Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch Shenanigans and Control Arm Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:34 PM
faze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch Shenanigans and Control Arm Woes

I was looking to tighten down the hatch the other day, and when I started messing with the bolt things that actually secure the hatch (at a loss for the nomenclature), I found that one was broken to the point of coming off. Well, I knew I needed to replace it, but it wasn't a huge issue until today. We've been having nice weather all week, so of course things go wrong on a horribly rainy day like today. I am driving down the street, minding my own business, when I notice that I can see out the back window really well. Too well. The damn hatch popped up on its own! I got over as soon as I could, and jumped out and closed it. Well, not two minutes later, it popped again! All of a sudden I am regretting installing the new hatch struts. Bollocks.

So, I need the latch bolt thingamajig; if any one has the hook up, it would be appreciated. Might need the assembly?

Also, last night, we went to pull off my right front lower control arm, since it has a bad (baaaad) ball joint, that was apparently rebuilt by the PO (unskilled maroon), and we couldn't get one of the bolts out. It's just spinning. Is this a common issue? Any idea how I can the the inner rear bolt out? (know what I mean?) Tips would be appreciated. I have a replacement control arm that I got off eBay which claimed to have good ball joints, but they are only good compared to the blown out one I have. I am fairly pissed off, but that's what I get for doing it eBay. Any ideas or help on this issue would be appreciated as well!

Cheers.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like one of your rear castor block bolts is spinning? Those dont get tightened real tight- i usually just go by hand- may need to put a pry bar between the arm and the frame, pry downwards alittle to apply pressure and hit that bolt w/ an impact to get it to come out. Could be interesting getting it back together if they broke the nut up inside the frame loose though...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

If I understand you right, you replaced the hatch latching pins. The latches are not closing completely around the new pin heads. You'll need to fiddle with the height adjustment some more, methinks.

If you look at the rear castor block bolts, you will note they are thread forming bolts. The tapered end with the little v-cut out of it? Those threads are formed by the bolt in the sheetmetal when the bolt is installed at the factory. Not very good threads, not near as good as a machine cut or formed insert thread, and they will not take a lot of torque. Those were over-tightened, and are stripped.

Do what Dan said to get it out. I had the same problem with my car. I put a longer non-tapered bolt in mine years ago, and was VERY careful with it. It lasted until this year when I finally stripped it out for good. I drilled and tapped it out to the next size, which was SAE... 0.50" I think? I don't remember. It holds nice and snug now.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 AM
faze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to get the control arm sorted in the next couple of days. As for the hatch latch pin, I haven't replaced it yet and that is the problem. Should I get it at the dealer, or is this something one of the sponsor sites might be able to get to me cheaper?

Quick Reply: Hatch Shenanigans and Control Arm Woes