Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift knob - try this FYI

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

well i played with my ****(s) yesterday and today. yesterday i took the turbo out with the solid aluminum **** and it didnt vibrate. if i touched it i got that harmonic sound like running a blade on a sharpening stone.

today i took apart the **** on the NA. it is a sphere and is three pieces plus a screw. i took frost king heavy duty weatherproof tape (awesome stuff for around windows and will report about how it works on hatches that are delaminating) and put two layers on the solid part of the **** where it meets the fake leather covered part. put a layer on the solid center disc. it quieted it down a bit. then i saw my neighbor and got two radiator clamps from him.

i took the momo adapeter off and put a layer or two around the shift lever, then put the momo adapter on and clamped the bottom with the radiator clamp. i put a piece of sponge in the shaftway of the **** and it took care of the harmonic vibration but i got a rattle at about 3200 rpm.

for shytz and giggles i took the solid **** off the turbo and put it on the NA. no rattle at 3200 and no harmonic sound for the little bit i drove the car. i also put a little piece of sponge in the shaftway.

also what i thought was very cool was with the hollow sphere **** when the motor was idling i put my ear to the **** and heard the motor through the ****. may have found a valve tap if i had one!

more of the shift **** saga to continue.

BTW, when i got the radiator clamps my neighbor was trying to do real work on a car. he threw me out of his house saying i am diking with a shift **** while he is trying to get real work done! turns out he installed a bad alternator for a customer and the truck had an oil leak that added to the rapid demise of the alternator......
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 AM
JayJ911T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the beginning of this thread, and it inspired me while I was at Autozone the other day. Any questions....ask the 8-ball. For $7.99, I think it's the perfect anti-porsche-snob upgrade

As for vibration...geez, quit your whining guys. Ever drive a Porsche with a 915 trans and solid motor mounts?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJ911T
I read the beginning of this thread, and it inspired me while I was at Autozone the other day. Any questions....ask the 8-ball. For $7.99, I think it's the perfect anti-porsche-snob upgrade

As for vibration...geez, quit your whining guys. Ever drive a Porsche with a 915 trans and solid motor mounts?
Amen to all that!

Quick Reply: Shift knob - try this FYI