Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Ebayer in Cincinnati-Be aware

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

took 200$ from me for some "new" shocks.. sheesh. no parts, just a receipt.

UPDATE: different seller- not in Cincy. Update from e-bay: refund on the way.

Last edited by Chris_924s; 12-08-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I won't complain about shipping prices, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Most times, you can't get that part any cheaper anywhere else so you're only going to end up paying more.

Everyone does it, not just ebay. Check any tire website that gives free shipping (discount tire vs tire rack, etc) the tires are inflated on the free shipping sites to help offset the shipping costs..
Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

I hate to disagree with you on this as I have been burned the same way you have.. as you so eliquantly put it .. what he charged you to ship has nothing to do with what it costs him. Shame on you ( and me to more than once ) for bidding anyway even though you did not have shipping issues sorted. If you do bid before clarifying .. be prepared....

sorry to hear about your bad luck . but there IS a lesson here ...
Old 12-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Kudos to eBay and the nifty shipping calculators. They screwed me out of $35 last week.

I sold a pair of Konig seats. Instead of selling them as a pair I sold them as having a quantity of two. The winner bid on two seats and of course the shipping calculator calculated only one box. Payor paid immediately and I sent my dad to a friends store to ship em. He charges us his actual which is a little less than calculated by eBay/UPS since he has a UPS account etc.

bottom line, i got about $45 from the buyer before PayPal (yep they are your pal!) took their cut and ended up paying my neighbor $79.

Live and learn.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shouldve put the weight for both...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
shouldve put the weight for both...
That would have scared away any people that wanted just one.

I sold the two sets of side mounts to two different people.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sold many products on ebay and I currently have 8 items for sale. Ebay charges a listing fee of 3% on a sliding scale, upgrade photo fees, transaction fee, reserve auction fee,buy it now fee and a final value fee, if your buyer pays you with paypal you have a final value fee for paypal. Altogether these fees approach 10% or even more, many times the only way to insulate youraelf from these fees is to make it on the back end( shipping and handling) what matters is in the end how did your total price landed at your door compare to the same product at a retail establishment. Eaby is here to stay and I am afraid that the worl is becoming a much smaller place now that it is here. Part's distributors and the Stealer, I mean Dealer historically took advantage of us for simple items like timing belts and rollers set's, noe this can be purchased for 1/3 of the dealer priceon Ebay from various shops and the parts are O.E.M. There is a fellow in Jacksonville who is a Porsche mechanic and he sells custom polished and powdercoated parts on Ebay, his stuff is great for the money. I know the mechanics and dealers hate Ebay but thats life maybe if Porsche labor wasnt 110.00 per hour and parts overpriced Ebay wouldnt do so well
Old 12-11-2006, 12:05 PM
johnny1423
Pro

Folks....
By beef with the whole situation is this....
The overcharging for shipping( yes i do understand why) is one thing...
but for the guy to refuse to allow me to meet him at his convenience, at his choice of location, and me to buy him lunch...just for the sole purpose of getting $20 more dollars out of me...this is what I take acception to.
I got the pipes and they are nice....the issue is over.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe he has privacy issues, or has found people to be unreliable. I have sold a few things locally on Craigslist and often regretted not selling on ebay and shipping stuff (and I hate shipping stuff!) Face to face buyers often seem to not show up, show up late, offer 1/2 the agreed amount, offer to barter for breast milk or deep-tissue massage, etc. He may be selling on ebay to try to reduce the hassles of face to face sales. I can understand that.

-Joel.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny1423
Folks....
By beef with the whole situation is this....
The overcharging for shipping( yes i do understand why) is one thing...
but for the guy to refuse to allow me to meet him at his convenience, at his choice of location, and me to buy him lunch...just for the sole purpose of getting $20 more dollars out of me...this is what I take acception to.
I got the pipes and they are nice....the issue is over.

You agreed to buy the product with the agreed shipping. You must known that the over priced shipping is part of the total the buyer will receive. Why are you insisting to break the agreement and meet him for some “lunch”? Would you do the same? No offence but it’s none of your or my business why the seller doesn’t want to meet with you.

Did you ever offer him to knock $5 off the hipping and you’ll pick it up in person? That would have been a realistic offer, not a free lunch. OR perhaps just pay him the shipping and pick up the part yourself (if you need it that fast).
Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A few times I got tired of tripping over parts so I sold parts with local ads and have given out my address for local pick up. I had guys showing up a month later unannounced after flaking and my wife hates it. This is not unusual believe it or not and sometimes if they need other parts, they assume they can come right over uninvited to buy parts because I have enough parts to run a 944 army. They don't understand this is my home and my parts are overglorified lego sets for my car hobby (or sickness as my wife puts it). If I wanted to run a business, I would have reverted back to what I did 15 years ago and have a 17,000 square foot building/lot with a mechanical shop/car dealership.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
owner944
Instructor

I know several people who have their business address a PO box just for this reason.

Quick Reply: Bad Ebayer in Cincinnati-Be aware