Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charlotte, NC 944 Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

If your route takes you down I-77 and your schedule puts you at the VA/NC line (Pilot Mountain, NC) , Becca and I would love to entertain you and your son.

You are welcome to spend the night. We could go horse back riding, having a home-cooked meal, a roaring Buck Stove fire, and a warm place to sleep. Or, we could take you on some of the less explored twisties in the area, if you would prefer the maximum horsepower instead of the one horse power.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
rollis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking in to keep the post fresh. NCporsche, I'm looking forward to meeting you and the gang. I'll have another Charlotte driver following me up in his 911SC. Got your PM BTW
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
dave1200
Pro

Rollis,

Whats the plan for tomorrow? Where do you want to meet? What time?

Dave
Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
rollis
Instructor

Tried to call you Dave. I'll be on I-77 around the 485 connection about 7:45 AM. If ya wanna grap some breakfast (my treat) let me know and we'll meet up earlier. Gimme a call tonight to confirm.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 PM
dave1200
Pro

bad news...I went to gas it up.. no go... wont fire.....
Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 PM
rollis
Instructor

Too bad Dave, I've got an open seat if ya still wanna make it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

I just thought I would post my thoughts on this past Sunday's drive. It was good to meet some new faces and to once again see some familar faces.

“Wanting a little bit more”

In my 50 years of living, there are many truths I have been told. Most of them have turned out to be fallacies. One truth that has yet to be dispelled is the philosophy of “Always leave them wanting a little bit more”. Whether it be in cinema, public speaking, or taking the Porsche out on a drive, it’s nice to be at the end of the event and "wanting a little bit more”.

The Sunday following the [Carolina Region PCA] Fall Tour had me inquiring as to the next driving event. B***** K**** informed me that there had been a Spring Tour in the past, but no Spring Tour was in the works for 2007. I offered to assist in the planning, “wanting a little bit more”.

Sunday, December 10th, a drive to Pipestem State Park and Resort in West Virginia was scheduled to look at the facilities for the planned April 27-29 Spring Tour. Seven cars participated. Pipestem is just a couple of hours of interstate driving from Winston-Salem, and leaving Clemmons at 9 AM, we were at the resort well before the Sunday lunch crowd arrived. After a tour of the facilities and a wonderful lunch, we assembled the cars outside for the traditional photo op. Then it was time to head south on some less traveled roads. Everybody was “wanting a little bit more”.

The route south took us through North Gap, Rocky Gap, and South Gap. After passing through Bastian, we ran parallel to the interstate for a couple of miles. Staying on US 52, we passed through Bland. Then we start the big climb. A sudden switchback had me down shifting into second, and then into third as the road continues to climb. With a sharp left, and a sharp right, a second gear to third gear, a short straight and a fourth gear, then many lefts and rights, numerous third to second, back to third gears, the adrenaline was flowing, knowing that my Porsche was “wanting a little bit more”.

At the top of the mountain we stop to take in the scenery. Then it’s down the mountain through Favonia, and Wythe County. We stop one last time at I-77 to say our goodbyes and break off into our separate groups for the short drive back to NC. Everyone had a smile on their face ending this drive, and “wanting a little bit more”.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Charlotte, NC 944 Run