!!

LOL!! I paid ~$50 for mine to be installed, but the hangars were already on there. he did, however, add a reducer pipe that was bent.....all for $50.

I would NOT pay more than $75 for this install. unless there is something oddball about your setup, it's like a 10 min job.
Old 01-25-2007 | 09:10 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Dan,

It doesn't sound like you have a stock set up if you have 2.75" pipe. Unless you are just talking about from the muffler back (because it was replaced).

Maybe if you have some time you should post a couple of pictures. It's hard to make recommendations without knowing exactly what you have installed.
Old 01-25-2007 | 09:23 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Dan,

It doesn't sound like you have a stock set up if you have 2.75" pipe. Unless you are just talking about from the muffler back (because it was replaced).

Maybe if you have some time you should post a couple of pictures. It's hard to make recommendations without knowing exactly what you have installed.
I will try to get some pics. With the new cold weather and the shape my garage is in it might be tough to jack up the car but i'll do my best. Wish I could drive it to a place and have them put it on a lift to snap some. Wondering why they would replace with 2.75" pipe though.
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:12 AM
RMills944
Drifting

I wish you were closer - I'd weld that up free. It's 2 welds and a small weld for the hanger. It's not like it's a lot of work and it'll take him about 30 minutes. Go somewhere else and get a quote.

Do you have a friend that welds? Find a small mom and pop shop and get a quote. Personally, I've found that my brother and his off-road friends that fabricate cages and stuff all day tend to do this better and cheaper if I need someone else to do it.
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:23 AM
Sparky_NY
AutoX

Are you sure its 2-3/4?? I'll bet the "expert" at the muffler shop just eyeballed it.
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:32 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Call Taso, let him check out your car. or look in the metro rag and call the clubs expert. I bet he will have a recommendation for a part you should buy. maybe you can stop by his house one night and he can take a look at it for you to see what should be done.
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:40 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sparky_NY
Are you sure its 2-3/4?? I'll bet the "expert" at the muffler shop just eyeballed it.
That's exactly what happened!!!
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:50 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by jeeper31
That's exactly what happened!!!
My experience is that just because a chain-type of shop SHOULD know how to do something, doesn't mean they do. I had a terrible experience with a tire store like that. I had just gotten new tires on my BMW (225/45/17, expensive! $170 a tire was about the cheapest we could find for this size) and one had a small nail in it. Well, they:
Said they had time to patch it and didn't
Right before the shop closed thrashed the car around the parking lot and pulled it into the garage TIRES SQUEALING
Dismounted the tire (deeply scratch the wheel)
Pointed out to me that the bead on the tire was heavily torn (because they had just torn it- the tires were just installed a week prior by a pro with special tools for low-profile tires)
So I told those guys to not touch my stuff anymore. I put on my spare, threw the wheel and tire in the trunk separately, and drove off.

Sorry for a bit off-topic but the moral of the story is that I would never take anything nice to a place that is any sort of chain. Especially in Durham.
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:54 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by RMills944
I wish you were closer - I'd weld that up free. It's 2 welds and a small weld for the hanger. It's not like it's a lot of work and it'll take him about 30 minutes. Go somewhere else and get a quote.

Do you have a friend that welds? Find a small mom and pop shop and get a quote. Personally, I've found that my brother and his off-road friends that fabricate cages and stuff all day tend to do this better and cheaper if I need someone else to do it.
Thanks for the offer, that would've been great. Unfortunately I do not have a friend that welds. I will look into some other shops. Brought my other car to a Meineke shop once cause I couldn't get teh O2 sensor out. They worked on it for a bit and got it out and installed the other one. They did a decent job and I was greatful. Maybe i'll stop by there.
Old 01-25-2007 | 11:02 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Anybody have any experience with Edelbrock mufflers?

Quick Reply: Muffler