Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Sparky_NY
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper31
No mods. Just a Lindsey Boost Enhancer. Thinking about chipping it too soon.

it is going on my turbo. it's funny but the car seems really slow on the low end. i have to realize this when pulling out into traffic. it doesn't have the pep my 944S had
That does not sound right.... more likely your now addicted to boost and the car SEEMS really slow when not under boost. If you noticed, boost comes on sooner in the higher gears. (lower rpms for full boost) I can get full boost at about 3100 in 4th or 5th, 1st and 2nd its about 3500.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Might not sound right but it happens. it takes a bit for the car to get moving. In my 944S it had enough low end pep to get me ito traffic. with the 951 I really haev to choose my spaces to fit in to the flow of traffic. This is when starting froma stand still.

just when I think I made up my mind I call a local muffler shop to see if they caryy Borla Mufflers. He said he is not a dealer and why do I want to put one in? He said they suck and I should go with a magnaflow. he is also a Flowmaster dealer but didn't mention them. He said he has seen them rot out and they are overpriced.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

my turbo feels the same way. I much prefer the S2 as a daily driver. but as far as low end torque is concerned I think I preferred my LT1 in the camaro over my LS1 in the GTO. but the GTO had pleeeeenty of low end torque, which made me think the NA was running on two cylinders for the first few days after i sold the gto.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom R.
my turbo feels the same way. I much prefer the S2 as a daily driver. but as far as low end torque is concerned I think I preferred my LT1 in the camaro over my LS1 in the GTO. but the GTO had pleeeeenty of low end torque, which made me think the NA was running on two cylinders for the first few days after i sold the gto.
I think I would like to try your turbo again. I shodl have when we were all together.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

I think I would like to try your turbo again. I shodl have when we were all together.
coming back from pocono i got my butt kicked next to an explorer from a stoplight till the boost kicked in!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

He said they suck and I should go with a magnaflow.
I wasn't happy with my magnaflow. It had so much resonance at highway speeds. You couldn't listen to the radio. I found myself cruising in the 4,000 rpm range because it was quieter than the 3,000 range.

Magnaflow's website says they aren't supposed to do that. But no one ever returned my emails when I tired to tell them about my problem.

It could have been because I had a high flow cat and upsized the piping. I don't know. Eitherway...wouldn't go back to them.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

The fact the guy was a magnflow dealer should tell you somthing. The borla is SS, not a spot of rust in over 5 years.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My magnaflow sounded ricey - especially on the stock piping and had NO power over stock. You'd be pissed at yourself for putting that on your car. Best thing I did was taking that off... I gave mine away, that's how impressed I was with that one...
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Sparky_NY
AutoX

My 951S has a 3" SS system completely from downpipe to muffler, the muffler is stock. The sound is nice, deep, not a rice burner clone. It does get much louder under full boost but it is a nice sound, much like a large 4 cyl motorcycle. I wouldn't want anything louder. In 4th and 5th gear I get full boost almost instantly at 3000 rpms, but then I don't know what a stock system does in this respect.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

He said he has seen them rot out and they are overpriced.

Hey dude, it's your decision:

A). Tens of rennlisters suggested the Borla: when have we let you down?

B). The muffler shop guy say's the Borla's are pieces of **** (probably b/c he can't sell you one): can he even spell Porsche???

GO BORLA!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by hockeydude
Hey dude, it's your decision:

A). Tens of rennlisters suggested the Borla: when have we let you down?

B). The muffler shop guy say's the Borla's are pieces of **** (probably b/c he can't sell you one): can he even spell Porsche???

GO BORLA!!!
That is hilarious. First of all is stopped downto talk to him today. When he wrote up a quote for me he spelled porsche PORSHE and said "I don't think I spelled that right."

Secondly, when I told him that the majority of Porshce friends I have spoken to on a Porsche web forum said I should go with Borla, he told me it burns him up when he hears someone say they got the information on a computer as he has been doing this for many years.

In his defense though he said he didn't care if I bought the muffler from him or not and that if I got a better deal on something he sells he would be more than happy to install if for me anyway.

I would like to know what the installation should cost me. He quoted me about $185 if I bring the muffler and the tip. I do not like the tip on the car and would rather go with a stock tip. I am not getting it done by this guy but would like to know if that is a reasonable estimate for the labor.

To show you where his head is at he was trying to convince me that the stock tip is ugly and since there is like a 10" span in the rear valence I should put a dual tip on. FEH!!!!! PTOOEY!!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

185$ for labor seems absurd. I cant think it would be more that 60$.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

That"s what I was thinking. He said because of a hanger he has to cut it back further and add a bent pipe.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
thayes
AutoX

After reading this thread, I have a couple questions:
I have a crack in the pipe, just a head of the cat and it appears that perf has degraded in the mid/high range rpm and the car seems to kinda sputter. Could this be due to the leak and lost of back-pressure?
Did we ever conclude satisfactory perf of 2 1/2" cat to 3" Borla muffler XR-1 and acceptable perf?
Suggestions on installations? Mom and pop shops or Walt’s chain shps?
Lastly, racing perf aside, what would be the quieter, good perf and on the cheaper side of a muffler replacement?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

That"s what I was thinking. He said because of a hanger he has to cut it back further and add a bent pipe.
I would guess around $ 80 for installing a muffler and exhaust tip.

Couldn't you cut the old tip off right after the hanger and weld a new one on. I don't understand the whole bent pipe thing. But the 944 exhaust is annoying being that it's one piece from the cat back including the exhaust tip.

Quick Reply: Muffler