Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got flamed the last time i respnded to a post like this one.

it's refreshing to see other folks responding to stupid101.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Nothing against anyone in particular but:

1. It is a given the public road is not a race track.

2. With that given, people driving on the road are not going to look for people racing on the streets (example: when you change lanes you don't expect a car coming at 200 mph so you don't look 1 mile behind you to change lanes).

3. Anyone who expects other drivers to look out for race style driving and how to act in response is just idiotic considering how little it takes to get a drivers license.

4. Under full race conditions, NO ONE gives away their position and "move over" and anyone expecting that is idiotic.

5. NO ONE CARES ABOUT TRAIL BRAKING OR TOP SPEED BANK TURNS ON THE STREET. All I know is, if some idiot spins out thinking the street is a race track and kills my family while not dying in the process, I will finish it for them.
what if my tire blows while i corner at the post speed limit because there was a broken beer bottle on the ground that i didnt see, lose control and take out a family van full of kids, thats just an accident right?

now add to the fact that i happend to start turning from the opposite lane and was traveling slightly faster than the posted speed limit ,i'm a loose calamity all of a sudden.

i gather you're either a priest or a politician...

the OP does not deserve to get flamed, he clearly posted that he has assesed his own fault and a wrong choice

"glad you learned your lesson" would be an appropriate response, none of this high and mighty lectures that your giving.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

An accident is an accident. An intentional act is all together different. I am not a priest or politician. I have done much worse than 99 percent of the population on the streets and am lucky to still be alive not killing anyone else in the process. I can admit I was beyond an idiot when I was younger than 25, which I am guessing the same age as some of the posters here. In fact, I can't even think of a word to describe the stupid things I have done on the public highway in a car or a motorcycle and lucky to only have lost my license twice in the past. Holding my 15 day old baby and reading this post at the same time not only makes me regret the things I have done in the past but also thankful I didn't hurt anyone (too much) in my previous accidents due to lack of skill for the driving I was doing. Don't justify, glorify, rationalize street racing or wreckless driving. It only encourages it.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
fork_included
Pro

An accident is an accident. An intentional act is all together different. I am not a priest or politician. I have done much worse than 99 percent of the population on the streets and am lucky to still be alive not killing anyone else in the process. I can admit I was beyond an idiot when I was younger than 25, which I am guessing the same age as some of the posters here. In fact, I can't even think of a word to describe the stupid things I have done on the public highway in a car or a motorcycle and lucky to only have lost my license twice in the past. Holding my 15 day old baby and reading this post at the same time not only make me regret the things I have done in the past but also thankful I didn't hurt anyone (too much) in my previous accidents due to lack of skill for the driving I was doing. Don't glorify street racing or wreckless driving. It only encourages it.
a typical older guy bashing on the younger guys even tho he did the exact same thing when he was younger.

such hypocricy!

while i totaly undrstand that as an older individual, having gained life experience you feel a need (and it really is a need, to teach the younger generation), you have to back off a little bit and realize that not ALL people learn from example or lecture, and will ONLY learn from personal exprience.

the OP admited his fault, why dont u congratulate him on that rather than attack the "concept" of racing on the street.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My post is not directed at him personally. Its all the rationalization and "racing" discussion that bothers me. If the guy I hit squarely in the drivers door while trying to make a right turn too fast with 3 other people in my car came out and gave me a good *** kicking, I would have deserved it, maybe even curved my driving habit a bit. I wouldn't need someone telling me about how to cut that turn with a fully loaded car making that turn as fast as I could. Yes I was one of those idiots who needed to learn by personal experience or maybe a good beating by victims of my wrecks in the past. Hopefully others won't need as much as someone else telling them about what not to do on the road.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:09 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fork_included

the OP admited his fault, why dont u congratulate him on that rather than attack the "concept" of racing on the street.
Congratulate him for what? Driving like a moron and almost wrecking his car in a reckless, stupid maneuver on public roads?

Am I missing something here?

I really wish people like you had their licenses revoked.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Congratulate him for what? Driving like a moron and almost wrecking his car in a reckless, stupid maneuver on public roads?

Am I missing something here?

