Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need upholstery done to my car... in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
elite001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need upholstery done to my car... in Ohio

Hi guys,

I am thinking of doing dome upholstery done to my car, such as I have torn and cracked of seats and dashboards... I have been doing some local shops here in columbus, OH that doing kinda of upholstery stuffs, and I am being quoted for $600 just for the seats... with like leather vinyl material stuff..

now that I am thinking that is really expensive... considering I also thought I would like to do the dash and posibly changing the whole carpet if possible or reasonably price.. but now after I get quoted for that much, I'm thinking it is beyond my thought to pay that much... and to be honest I am just a broke college student trying to make my way of my first car

my question is, I know there are some fellowers here in this forum that are from Ohio and around.. I wonder if anyone could share their input if they ever done things like I wanna do, if so how much were you guys being charged and for what things being done to your interior.. I'm really having trouble now thinking on how to fix my 944 interior...

and btw.. I am not a mechanical person, so I might able to do some minor/easy job/mods to the car by myself.. but when it gets to complicated such as doing upholstery like this I really feel that I am not able to put my hand on this that I have to go to the shop to do it... and pay... so yea doing by myself not an option at this mods I guess.. but like I said tho..

please help... and thanks a bunch for reading...

Last edited by elite001; 12-07-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
MY83944
Racer

That is a fair price to re-upholster the seats IMO -

I paid the same amount a few years ago.

And I wore the bolster out already . . . .

Leather, next time, I am going back to leather.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

theres a place down here called Wanda's upolstery she always did a good job for me and charged very little compared to others- course its been awhile and its in cincy.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by MY83944
That is a fair price to re-upholster the seats IMO -

I paid the same amount a few years ago.

And I wore the bolster out already . . . .

Leather, next time, I am going back to leather.
did you pay $600 just for the seats only? do you do anything to your dash? or whole carpet replacement?

let me know thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 02:33 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the dash overlays are @ $100 bucks...if installed correctly they make it look new again.

The price on your seats sounds in the ball park. I had seats and the rear panel redone for a 914 I rebuilt and it was $800 (Canuck$).

Carpet sets vary from place to place. Check ebay and places like Pelican, Automotion, etc, etc....get domestic pile its way cheaper than OEM German.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your in college man, give yourself some credit. id say of you can change your oil you can probably reupholster your seats. check out the guys onebay, and of course the RENNBAY reupholster kit, people speak volumes about that kit. simple hand tools and a few hours of your time they'll look like new. i plan on doing this in the future.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:43 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
your in college man, give yourself some credit. id say of you can change your oil you can probably reupholster your seats. check out the guys onebay, and of course the RENNBAY reupholster kit, people speak volumes about that kit. simple hand tools and a few hours of your time they'll look like new. i plan on doing this in the future.
Hey, thanks.. I didn't know this forums sells stuffs too.. I was just looked at it and will there be any instruction for this upholster kit from rennbay? is it easy to do?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by xsboost90
theres a place down here called Wanda's upolstery she always did a good job for me and charged very little compared to others- course its been awhile and its in cincy.

can you tell me how much you pay tho? I will travel if the difference in price is reasonable...
also can I know the telephone number of this Wanda's shop and could you possibly ask her if she could do me package done to my car from seats, whole carpets to dash.. (since you said she's always charge you reasonable price.. ) please.. and refer me and I will definately in business...

let me know... and thanks alot...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

you will be spending more on the interior than the car is worth. tread lightly. make sure the car is mechanically correct before tackling the cosmetics.

when was the timing belt replaced on your car? do that first or you will have a very nice lawn ornament.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom R.
you will be spending more on the interior than the car is worth. tread lightly. make sure the car is mechanically correct before tackling the cosmetics.

when was the timing belt replaced on your car? do that first or you will have a very nice lawn ornament.
not too long ago about 3-4 months maybe... all new water pump,belts, hoses, pulleys, tires all good..

so I think I'm ready to go for interior..
Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Belt should be retensioned at 1,500 miles after the change.

I've had a cracked dash for the past year, doesn't bother me too much. I will do something about it one of these days. However, other things you want to check first... cosmetics are the last thing you should spend money on:

1) Belts and water pump - the retension that I mentioned, and if there's no receipt for that belt [edit: and hose/waterpump] change, I'd pull the cover off and check it - just for insurance. Search on "po" or "previous owner" and you'll find that a lot of pos have lied about the car, screwed the car up, or screwed the car up then lied about it. A bad balance belt or water pump can also wreck the cam timing belt and destroy your valves, since they're in the same area.

2) Fuel lines - search for "burned" and you will find a surprising number of cars that have had fires, because the 20 year old rubber fuel lines have cracked

Not trying to scare you or anything - these cars can be amazingly sturdy and reliable, but there is a lot of preventative maintenance to be done - especially since this seems to be your primary transportation and there isn't a lot of extra money to throw around.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dunno the # just do a 411 for cincinnati Ohio Wanda's upolstery they should be able to help you- i think i paid like 300 for a set of riviera seats- they upolstered the fronts and reused the material from the back of the seats. That was awhile ago though. May be worth it to find a nice set of used seats also..
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Belt should be retensioned at 1,500 miles after the change.

I've had a cracked dash for the past year, doesn't bother me too much. I will do something about it one of these days. However, other things you want to check first... cosmetics are the last thing you should spend money on:

1) Belts and water pump - the retension that I mentioned, and if there's no receipt for that belt [edit: and hose/waterpump] change, I'd pull the cover off and check it - just for insurance. Search on "po" or "previous owner" and you'll find that a lot of pos have lied about the car, screwed the car up, or screwed the car up then lied about it. A bad balance belt or water pump can also wreck the cam timing belt and destroy your valves, since they're in the same area.

2) Fuel lines - search for "burned" and you will find a surprising number of cars that have had fires, because the 20 year old rubber fuel lines have cracked

Not trying to scare you or anything - these cars can be amazingly sturdy and reliable, but there is a lot of preventative maintenance to be done - especially since this seems to be your primary transportation and there isn't a lot of extra money to throw around.

no, no, no at all, I thanked you for telling me this.. and I will look for poor previous owner thread first.. and check it out my car too after that..
and thank you again for the input.. really appreciate it and don't feel anything bad.. just shoot me anything you have in mind.. suggestion.. and I will be glad to hear it from you...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:13 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i dunno the # just do a 411 for cincinnati Ohio Wanda's upolstery they should be able to help you- i think i paid like 300 for a set of riviera seats- they upolstered the fronts and reused the material from the back of the seats. That was awhile ago though. May be worth it to find a nice set of used seats also..
okay.. will do... thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop out here wanted $600 for the front seats alone, and $300 for the rear.

instead I took out the top half of the rear seat (never used it anyway) and put Corbeau TRS's in the front. I figured if I was getting seats, I'd get something with bolsters that I liked!

Quick Reply: need upholstery done to my car... in Ohio