Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottom mount seats mount and conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Bottom mount seats mount and conclusion

I just got off the phone with Zach and then Jim at Konig in plainview LI. I was made to feel like a total fool that doesnt know what he is doing. I cant even get the basics right.

last month i bought two seats from them on closeout. Jim (i think) then told me they were cobra imolas. he told me they would take a sparco, recaro, or momo mount, but not a corbeau mount. he first said they were bottom mounts then said they were cobra imolas and to get what fits an imola. that was last month.

cobra imolas are side mount seats. I then spent 150 on a pair of side mounts that day from bimmerworld because they had em in stock. I then ordered a pair of sparco sliders/tracks from someone on ebay that had new ones because paragon and bimmerworld to.

the seats came in and the side mounts came in. guess what, there is fabric on the sides. I then ordered from paragon a sparco bottom mount for 125.

guess what, the slider fits the seat perfectly going east to west.

so i just called up konig and jim told me to call cobra because cobra makes the seats. Zach told me i wasnt doing it right because there are only four holes and that is how it fits. i then told zach i would drive the car with all the parts to him on monday. if he makes it fit i will pay him $50. if it doesnt fit he refunds my money and pays me for the day off.

he wouldnt do that and again told me it was impossible that the seat was manufactured wrong.

i then got Jim his manager who before i said anything basically told me to screw off because theseat was closeout and he has no warranty. i reminded them of the warranty of merchantability (legal term) that superceeds (another legal term) their disclaimer.

Jim agreed to let me send them back and refund my money less the shipping. well i paid 180, paid abut 35 shipping which would be lost and would lose another 40 to ship em back.

he then got a little more civil and told me cobras distributor was subie sports in ca. and wondered why i didnt know they were cobra distributors. he then said google cobra. i called him on that and we googled cobra together. sure enough subie was the second on the list. guess what? they sell recaro, momo, omp, etc. how silly of me.

he then looked at the cobra seats and said oh they arent the imolas, they look like the cobra monaco, which is bottom mount. i then asked him if he was still sure the side mounts are under the fabric and all i have to do is pull the fabric back and drill into it? I felt the fabric to mount the side mounts before i spent 125 on a single bottom mount and didnt feel anything. but what do i know.

thanks for the rant. if you can measure the width and length of your holes. they should be 13.6" wide and 10.6 long. if not please tell me. I will be calling subesports when they open to confirm the base dimensions.

see below for conclusion

Last edited by Tom R.; 11-17-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you also get the flat adapter plate? It looks like a big metal square frame with some holes at the corners. I installed momo seats, sparco sliders, and then the sparco 944/911 flat adapter plate which the seat rails bolt to. Without the adapter plate, the rails are too narrow to fit the mounting points on the body of the car.

It looks like this, but without the bent ears on the ends. It is completely flat.

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_acc.asp?id=537
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep. I got the flat sparco mount. the sliders mount perfectly to that. turns out the cobra seat base has different dimensions than the sparco base.

would have been nice if the guy that sold me the seats from Konig didnt specifically say they use sparco/momo bases.

today he said it is my problem if things dont match up. live and learn i guess. i may just contact my credit card and see what they will do. just to give them some of the aggrivation they gave me.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Caveat emptor!! Thats all i can say.

I called Subiesports the US importer of Cobra seats. Turns out cobra seats use a cobra specific bolt pattern on the bottom and subiesports wont sell me brackets.

I called konig again and spoke to Jim Fisher again. His coffee must have kicked in. he was much more civil this time. I told him what i learned. turns out sparco changed their mounts.

he said the old mounts sparco sold had holes for all brands.

If i want them to fit need to call wedge engineering in CA and give them the dimensions of the holes. wedge will then make the base plate with the 944 holes and the cobra holes.

the sparco mount i have is like a picture frame with holes for a sparco seat. the cobra holes are where the picture would be.

i didnt push him for taking them back. i think they will go on ebay with the suggestion that the winner order mounts directly from wedge with the measurements.

i guess the seats would fit for someone with the old sparco base. they would just have to measure to make sure the holes are there first.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

www.soloracer.com - i only order everything from one place- that way i dont have to search around to get what i need.

Quick Reply: Bottom mount seats mount and conclusion