Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routing KISS oil cooler for n/a under nose panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Routing KISS oil cooler for n/a under nose panel

Anyone with experience hooking up the KISS oil cooler (using the sandwich plate). Are the supplied oil lines long enough to route the oil cooler under the nose panel? I havent taken many measurements, but does anyone know off hand if that Mocal cooler will even fit under the nose panel in that space?

There is limited space to hookup one under the valance area for a n/a (atleast any spot that gets air flow without taking the foglight out), i figure with the vented nose panel it will be a nice spot.

I figure i can piece something together that would work, but if this saves me the trouble of having to source the cooler, AN fittings, lines and sandwich plate i would rather go this route.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious, using the sandwich plate is there a thermostat?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Zero, it does state that there is a thermostat with the sandwich plate. My car is a daily driver and with the temps right now running 10w40 it takes long enough to get the oil past 150 degrees. Running another cooler i would probably never get past that.

I mainly want it for the summer in particular at auto-x. The last couple of events where i was really running the car hard in July through Sept i saw oil temps up to 220-225 degrees at the oil pan where i have the sensor tapped into (thats running 20w50). Also water temps, though still within reason were up to about 225 degrees by my last run. I figure with the increased cooler and oil capacity it will lower the temps a bit and help take some load off the cooling system.

I emailed KISS about it a couple days ago but havent heard back yet.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed KISS about it a couple days ago but havent heard back yet.[/QUOTE]

I have been trying to get a copy of there installation instructions from KISS...
He is real paranoid he thinks we are going to steal his idea undercut him and force him out of business no kidding...

You might have better luck contacting Lindsey Racing they are a Kiss reseller..

-BB
Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

couldnt you mount it under the front bumper kinda behind the license plate area?? Plenty of room where the intercooler was- just make sure you have the plastic air foil thing in place to direct air up to there from under the bumper.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing, on a cooler day it could be a horrible thing for your engine to keep oil temps at like 70*F. So long as it has a thermostat this sounds cool.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Those temps are not excessive, but are up there a bit. Were they noted JUST after a run, or sometime afterward? In any event, you are not doing enough damage in a 2 minute run to worry about, most likely.

Your street temps are so low that I can postulate that it is the lack of airflow velocity and volume that heats your car up so much autocrossing. I'm not sure you stand to gain that much with that little Mocal unit unless it is right out in whatever airstream there is.

The nose might flow enough air - or the right amount - to cool you enough without being excessive... or it might not. It's not a great flow area, I'd bet, but it might be enough. Behind the bumper would be pretty "dirty" air. In front of the rad would get you a LOT of direct high speed air, but it might be too much for street.

I think you're going to be in for some testing. Just for a tease...

Quick Reply: Routing KISS oil cooler for n/a under nose panel