Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:48 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes
Old 11-18-2006, 03:58 PM
maddydaddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want one! I am fairly computer dumb, so give me some grace as I ask this....If I want a street tune and a "Race" tune, I could just plug in a laptop, download the "race" file to the box, then go have fun with race gas, then reverse that when it's back to the street (and 92 octane gas)?

James
89 944 S2
Old 11-18-2006, 04:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddydaddy
I want one! I am fairly computer dumb, so give me some grace as I ask this....If I want a street tune and a "Race" tune, I could just plug in a laptop, download the "race" file to the box, then go have fun with race gas, then reverse that when it's back to the street (and 92 octane gas)?

James
89 944 S2
Yes, that is one option, but I am also going to incorporate a DIP or rotary switch that you can mount in your glovebox to switch between multiple maps. This will make map switching much easier.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by sharky47
Yes
LOL!

Well the manufacturer can produce 1000 boxes in 2-3 weeks time, so I don't think supply will be an issue.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Just an update here in case any of you haven't followed the Maxtronic thread in the Turbo forum. I've created a Maxtronic forum on my support forum detailing a lot more of the function, features, and future of the Maxtronic and the upcoming MaxTune software.

LINK
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
fork_included
Pro

sorry for a dumb question

1983 944? is it compatable? your site doesnt list it.

also how might this be incorporated with the ford maf conversions everyone has been raving about lately?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

On the early cars I'm waiting for an early ECU to work with to develop an interface for it, gotta bypass the old chips and build a socketed adapter, still in the works.

As to how it will be incorporated, quite simply it replaces the chip, and gives you the ability to run multiple maps, and the adaptability of speedy tuning modifications, and finally when the MaxTune software is completed you will have a live tuning interface, which will include the ability to tweak the AFM transfer function which is being adapted to the MAF voltage curve. The MAF they're talking about only works on early cars with the 12v AFM/MAF signal. Later cars have a different AFM.

So immediately it gives you versatility and tuning capabilities on the fly. But for it to work on the early cars I have to build an adapter. And I'll work on that just as soon as I get my hands on an early DME to hack up.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-21-2006, 09:51 PM
fork_included
Pro

what, you dont have one yet?

so if i source one, just send it to you?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:52 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I have one you can have for testing.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by fork_included
what, you dont have one yet?

so if i source one, just send it to you?
A local fellow was supposed to bring me one, but he's been busy working on his cars and such and just hasn't made it over. So yeah, if you've got one I can kill feel free to send it on to me and I'll get started. PM me and I'll send you the shipping address...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 PM
fork_included
Pro

i'll check my sources
Old 11-21-2006, 10:02 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by fork_included
i'll check my sources
cool, sharky's sending me a good one to test with once I've made the conversion, but I need a dead one, or one I can kill to actually use to develop the adapter. So, good one for testing coming, need dead one or one I can kill.

thanks!

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
fork_included
Pro

does it have to be operable to begin with?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 PM
fork_included
Pro

another question:

what is a good source of knowlege regarding "tuning cars through eletronics"

thats nice and all that you can adjust fuel maps and things, but thats just the end result, ultimelty the best tuner is one who understands the workings of it.

what would you suggest for reading material?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

No, the one I want to hack up can be deceased.

There's a LOT more to tuning (more so with the turbos) than making fuel adjustments. That's why I want to make the software intuitive and have strict built in safety nets. Meaning you'll do your tuning off of a base map, and have set limits. If you find something to read on it let me know... I've learned form experience and testing, and I'm still learning. Every chip I do for a new car is a new learning experience.

Basic premise is you gather all the data you can about the operating characteristics of the engine itself, it's an air pump. Many things can effect the volume and pressure that air is pumped through. Before you can go making timing changes you have to understand the current cam timing situation of said engine, calculate for duration, flow, and overlap if any. Next comes air/fuel flow. A specific mixture will deliever optimum power, but the variables to that include compression, stroke, flow rate (back to the cam), volumetric capacity and effeciency levels. And finally, the proper ignition timing to take the greatest advantage of the flow/pressure available at said air/fuel mixture.

It's not a simple process, that's why the people who will tune their own cars with the Maxtronic are either expert tuners who develop their own maps, or the novice who will take a base 'working' map and have the ability to play around with tweaking different A/F ratios (within limits) and ramp up timing at various points to get rid of some of the dips in the power curve. And again, you will have the ability to tweak your MAF function to optimize a specific type of MAF if your software isn't tailored to it already. Additionally, given the ability to tweak your own maps you can compensate for other modifications you might add down the road. Well, if you know how. But many will figure it out as they go. And I'm sure many more will toast their engines no matter how many safety nets I furnish. But I believe it is a given that if you delve into the realm of high performance you do so with the understanding that you are at risk of causing a premature demise of your engine. For anyone who doesn't want any risk, I say simply, keep your car stock.

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...