Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon Tech articles hacked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:02 PM
JohnA944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paragon Tech articles hacked?

Wha is going on? when clicking on the tech session links it is giving a hacked paged.

Why would anyone want to hack the tech session page with Islamic jihad propoganda?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of hackers do stuff with absolutly zero logic
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

There working on fixing it. Nothing is secure these days, they pretty much scour the the web looking for anything vulnerable.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

smacktards.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My websites have been around for so long (~10 years) I get hack attempts every day. A lot more so since I became a Rennlist sponsor. Bots crawl Rennlist all the time, spamers try to enter bogus users on my forum to spam it, hackers try constantly to hack my realmailonly.com because they can't get past my spam filters. The most recent attempt came from a machine called '****.you.russell.t1crew.org'. So I guess they really don't like me much...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM
JohnA944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yea i know they are always trying to do such things, but what gets me is the message at the bottom that states I have backed up your database and will give it to the world for free.

The site was already free......what a tard...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:20 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Ahh yes. When parents try to be their children's best friends. This is what you get.

BTW: Who's manages quality control of the humans? I'd say they are really falling down on the job.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think what they meant by
" I have backed up your database and will give it to the world for free."
Is that they have a backup copy of the database that contains all the site login information, passwords and any credit card information they had stored on the database and they will share all that information with the world. I have bought from that site and as a precaution I closed the credit card account that I used there simply because I dont know what is stored on their database or which database the hacker claims to have. I also changed my password that I used there. If he got a hold of the sales database anyone that has bought anything from that site is at risk. Hackers suck.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Damnit think it would be a good idea to cancel my account?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Until we hear differently from Paragon, then taking 10 minutes to cancel a credit card and waiting 7-10 days for the replacement is much better than spending much more time calling about any false credit card charges. I keep a separate card for all online purchases ONLY for exactly this reason. I do sysadmin work and if they got hacked by something called "SQL injection" and IF Paragon uses an account on their server that logs the app into the database that has alot of permissions on the server itself, a good hacker can take control of the database and create a backup of it and download it to him/herself. Scary stuff. I just looked at my account and there is an option to save credit card information on the site, which is stored in a database. I want to hear from them about which database could have been hit, but if the hacker could have created a backup of one database, they could back up all the databases on the server. We deserve to get information from Paragon about protecting ourselves. They are good people but getting my personal info stolen aint cool.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Don't go into a panic over this, this was just the tech forum which has nothing to do with Paragon's main sales site. It was hacked because it was an insecure open forum software. Your forum name/email/password might have been stolen but there is no credit card or sales information on the forum site you can be sure.

Relax...
Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Russel is correct, the tech-session site is COMPLETELY seperate from our online site. There is NO credit card or customer info on that site. No need to worry.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 11-22-2006, 03:41 PM
hpservertech
Pro

As a network engineer I can imagine what they are going through right now. Just for these cases I always use one of the Visa pre-paid cards when making on-line purchases. I dont have to worry about someone getting their credit card numbers stolen. It's worth the hassle for me to get them refilled and plus the wife never knows how much is on it so she never grabs it out of my wallet.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason for clearing this up, I take the necessary precautions until I hear differently when it comes to losing having my personal information at risk online. We as internet users never really know how a site is built and what information is saved on them and should always be careful rather than passive with our online personal details.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

You know I've been in the internet since it was DARPA, am all to familiar with the risk. My firewall and security products are used by governments, law enforcement agencies, banks, global corporations, etc. But when it comes to other people's info on my own servers, I won't allow it. I host sites for several companies who do online business, I direct the sale of their product to another site. As secure as I know my servers are, I will not fall into the false belief that no one will ever hack them. They haven't been able to so far, but that does not mean they won't. So any transaction of business or personal information that takes place from my servers is directed to other sites for the actual transaction leaving me with ZERO liability/responsibility for other people's money and personal info. It's just not something I will ever want to have to deal with. Companies like Paragon who do a lot of online business take huge steps to secure their online community from being compromised, my hat's off to them.

Quick Reply: Paragon Tech articles hacked?