Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow I'm an idiot just crashed the 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks... I just wish it was the damn bumpers. I know it is most likely fixable but I don't have a big bag of cash lying around right now so I have to drive it looking like that until I have the money maybe by summertime to get a body shop to look at it. I hate having a big dent on the car I have to look at it everday now.

Yeah the toyos are pretty expensive but I don't like to cheap out on tire. I actually wanted yokohamas, he said he can get he H4s for my car but those cost another 95 bucks and he said that the toyos and yokohamas were pretty much the same performance wise. I just wanted good all season tires that were really good in wet wheather as it rains alot here.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car black or graphite? I have a spare Black 944/951 rear bumper in perfect condition. I should also have a rear sidemarker lying around somewhere. Those pieces are easy to get on ebay too... you could prolly get the bumperette piece and sidemarker for under $50 shipped to your door. Then I'd look at about $500-$1000 to get the dents removed from the fender. I'd get that done Asap as there will be bare metal where it's creased, and you'll start to get rust very quickly. And rust is like a disease.. it spreads..
Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Zero10
Race Car

The damage sounded completely different from the original explanation.
I see now. That will not be very hard to fix for an experienced body shop person. I agree with the $500 estimates above. Definitely under $1000.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I definately can't get it fixed until summer, I spent all my money on maintenance , tires etc.

The bumper is perfectly fine, not even a scratch, it's the lower right rear fender as shown in the pic that has a big dent going in. I'm not sure what colour the car is, it's a dark grey colour it was actually repainted just this summer before I bought it.

I can put some Por15 pain on any spots with eposed metal (I didn't see any) so it doesn't rust until it gets repaired.

yeah I'm guessing 500-1000 to get it done. I'll have to look around to get the best price. I'm guessing they just have to pull the dent out as best as they can, bondo/ sand it down and paint it.

I will need to replace that light asap though
Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I have a spare side marker for sure, hit me with a PM. Shipping from PDX should be quick.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some stupid bitch backed up into my civic yesterday. I was gonna be cool about it like I was with the girl that rear ended me a couple months ago, but after having to chase her down and do manuever in front of her to get here to stop, she told me "c'mon, look at your car and look at mine!" (Persian, yep you geussed it, BMW 325is sedan) I was like "did you honestly just say that?" "just give me your insurance info and we'll have them take care of it"
Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

haha, yeah I at least appoligized for being an idiot. After that I was kind of pissed off that the guy had come so close behind me when I was backing up... and he didn't honk, but he said that he thought that I was going to go forward.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

If you are going to have it repaired at a bodyshop eventually, don't try to fix it yourself temporarily. You will make the repair more difficult and costly. Its not that bad, about 5 hours to repair plus paint time.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

That's not bad. You can get to that sheet metal from behind so it can be pushed out.

I'd do that and then bondo it then do some rattle can painting. $50 and only you, us and your closest friends will know. Oh, you'll need a side marker.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:50 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
...the bumper of some ****tty old toyota...
Don't talk trash on the innocent vehicle because you're not aware of your surroundings.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
Don't talk trash on the innocent vehicle because you're not aware of your surroundings.

There is a guy on the Toyota board posting about how someone in their ****ty little 944 just backed right into his pristine T car....lol, JK of course.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I ordered toyo tpt tires which costs 750 for 4 tires....... the guy said that they are good in the dry and wet but not for snow but he said that all of the all season tires are not of snow. I was looking for good all season tires that are good in the wet and okay in the snow...I just hope that my car is fixable so I can get it fixed in the summer when I have the money.
Why not buy tires that are more in your budget and put the savings towards fixing the damage.

I know you said you already ordered them but you have the option to still cancel. IMO $750 for 4 tires that are not even high performance tires is toooo much even for Canada. Tire Trends is a mail order store in Maple Ridge BC near Vancouver. I don't buy from them because of the cost of shipping accross the country but I always check out their prices first before buying tires from anyone. Go to their web site and look up the tires you are intrested in then add about $25 to $30 to the price to adjust for shipping, mounting and balancing, you will get an idea of what you should be paying for the tires from a store in Canada.

http://www.tiretrends.com/

Toyo Proxes TPT are designed more for sedans (read: soft side walls) like Camry or Maxima, you can get better tires that suite the 944 for less. Since you are not really looking for tires for the snow check out:

http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=377

EXAMPLE: You can get the original H-rated 215-60-15 size or the V-rated 225-50-15 for less than you are paying for the Toyo TPTs. We get more snow than you do, my buddy put on 215-60-15 ZE512s for last winter and he says they were well worth the money.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mark Lue; 11-26-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You ought the be fine. If you don't have the cash to fix it now, buff up as much as you can, mask off the bare metal parts and put SOMETHING on it so it doesn't rust (as little as possible over the decent paint).

If you need to feel better about what your car looks like, just look at mine.
<
<
<
P.S.
That's a _really_ flattering picture of it. Seriously.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks, guys. yeah there isn't really metal exposed (I can't see any). I have por15 paint that I can use but I don't want to make the repair or painting more costly.

I think the toyo proxes tpts will be okay for me, I know they are not the best tires for performance on a sports car but I don't do any crazy driving so they'll suit me fine, they should be way better than the crappy old kumho / bf goodrich t/a I have on now.

I wasn't sure if kumhos are decent tires, the guy said that he has kumhos that are much cheaper than the toyos.

I want to get new tires on my car asap because mine barely have thread on them and aren't safe in the wet wheather.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oh and about the snow, I changed my mind I'm not going to try and drive my 944 in the snow, but I'm lucky it doesn't snow much here and usually melts pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Wow I'm an idiot just crashed the 944