I really wish people like you had their licenses revoked.
yes, you really are missing something

he realized the error of his actions, not many people do that.

and revoke MY liscence? you dont know anything about me, or my driving record, or how well or poorly i drive, let alone whether or not i actualy race around.

people always talk about what SHOULD happen, when people should act in response to what DID happen.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM
fork_included
Pro

My post is not directed at him personally. Its all the rationalization and "racing" discussion that bothers me. If the guy I hit squarely in the drivers door while trying to make a right turn too fast with 3 other people in my car came out and gave me a good *** kicking, I would have deserved it, maybe even curved my driving habit a bit. I wouldn't need someone telling me about how to cut that turn with a fully loaded car making that turn as fast as I could. Yes I was one of those idiots who needed to learn by personal experience or maybe a good beating by victims of my wrecks in the past. Hopefully others won't need as much as someone else telling them about what not to do on the road.
you're quite right

but so am i

so lets just leave it at that,
Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Project 951
thx for the comments guys, yeah it was a stupid move on my part and i learned from it. My brain was telling me to get off the brakes, but fear of crossing into the other lane to make the turn told me otherwise. Still if that ******* had pulled over and not caused a ****load of trouble, i wouldnt be telling this story
Exactly which one is the a hole?
A) the guy minding his business that may not have seen a clown with more car than brains behind him?
B)The guy following the guy with more car than brains that had 4WD so he could stop quicker?
C)the guy with more car than brains?

Momma told me if unsure of the answer always go with C. This time i am sure, and i choose C.

As for fork, i wish i knew as much in six years of autocrossing and almost 30 years of driving as he learned in two seasons of autocrossing. I also wish i knew how to drive a car like it was meant to be driven. How did i ever handle 350hp in the GTO, 300+hp in the Z28 and all that power in the other umpteen cars I owned that had much more power than any of the Porsches Ive owned or own.
you're quite right

but so am i
so lets just leave it at that,
I disagree!! I am with lego on this, and lego and I have not agreed on many things over the years. You not only dont know what you are talking about, but your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance. The personal attacks are neither warranted or wanted on this technical forum.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on guys, calm down.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without reading the previous "stuff"...

It's important to make sure your car is up to spec before you try this kinda stuff!

Turbo brakes in good order kick ***! No reason why you could not have pulled out of the speed match.

Unfortunately, flashing your brights is like waving a red rag at a bull. Jump quick and hard...

Best part is you have learned a valuable lesson, and have lived to share it! You don't know how important that is!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

what if my tire blows while i corner at the post speed limit because there was a broken beer bottle on the ground that i didnt see, lose control and take out a family van full of kids, thats just an accident right?

now add to the fact that i happend to start turning from the opposite lane and was traveling slightly faster than the posted speed limit ,i'm a loose calamity all of a sudden.

i gather you're either a priest or a politician...

the OP does not deserve to get flamed, he clearly posted that he has assesed his own fault and a wrong choice

"glad you learned your lesson" would be an appropriate response, none of this high and mighty lectures that your giving.
hahaha, really? This is your definition of logic? Yep, a blow out is entirely the same as a guy coming round a corner wayyy to hot for what is safe on a public street. BTW, running over a beer bottle will not result in a blow out.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Exactly which one is the a hole?
A) the guy minding his business that may not have seen a clown with more car than brains behind him?
B)The guy following the guy with more car than brains that had 4WD so he could stop quicker?
C)the guy with more car than brains?

Momma told me if unsure of the answer always go with C. This time i am sure, and i choose C.

As for fork, i wish i knew as much in six years of autocrossing and almost 30 years of driving as he learned in two seasons of autocrossing. I also wish i knew how to drive a car like it was meant to be driven. How did i ever handle 350hp in the GTO, 300+hp in the Z28 and all that power in the other umpteen cars I owned that had much more power than any of the Porsches Ive owned or own.I disagree!! I am with lego on this, and lego and I have not agreed on many things over the years. You not only dont know what you are talking about, but your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance. The personal attacks are neither warranted or wanted on this technical forum.
personal attacks? where do you see me personaly attacking anyone?

mind you i dont beat around the bush like you do, if you want to say something say.

ignorance? arrogance?

i could say the same thing for you, your ignorance of the fact that a younger person may possess a level of knowledge equivalent to yours, and your arrogance to think that just because you spent more years on this planet that you are ultimetly right. both of which lead to a dismissal of what the younger person says, regardless of the underlying merrit.

it plays both ways.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
hahaha, really? This is your definition of logic? Yep, a blow out is entirely the same as a guy coming round a corner wayyy to hot for what is safe on a public street. BTW, running over a beer bottle will not result in a blow out.
way too hot for what is safe on the street

or way too hot for what the driver can handle?

big difference there.

===========

okay fine, scratch the beer bottle, lets say a box of jagged metal pieces like in those spy movies.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

mind you i dont beat around the bush like you do, if you want to say something say.
ignorance? arrogance?
I said it. "Your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance." Welcome to the rennlist community. Now lets see if you can offer something of value to the community.

Quick Reply: spun the turbo