Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOMEONE HIT MY S!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 11:56 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, Rennlist is now an internet legal advice forum, internet body shop forum and also an excellent internet tech forum.

All wrapped up in one little url. Thanks Al!
Old 12-12-2006 | 12:59 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-12-2006 | 02:39 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

I think you would be hard pressed to find a body shop that would fix that for under $1000.
Old 12-12-2006 | 05:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Annoying that the hit is in the "must do bondo" part of the car! Fender, door hood would be easy to just replace.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2006 | 06:03 PM
RMills944
Drifting

An estimate takes like 15 minutes.

A reputable shop that uses decent material will be close to 1000 if not more. I had a dent about 1/2 that size in my door a while back from someone backing into me. That one cost me over $900 and it wasn't anywhere near a fender seam like yours is. That will complicate things.

I'm sure the family will be fair about it, but keep track of your witnesses just in case.
Old 12-12-2006 | 10:32 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by Dmitry S.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a body shop that would fix that for under $1000.
got the quote, for all those who said it would be only "3 bills", i either took bad pictures cus its my phone, or you just had really bad estimates. Total quote from a body shop reccomended by a porsche mechanic was $3300, if there is more damage it could go up another 1000. The other party knows they are guilty because they told us to call their insurance company finally today, and the cop, security gaurd all agreed it was his wrong. New parts included a whole new quarter panel and all that stuff, now I have to drive around an econobox honda , but my car is getting fixed as of now
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:06 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

he was right. three bills. thousand dollar bills, but three bills none the less. aaarrghh!

Yep this one is done. time to stick a you know what in it.
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:45 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
he was right. three bills. thousand dollar bills, but three bills none the less. aaarrghh!

Yep this one is done. time to stick a you know what in it.
stupid me, i thought he meant 3 digits
Old 12-12-2006 | 11:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Hey- although putting a quarter on the car is the way to go, claiming this on ins. they may try to total it. You may ask them how much to pop it out and fix it. - not really your problem i guess if they cut you a check but hate to see it totalled cuz of a stupid dent.
Old 12-13-2006 | 12:19 AM
Ed 944T
Advanced

I'd be tapping that dent out and using bondo before replacing the quarter panel. Removing the quarter would require drilling out numerous spot welds around wheel openings, hatch area, cutting into the door jamb, messing around with were it attaches to the roof and rear panel, just not worth it. If this was done, it would still have to be rewelded, with the loss of any galvanized protection. Can you say rust?

I worked on many Porsches and other autos in the past, was always a bit of a perfectionist, and would opt for replacing the quarter. On some cars its easy and the way to go, but not on 944's. Any bondo work is reversable in the future, a quarter that is rotting around the edges because of rust is not.
Old 12-13-2006 | 12:28 AM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed 944T
I'd be tapping that dent out and using bondo before replacing the quarter panel. Removing the quarter would require drilling out numerous spot welds around wheel openings, hatch area, cutting into the door jamb, messing around with were it attaches to the roof and rear panel, just not worth it. If this was done, it would still have to be rewelded, with the loss of any galvanized protection. Can you say rust?

I worked on many Porsches and other autos in the past, was always a bit of a perfectionist, and would opt for replacing the quarter. On some cars its easy and the way to go, but not on 944's. Any bondo work is reversable in the future, a quarter that is rotting around the edges because of rust is not.
im just telling you what they told me, not my choice. Like I said before, a porsche mechanic/friend reccomended them, said they did great work, and their facility is pretty impressive, so I think I trust them. Plus, I think a turbo is in my near future now.......
Old 12-13-2006 | 01:18 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I had a repair done on a front fender and I thought they should have replaced the fender. The dent was worse then the picture that you posted. They banged it out (without removing it) and they don’t use bondo if they need to fill it. They use lead. When I got it back I thought that they had replaced the fender. I even felt from behind the fender and I couldn’t feel anything that wasn’t smooth. But when you looked under the hood you could tell it wasn’t replaced.

If you find the right place with real craftsman you will be surprised what they can do. This is a place that works on high-end cars. And they weren’t cheap, but I bet it would be cheaper and better then replacing the quarter panel
Old 12-13-2006 | 11:01 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I agree...replacing the quarter will open up your "rear" to rust. A really good bodyman should be able to bang out and massage the dent so only finishing putty needs to be used.

I know a dent guy that can pull anything out and work it to almost back to normal. He's expensive, but worth every penny.

Glad to hear the jerk will pony up some $ though. Tell him to avoid mommy's insurance increasing he should pay you in cash..then YOU decide where it gets fixed...and how.

We have adopted "no fault" insurance here in Canada...a real PITA.

Quick Reply: SOMEONE HIT MY S!!!!