Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher Mount with Sparco Seats completed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:04 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fire Extinguisher Mount with Sparco Seats completed

Well I started looking around for a Fire Extinguisher Mount to place my Fire Extinguisher in front of the passenger seat and I could not find anything commercially available. I have Brey Krause mount for side mount Sparcos but it would not fit under the bottom mount of the Torinos. So I made my own out of sheet of aluminum. Simple enough but I am now thinking it might look better to have skeletonized with holes? Anyway here it is.

IPSC

Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks nice. Holes along the bolster side would look neat and would balance the offset of the extinguisher. Nice job!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Strike that. No one will see the side under the bolster. It was just that one angle.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

which seats are those? how do they fit and what size waist are you? im looking. with a measly 33" waist i thought the recaro srd was a little tight around my back.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:03 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom R.
which seats are those? how do they fit and what size waist are you? im looking. with a measly 33" waist i thought the recaro srd was a little tight around my back.
Those are Torinos and my waist is 33 inches as well. Of all the seats I sat in before I bought, these fit me the best. They supposedly have memory foam in them but they are fairly stiff seats. I think they are a grand improvment over the stock seats. I do however slide mine all the way back to get in and out of them though.

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 11-12-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

did you try the sienas? there is no place by me to try seats. i sat in a SRD at an autocross and liked it but thought it was tight in the back/chest area.

there is a set of brand new sienas on ebay with a start of 500 and no bids. tempted if it is just a different kind of foam.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:19 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have seen this but I thought i would post it anyway. I have no way of butt testing these either.

Seat Dimension Guide
Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a potential problem with the way you mounted it. AL fatigues and develops stress cracks very easily when compared to steel. They way you have the sheet mounted, there is nothing supporting the front and it's acting like a lever on the mounting bolts. As the car goes over bumps and the weight of the extinguisher flexes the AL sheet, it will eventually crack where the bolts are mounted. The only question is how long will it take to a develop a stress riser and begin the development of a crack.

Be sure to keep a close eye on it for cracks! Other than that, it looks good
Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris luckett
There is a potential problem with the way you mounted it. AL fatigues and develops stress cracks very easily when compared to steel. They way you have the sheet mounted, there is nothing supporting the front and it's acting like a lever on the mounting bolts. As the car goes over bumps and the weight of the extinguisher flexes the AL sheet, it will eventually crack where the bolts are mounted. The only question is how long will it take to a develop a stress riser and begin the development of a crack.

Be sure to keep a close eye on it for cracks! Other than that, it looks good
Yes you are correct. Right after I mounted I noticed the fact that it was off the carpet a slight amount so I slid a bit of high density foam under it to keep it from vibrating. Ya can't see it in the picture but it is there. The floor where the seat mounts is actualy sloped up ward right where the seat mounts to it. Ya don't notice it till you yank the seat out. More reasons to skeletnize this thing with holes.

IPSC

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Mount with Sparco Seats completed