Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket vs. OE gasket question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Aftermarket vs. OE gasket question?

I'm ready to start ordering gaskets and various parts for an engine refresh/reseal for a 90K Turbo engine on a stand. Needless to say have a few questions. I would like to use the WideFire HG but am apprehensive about some of the other gaskets and seals that come with many of the 'package' deals, especially the oil pan and cam cover gaskets. I have had a few quality issues with the Victor Reinz gaskets on the BMW and am sort of gun shy at this point. I see that several vendors here identify the manufacturer and others don't. Since these engines tend to leak like the Exxon Valdez I only want to do this once.

Any advice or input on reliable sources for a quality set of seals, assembly lube preferences, and rod bearings would be greatly appreciated. I'll check the crank thrust bearing and other various tolerances once I have the engine to that point. The engine will hopefully not see service over 325whp or 17psi.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A vacationing penguin is driving his through Arizona when he notices that the oil pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Always use quality seals!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
MAD MAC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oem is worth the extra money. But there is always the make your own gasket paper.JK
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAD MAC
Oem is worth the extra money. But there is always the make your own gasket paper.JK
According to one source Victor Reinz is the OE supplier to Porsche for these sets and the dealer would suplly the same thing. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, VR is a OE supplier to Porsche. We use their gaskets on all our engine builds, and our engines don't leak. This goes for 930, 911, 996TT, 944, etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM
MAD MAC
Instructor

When you open a Porsche factory box with all the pretty lettering; the part inside says Victor Reinz. Oem is the company that made the part for Porsche. It's like that all over the car. Bosch, Boge, Sachs, Fte and many more brands.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Yes, VR is a OE supplier to Porsche. We use their gaskets on all our engine builds, and our engines don't leak. This goes for 930, 911, 996TT, 944, etc.
Thanks Doc. That's takes care of some of my QC concerns. Now to find the best prices on all this. I'm amazed what a complete head/crankcase/front reseal set runs $$$. I hope I don't need rings. I have to do the leakdown test on a cold motor on a stand and I'm not sure how badly that will effect the results. I suppose separate wet/dry tests will tell me something about the condition of the rings as long as the valves are fairly tight during the test. The motor ran great before it was pulled from a friends car that was badly rear-ended.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Thanks Doc. That's takes care of some of my QC concerns. Now to find the best prices on all this. I'm amazed what a complete head/crankcase/front reseal set runs $$$. I hope I don't need rings. I have to do the leakdown test on a cold motor on a stand and I'm not sure how badly that will effect the results. I suppose separate wet/dry tests will tell me something about the condition of the rings as long as the valves are fairly tight during the test. The motor ran great before it was pulled from a friends car that was badly rear-ended.
Let me know what all you need, and I will see what I can do on prices as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
944CS
Drifting

Just because someone is an OE supplier doesn't mean their quality standards are the same as Porsche demands when Porsche places an order. This is true for all manufacturing.
I've heard that the cam box gasket is higher quality/will not leak nearly as soon if you buy from Porsche

Quick Reply: Aftermarket vs. OE gasket question?