Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine for a 937 replica

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 AM
GhostHacker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for a 937 replica

I have a 924s I plan to turn into a 937 ('81 carrera gt) replica someday.

I would like to give my car the power it will deserve. So how do I add a turbo charger to a non turbocharged 2.5l. I won't be doing it till after it is a good replica.

This isn't really a "how do I turbo my na" thread but I expect flames any ways.

Here's what I have so far

turbo intake on a NA head
turbo exaust manifold on an NA head
turbo, turbo (duh)
turbo intercooler (Maybe lindsey stage V)
adjustable wastegate (MUST HAVE to limit boost 2-6 psi)
mainfold to tip exaust (sucks cause I'm about to buy a new NA one this week)
piping

From what I understand the above parts WILL bolt up to the NA block.

For fuel it seems like new options are opening up and I'll just pick the best...
1)MaxTronic
2)tec3
3)ms
4)wolf3d ems

:note: I have noticed that lindsey version of the wolf 3d ems is a full version old and now unsupported my wolf ems. So I would buy a new unit straight from them which would acually be cheaper $1,800. However, if the lindsey version can read the inputs from the speed and refence sensors then... Does the new wolf unit do the same. If so move it to the #1 spot on my list.

or worst case scenario would be to use the FQS to scale the map and retard the ignition

I'm getting sleepy now but want to get my plan "approved" by the guys here who know what works and what doesn't.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

no offense, but how is this not a "how do I turbo my n/a thread?"
You have an N/A 2.5 liter essentially 944 engine, and you want to add a turbo.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want 937 replica, then you have to have a turbocharged 2.0 under the hood.
As for engine management?
For app. 1000$ you could get VEMS Genboard v3.3 that supports Porsche 944 crank trigger setup and all other stock sensors and it will do all types of ignition straight out of the box (including COP, CDI and even IonSense if you have proper hardware).
It has built-in dual WBo2, EGT and knock support.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

you know, I have wondered for a while why people say you can't turbo an N/A car because you need a stronger drivetrain to handle the power, but what drivetrain did they use on the Carrera GT/S/R? Wasn't it just the a modified 931 drivetrain?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Why not save yourself some trouble and drop in a 951 motor and tranny complete? It would be a lot easier than rebuilding your motor than having to worry about the tranny handling the extra power.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Here is a thread about slapping a turbo on

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...rera+gt+tranny

one about the gts/r tranny

and if you decide to do it.....BRAKES!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do more than 2-6 psi

Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
you know, I have wondered for a while why people say you can't turbo an N/A car because you need a stronger drivetrain to handle the power, but what drivetrain did they use on the Carrera GT/S/R? Wasn't it just the a modified 931 drivetrain?
The "snailshell" Porsche trans in those cars was WAY WAY WAY (WAY) stronger than the 944 N/A trans.

944 trans + additional HP = steel granola.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:54 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

The CGT had an '80 931 trans - a snailshell type.
The CGTS I believe also had pretty much the same.
The CGTR had a derivitive of the above, snailshell type, with a nice big fat diff, either straight from or derivative of the 917 diff. It's pretty large.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for what you're looking to do - why wouldn't you just swap in a 951 drivetrain??? Though yes, a 2.0L Turbo would be "correct" a 2.5L T would give better return for the same or less effort. Easier to do aftermarket EFI/engine management on!!!

I still don't see how this isn't a "how do I turbo my NA?" thread.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
GhostHacker
Advanced

Agreed... The Snailshell is notably tougher but I don't foresee any problems with a gently treated 944 trans. You have to be smart about your driving and avoid things that could seriously damage your drivetrain. This said a transmission swap would occur just perhaps not immediatly.

This isn't a turbo my na thread because right off the bat "sell and buy a turbo" is not an option.

the regular 937 motor was a fair bit more than a 931 motor. Many of the parts to create are expensive or hard to find. Not mention the value of the experience I already have with the 2.5. however a direct swap of the 968 3.0 with Variocam would definatly float my boat. even more if I can link it to a standalone and run COP.

as for the straight 2.5t swap, I would like to keep my low end power and fear that motor while easily having better topend might not be as much fun in the lower. I'm just looking for a little extra on the top, for passing and the fun moments.

and ooooh the vems how could I forget. are yousure it supports COP as that would a nice selling point. mmmm dual WB02. MS, as cheap as it is, is falling on my list as router board release has come and gone without product the last time I cheaked. It seems like the development priorites have shifted to the GIO board or whatever they call it.

Thanks for the links ahead of time as I haven't looked at them yet. but I'm sure one of them is probably the guy who did it. which is awesome as I lost the bookmark.

probs to that guy.

lt1+aluminum heads disquaifies the car from club racing in the future.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostHacker
Agreed... The Snailshell is notably tougher but I don't foresee any problems with a gently treated 944 trans. You have to be smart about your driving and avoid things that could seriously damage your drivetrain. This said a transmission swap would occur just perhaps not immediatly.
I realize the reason for holding off the swap to a better (951 or S2) trans is probably financial, but think about this. While your N/A trans is still good, you could sell it for anywhere from $300-$500 depending on the mileage and location. Once it blows up, its only worth its weight in scrap, at best. Consider purchasing the better trans while this one is still good (before the swap is finished) and putting that money toward the better trans. A good used 951 trans can be had for not much more than what you would be able to sell the n/A trans for. Waiting a bit could be "false economy" if it grenades before you get around to getting the other trans. Food for thought.

I really am reluctant to put much more than the intended HP thru that N/A trans. Just my 2cents here.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Once it blows up, its only worth its weight in scrap, at best.
I think steel is somewhere around $0.67/lb. right now. Not sure about cast, but its probably close.

Not a very good return on investment IMO.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:50 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just because you don't forsee any problems doesn't mean there won't be any.

I don't see how "sell it and buy a turbo" isn't an option. Perhaps you need to better explain your goals/motivations.

But you say you want low-end torque - then 3.0L definitely makes far more sense than 2.0L turbo setup, be it 931 or 937!!

I'm certainly familiar enough with a CGT motor; a friend around the corner has both a CGT and a GTR. I've seen all the bits; you could even build a GTR motor out of a 931 motor, if you're good enough at fabricating. The vast majority of the GT and GTS parts, not to mention 933 and some GTR, were made from modified stock parts. The GT, just bump the compression, boost, similar things, easy enough to get equivalent performance or better, especially if you're not bent out of shape about making it factory-original.

Bottom line, define exactly what you're trying to make with respect to styling and performance, we can give much better direction about how to get there from where you are...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
fork_included
Pro

why make more power

when one could reduce weight

Quick Reply: Engine for a 937 replica