Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon Tech articles hacked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Howdy partners! Long time no type...

Smacktards, indeed - I refer to them as asshats, myself.

Anywho, your personal data is safe within the vaults of Paragon HQ. Just to be very clear and honest, here's the skinny:

- absolutely NO personal data including credit card information is at risk of compromise.
- the tech-session.com website is completely isolated from Paragon-Products.com and SuspensionOnline.com
- the tech-session.com site was hacked over the weekend.
- the software used to run the portion of tech-session.com that was hacked is not open-source. It is purchased Knowledge Base software. The tech-session.com website does use some open source software - specifically, the photo gallery uses Coppermine Photo Gallery.
- tech-session.com will remain down until I fully understand the ways in which they gained access and am assured by the software vendor that the patches are in place to prevent another same-type hack.
- we do have complete backups of the site and should have no trouble restoring it to it's former beauty.
- tech-session.com does not use encryption of any type. It is merely password protected.
- our commerce sites, Paragon-Products.com and SuspensionOnline.com, are heavily guarded against compromise. 128-bit industry standard SSL Certificates are in full use. Our commerce software passes the tough accreditation standards put forth by the credit card companies and bureaus (PCI-DSS/CISP). Further, our site is hosted by one of the most secure data centers available. The commerce software is a purchased solution from a major vendor that is used to power thousands of sites worldwide. It is not open source and they continuously strive to counter threats and vulnerabilities. We take your security very seriously, and so will our software.
- we do not store PIN or CCV information. Once verification is completed, and charges made, this information is deleted from the server. This is an industry standard practice, but some companies are not yet compliant.
- if all of that doesn't convince you, please call us with your orders or charge information - we love to talk to customers! Especially Jason - that guy can go on, and on, and on...
- we like peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches just as much as the next guy. Though, I love to spread a little marshmallow fluff in there from time to time. Yum!

Please, if you have any questions, ask.

Have a better day than me!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:24 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for taking the time, Skip - here's to a speedy recovery!

75ohm!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skip
- the software used to run the portion of tech-session.com that was hacked is not open-source. It is purchased Knowledge Base software. The tech-session.com website does use some open source software - specifically, the photo gallery uses Coppermine Photo Gallery.
Hey Skip, in my statement above I should have been a little more clear in what I was referring to. I was referring to the php programmning language being an open standard and widely known, not to reflect poorly on the specific forum or gallery software you use. I apologize if it came across that way.

If you guys need a helping hand in the dissection or rebuilding feel free to give me a yell.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problemo. In that sense, it is open source - I was thinking more of the Freeware/Shareware avenue. Thanks for the offer. Hope to have it back up soon.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip
- absolutely NO personal data including credit card information is at risk of compromise.
Good to hear!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Russel is correct, the tech-session site is COMPLETELY seperate from our online site. There is NO credit card or customer info on that site. No need to worry.
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I will call paragon on monday morning to give paragon a heads up. Last week i ordered some parts and it came to roughly $1200. Now my credit card called me and said that there was another charge for $1200 that they were curious about. It was from www.walmart.com
I didn't order anything from walmart. It is just a weird coincidence that the two were the same amount. Maybe someone hoping i wouldn't notice. $2, i wouldn't bat an eye. $1200?
It's great the my credit card company caught it.
The only other place i order parts is for my TR6. http://www.the-roadster-factory.com/
So i will alert them as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have not had any security breach now or at any time in our companies history that would compromise credit card info. We have numerous firewalls and credit card info is encrypted as soon as the order is entered. If you ask me to repeat your card number after I've entered it I can't do it....all we can do is confirm the last 4 digits. We meet all requirements placed on us by MC, Visa, Amex and Discover and our software provider has frequent updates to insure we don't have problems. I'm sorry I missed this post when first made as I was out of town. I'm now back at work so if you have any questions please give us a call at 800-200-9366.

Thanks!

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think paragon or the roadster factory had anything to do with my credit card being wrongfully used. It could have been hijacked from the airport wifi where I did the transaction. I guess it's a lesson to us all to be really careful how we use our cards. Its great that the security measures are in place because they sure worked in my case.

Quick Reply: Paragon Tech articles hacked?