Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?

Before I order a set, I was trying to figure out how the hell I am supposed to keep the stock belts and install a 6pt harness (to stock seats). There is no room between the tranny tunnel and the bolt, so no place for a harness.
how can I keep the harness without spending 90$ on a BK mount and still keep my stock belts?
Thanks Alot
Seb

actually, on that note: Does anyone have a BK harness adapter (#9001) that they could get rid of?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Hmmm, I was able to use the harness and stock seat belts in front just by using a slightly longer bolt. It was tight, but it fit. Are you sure you can't fit it in there?

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To do it right you need to actually bolt through the tunnel... If you 89 is like my late NA, then you'll have to drill a hole in the tunnel for the belts. If you do this you should end up with enough room for both the stock buckle and the harness end. I'd post some pics but I'm at work at the moment.

Mounting to the seat frame is less than ideal and not legal with some racing groups.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Good point, mine was just for DE
Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

I should have clarified, This car is an occasional DD and always a driven on weekends. When I turn 18, I will start to do DE events and Auto-x, but never race. The PCA region I will join will allow harnesses to be bolted to the seats.

I have not purchased the harnesses yet, but I cannot say that it wont fit with the stock setting.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Some advise here:

1. Some PCA regions are adopting new rule for DE's where harnesses cannot be used with stock seats. In order to use harnesses, you must have the proper shoulder belt pass-throughs as well as the hole for the sub-belt. This rule is already in place (since this season) with NNJR-PCA. This rule does not apply for autocross.

2. You can mount the inner harness to the inner seat belt anchor point without a problem, if you have the proper adapters.

3. There are adapters that can be used to mount the inner lap-harness without drilling a hole through the tunnel. BK makes one, but IMHO, that's not the best solution. Stable Energies makes a nice unit that mounts to the floor, and special sliders are mounted to that square. In the rear corner of the unit is a welded in flange or bracket that you can bolt the inner seat belt anchor and inner lap-harness to. It is a more solid solution than the BK bracket.

If you need more info, PM me, and I can get into the detail with you.

-Zoltan.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

a BK harness adapter?
if so, would you be willing to sell it?
Thanks
Seb
Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

I do have one. I may not all of the hardware. Call BK, see if you can just get the hardware...consits of two special washer and a bolt really. If you cannot get them let me know, I have afried who used to work there.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

the hardware can be sold separately, paragon and EBS racing stock them. its 12 bucks.
How much would you be willing to sell it for?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Seb - A good combo is working with a local supplier that plumbed into your local PCA Region (assuming PCA DE's). They usually have the "approved" set-up for your region and the installation help/instructions required. Typically they are close to the Region safety chair and have solutions that will meet your local requirements. Just my 2 cents on that.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Old 11-16-2006, 12:34 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again the Tag makes an appearance....
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

To attach the inner lap harness to the exsisting inner seat belt anchor point, here's what you can do:

1. Take seat out.

2. Go to www.racerwholesale.com and order the following for each inner lap harness:
3" Bolt end: ($3.99)

And a 3" Slide bar: ($3.99)

3. Attach the inner lap harness to the 3" Bolt end using the 3" slide bar to snug it in place.

4. Unbolt the inner seat belt anchor point from the seat frame.

5. Replace washer for the seat belt anchor point with the 3" Bolt end that is attached to your inner harness. Put the rest of the inner selt belt anchor thing together.

6. Reattach seat to car.

7. You're done.

For the outer lap harness, it is a little different:
1. Replace bolt that holds the bottom of the shoulder belt with an eye bolt from racerwholesale: (Again, $3.99):

2. Attach the outer lap harness to a Snap hook ($3.99):

Using the same 3" Slide bar to snug it down.

Now, you can simply clip the outer lap harness in place when using it.

Note: the inner lap harness will be in permanently, while the outer one can be removed in the off-season. Or, you can buy the BK adapters and use a snap hook instead of a 3" bolt end on the inner as well.

Again, I strongly advise that you check with the track chair of your region to ensure they will allow stock seats with harnesses at their DE's. If they haven't yet adapted the "no harnesses without the proper seats" rule, it will be coming soon.

Hope this makes sense,
-Zoltan.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i think it is national that you cannot use harnesses with stock seats. think of a womans brassiere. if you go forward the harness will slide off your shoulder just like a bra.

also four point harnesses are out as of a few months ago as are five point harnesses that do not go through the seat. six pointers are still OK from what i am hearing.

i have two brand new konig/cobra seats that will fit a five point harness mentioned in my "save my marriage" post.

Quick Reply: Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?