Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing phone dial Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Refinishing phone dial Rims

I want to re-do my phone dials b/c they are kind of "yellowish" looking what all do I need to do and what materials are needed. Any before and after pictures ?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yellowish??
You can try to use mag wheel etching cleaner... it has hydrofluoric acid and it shines things up real nice. It might just take the yellowish off for ya.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if your wheels are painted or clearcoated before using the etching stuff; it was designed for use on machine finished wheels with no clearcoat or paint. You could likely end up with a bigger mess than you started with. What you may have is a yellowing of the clearcoat caused by reaction with certain cleaners, or sometimes just old age/exposure to road grime. Unless you're handy with a paint gun and masking tape, you may want to consider farming this job out to a professional wheel refinisher like Keystone Automotive or someone like that. Good luck, m8...If you just gotta do the job yourself, use some aircraft-type stripper compatible with aluminum to do the paint removal. Once you have the paint and clearcoat off, you may want to just put a high polish on the bare wheel, and protect it with a clearcoat, which is a very nice look for phonedials, or you could have them dark or "black" chrome finished, like the black chrome exhaust pipes from some of the mid-eighties cruiser bikes, or even anodized to a platinum finish.

Quick Reply: Refinishing phone dial Rims