Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

I've decided to go ahead and finish up the development of the break-out box. No more changing chips. Download upgrades and re-tunes online for cheap, dump them right into the unit with your laptop. Soon after that, real time tuning. Change your tune while the car is running. Engine tuning shops will love this.

Full product description here:

http://forums.maxhpkit.com/viewtopic.php?p=146#146

Regards,
Russell

Last edited by rberry951; 11-14-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I will buy one of these!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
pa944red
Rennlist Member

I know what my first purchase of the new year will be.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put me in line as well! BTW Russell the chips are working GREAT!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
put me in line as well! BTW Russell the chips are working GREAT!
Thanks, Good to hear!

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

this is an INCREDIBLE idea. with as many times as I have swapped out chips.........
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by jgporsche
this is an INCREDIBLE idea. with as many times as I have swapped out chips.........
'Most' people don't swap chips 10 times a month like you do!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Russel - I'm very interested. Keep me in the loop as you get closer!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rberry951
I've decided to go ahead and finish up the development of the break-out box. No more changing chips. Download upgrades and re-tunes online for cheap, dump them right into the unit with your laptop. Soon after that, real time tuning. Change your tune while the car is running. Engine tuning shops will love this.

Full product description here:

http://forums.maxhpkit.com/viewtopic.php?p=146#146

Regards,
Russell
So after you finsh the rocket science stuff did you ever find the bad ground under your dash????????
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
So after you finsh the rocket science stuff did you ever find the bad ground under your dash????????
LOL!

I haven't even looked, winter is fast on the way here so this car will be sitting for quite some time. Plus in taking a good inspection of the car this past Saturday I found that my 'STRAIGHT' car has a front frame rail wrenched by about 3", bent almost all the way back to the strut tower on the passenger side that the guy I bought it from said 'took a light hit' and he had checked out by a frame shop. So, before I do anything to it, it's going to my frame shop and find out if it can be fixed. If it can't I'll just part it out and try to get some of my money back. If it can be fixed, I'll get it fixed.

I may still have a bad ground under the dash next spring... I hate crawling around under there...
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
czar
Instructor

This will make me actually go to the dyno and bring back some real numbers!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Great idea!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rberry951
LOL!

I haven't even looked, winter is fast on the way here so this car will be sitting for quite some time. Plus in taking a good inspection of the car this past Saturday I found that my 'STRAIGHT' car has a front frame rail wrenched by about 3", bent almost all the way back to the strut tower on the passenger side that the guy I bought it from said 'took a light hit' and he had checked out by a frame shop. So, before I do anything to it, it's going to my frame shop and find out if it can be fixed. If it can't I'll just part it out and try to get some of my money back. If it can be fixed, I'll get it fixed.

I may still have a bad ground under the dash next spring... I hate crawling around under there...
I can identify with you on a number of levels. It was minus 31 Celsius here last night, I bought a bent frame car from what i thought was an honest seller as well. I fixed it but it cost me a fortune. oh well.

Lanny
Old 11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good idea.

Question - for those of us who like using our old fashioned chips, would you be able to make some sort of extension for plugging the chips in? Thats what I was originally thinking you meant until I read the description in the link - making a mount for the chips connected to with a longer wire connection going into the comp box (so you wouldn't have to pull open the cpus and tempt fate with the old electronics). I guess you could call it a remote mount for the chips?

That said, I'll still get one of these comp things if they're as good as they sound.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by billthe3
Very good idea.

Question - for those of us who like using our old fashioned chips, would you be able to make some sort of extension for plugging the chips in? Thats what I was originally thinking you meant until I read the description in the link - making a mount for the chips connected to with a longer wire connection going into the comp box (so you wouldn't have to pull open the cpus and tempt fate with the old electronics). I guess you could call it a remote mount for the chips?

That said, I'll still get one of these comp things if they're as good as they sound.
My original idea was indeed just to bring the chip outside the box via a DIP header, ribbon cable, and small circuit board in a box to mount outside the DME with a ZIF socket to easily change chips. But the electrical risk of signal loss and/or interference is just too great. It may work great forever, but all it takes is one glitch in the data being read to toast your engine. So I nixed that idea. This unit is powered by the DME computer socket it plugs into, but has it's on coupling circuitry to maintain signal integrity, negating that risk. A much better solution in many respects, no more chips. It's getting harder and harder to find 'new' chips for these things, and the 'new' chips you buy have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a number of years. And still others are just erased and cleaned up and sold as new. I could fill a dumpster with the chips I have thrown away. I'm all done with chips. But yes, for people that want them, I will STILL sell chips...

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...