Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake problem!!

I have noticed lately that my car has been making a clicking noise in the right rear wheel. It happens most promenently(sp?) when letting the car slow down under its own engine power. It also does it under hard throttle and seems to kind of dissappear when i press the clutch in. Like all other problems, when i took it to my mechanic it went away, now that its home, its back again. I looked under the car and noticed that the left side parking brake line into the caliper is nice and tight(when the parking brake is NOT engaged), where as the right side is loose as a ****. This is making me think that it is something in the parking brake mechanism that is clicking each time the axle rotates. I also have heard of it being the CV joints needing a repacking, but i have no idea? Can anyone explain why the parking brake line into my caliper is so loose while the other is so tight? Thanks to anyone that may be able to help my problem!!!

-Nick
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a cv joint clicking to me...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

You'd have to get under there and see if the cables and their housings were properly in place and attached. Then check the adjustment.

The thing that makes me lean CV is that the sound goes away when you dissengage the driveline. Without load, the CV won't make noise. It's internals are just floating. When it is loaded, it makes noise. Many times, CVs only make noise when coasting down from speed with the driveline engaged.

If you don't know whether they've ever been done, and the car has 60k or more, do them as proactive maintenance.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
picklejuice52
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much! I will tell my mechanic to repack both sides when i get my T-belt done. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Parking brake problem!!