Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 03:02 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

So the consensus is I should stay with the 2.5" pipe and just get the Borla?
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:15 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE]If I do not replace that pipe with a 3" now is there any benefit from going with a 3" in/out muffler as opposed to a 2.5" in/out for the pipe I have on there now?

What if any gains would there be from going with a 3" pipe between the cat and muffler? how much for just that pipe?
QUOTE]
There isn’t much of a gain, if any going to a 3” from the cat back. Most of the gain is from the test pipe. If you just want the sound I say stick with the muffler and get a test pipe down the road. A full 3” can give you as much as 10%, but I don’t think you would see that much in a relatively stock car.

As mentioned you do loose some mid range going to a 3” as it takes longer to spool the turbo with less backpressure.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:20 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeeper31
So the consensus is I should stay with the 2.5" pipe and just get the Borla?
Yes. Or spend your money on something else.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:21 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

for a thousand bucks you can get speedforceracing or lindsay's cat back system, plus a cat plus installation, and have some $ left over i think.
Not for a SS system. Lindey has a cheap steel one, but I don't think you will find a cheaper complete SS sytem.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:33 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Yes. Or spend your money on something else.
Like?

(What are you doing here? heh heh)
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wormhole
Not for a SS system. Lindey has a cheap steel one, but I don't think you will find a cheaper complete SS sytem.
http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...tomexhaust.php
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:38 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

[QUOTE=Wormhole]
If I do not replace that pipe with a 3" now is there any benefit from going with a 3" in/out muffler as opposed to a 2.5" in/out for the pipe I have on there now?

What if any gains would there be from going with a 3" pipe between the cat and muffler? how much for just that pipe?
QUOTE]
There isn’t much of a gain, if any going to a 3” from the cat back. Most of the gain is from the test pipe. If you just want the sound I say stick with the muffler and get a test pipe down the road. A full 3” can give you as much as 10%, but I don’t think you would see that much in a relatively stock car.

As mentioned you do loose some mid range going to a 3” as it takes longer to spool the turbo with less backpressure.
Last question and I will make my decision: Should I get a 3" muffler and use a reducer to install to my 2.5" pipe. Would there be a loss of power with just the 3" mufler?
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:49 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeeper31
Like?

(What are you doing here? heh heh)
I don't know...after putting the exhaust on the 944 I felt like it was a waste of money.

I still like to check in on your guys....besides.....not as much action on the 911 forum.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:53 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Tom, if you add the testpipe and catback from SFR it is over 1K, unless I was missing something else. I was taking about a complete SS system which also should include the downpipe, I think SFR has that for 300 alone.

Dan, a 3" muffler alone won't make much of a difference. The stock muffler is actually a straight through design.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wormhole
Tom, if you add the testpipe and catback from SFR it is over 1K, unless I was missing something else. I was taking about a complete SS system which also should include the downpipe, I think SFR has that for 300 alone.

Dan, a 3" muffler alone won't make much of a difference. The stock muffler is actually a straight through design.
Ahhh. Gotcha!
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:55 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I didn't report any gains or losses with the Flowmaster Super 40 2.5" However, it did sound a lot nice. It's a gas mileage killer for the straight through mufflers. Hope that helps Jeeper. Oh and on a side note, I used to have a straight through Dynomax on a very good engined 1984 car before someone T-boned it. I took that muffler right off when I felt the loss in pickup!
Old 01-23-2007 | 04:06 PM
RMills944
Drifting

With a turbo, I'd go with a 3" all the way back if possible. Do you have any mods to the engine or do you plan on any mods? At least a 3" down pipe would help it breathe better if nothign else.

I know with my TDI, a down pipe and 2.5" or 3" exhaust help keep the engine gas temps down and that's on just a little 1.9. Letting the turbo breathe is a good thing as long as you don't lose all backpressure. You need something for the exhaust to scavenge with, but a lot less pressure is necessary for a turbo. Everyone recommending sizes for piping needs to keep in mind this is going on a turbo, not the NA in your signature.

For a NA, I recommend a 2.5"
for a turbo I recommend a 3"
Old 01-23-2007 | 04:19 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by RMills944
With a turbo, I'd go with a 3" all the way back if possible. Do you have any mods to the engine or do you plan on any mods? At least a 3" down pipe would help it breathe better if nothign else.

I know with my TDI, a down pipe and 2.5" or 3" exhaust help keep the engine gas temps down and that's on just a little 1.9. Letting the turbo breathe is a good thing as long as you don't lose all backpressure. You need something for the exhaust to scavenge with, but a lot less pressure is necessary for a turbo. Everyone recommending sizes for piping needs to keep in mind this is going on a turbo, not the NA in your signature.

No mods. Just a Lindsey Boost Enhancer. Thinking about chipping it too soon.

it is going on my turbo. it's funny but the car seems really slow on the low end. i have to realize this when pulling out into traffic. it doesn't have the pep my 944S had
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:36 PM
Sparky_NY
AutoX

Originally Posted by RMills944

I have gone to Watkins Glen a few times for the vintage races. I was looking over the 962 and was amazed how the turbo's were mounted near the side of the car with only about 1 foot long exhaust pipe exiting !!!
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:44 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I dont think a 3" downpipe is remotely necesary on a car with a stock turbo, but then again Im no scientist.

Quick Reply: Muffler