Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006 | 12:08 AM
97Tdawg
Track Day

Default What is my car worth?

I picked up a 87 951 back in the spring and i finally got it running. The car sat for 5 years but is in GREAT condition. Black with Tan interior. 95k miles. Paint is in good shape and so is interior. The car needed two sensors and a KLR to start up and run....albiet rough. It has almost ALL of its service records since new. The shop that i got to look at it says that it needs alot of work to run well. Needs a clutch, tune up, exhuast, and other things.

So what do you guys think its worth??

Thanks!

John
Old 10-26-2006 | 12:33 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I don't know what its worth, but I'll give you $5 for it.

If it needs clutch, exhaust and other stuff I'd say around 6k. If the body/interior is really in that good of condition maybe 7ish, but usually cars with bad clutches don't go for to much. You may be better of doing the clutch and whatnot and then selling it.
Old 10-26-2006 | 01:31 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

"Needs a clutch, tune up, exhuast, and other things" is a very scary statement. Sorry to say, that will depreciate her 3 to 4k for any smart buyer. IMHO that sounds like a $3500 to $4500 project car. IF you are receptive to my math, I call dibs. I've got a trailer, a lift, and some time and investment capital. With a clean inspection she could be worth 7 to 9 K in the spring.
Old 10-26-2006 | 02:01 AM
97Tdawg
Track Day

Sounds pretty close to what i was thinking. Im going to look into getting at least the clutch done and go from there. The shop that its at now says a new clutch with labor is almost 2k so ive got some thinking to do.
Old 10-26-2006 | 02:11 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Which shop in fred'necks'burg (j/k, lived there for 4 months and worked out at dahlgren) do you have your car at?

Can you handle the clutch yourself? It sucks, but you can do it by yourself on your back and it will be a religious experience.

Last time I was there, earlier this year, area was much more grown then when I was there in 2002.
Old 10-26-2006 | 02:30 AM
97Tdawg
Track Day

Its actually at Autothority in Alexandria VA. I dont think any one here in the burg can handle a decent car! Yeah this place has really exploded thats for sure......esp to me since ive lived here all of my life!
Old 10-26-2006 | 02:31 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

a bit of a hijack, but i've been trying to sell my 85.5 944 for some time now, and the price keeps getting lower and lower and it gets a bunch of bites, but no real takers. i've lowered the price to 4.6k any lower and it is NOT worth it at all to sell. i've spent so much money and the car is in pristine condition. what should i do?!! i need to get rid of it soon to pay for part of my sisters wedding and i'm at a loss of what to do. its on craigslist, ebay, rennlist classifieds. here is its add on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=005
sudjestions welcome, someones already said to get some pics of the underbody and engine, and just basically have more pics for the add.
Old 10-26-2006 | 10:27 AM
czar
Instructor

Originally Posted by mavfan
a bit of a hijack, but i've been trying to sell my 85.5 944 for some time now, and the price keeps getting lower and lower and it gets a bunch of bites, but no real takers. i've lowered the price to 4.6k any lower and it is NOT worth it at all to sell. i've spent so much money and the car is in pristine condition. what should i do?!! i need to get rid of it soon to pay for part of my sisters wedding and i'm at a loss of what to do. its on craigslist, ebay, rennlist classifieds. here is its add on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=005
sudjestions welcome, someones already said to get some pics of the underbody and engine, and just basically have more pics for the add.

Kirk, if you are trying to sell it on eBay, I have a few recommendations for you. If you look at my list of cars from the past 7 years or so, most have either been bought or sold through eBay with a high level of success, including my 3 series bmw which I did pretty well with.

I wouldn't start with such a high price - it means the first bidder has to take a huge leap on that first bid, and it also reduces the number of bids on your item which makes it look less interesting. I ALWAYS start my cars @ $100 - I don't use a reserve, but of course you can. Second, tell a story - the more information, the better. Look at how long my description is. Cars with short descriptions scare me because I think the seller is trying to hide something. Finally, you should have a MINIMUM of 10 pics on there. 20 or 30 is better. Get them from every angle. It only takes a short amount of time and patience to take good pics and post them. If there are only a few pics, I get scared, too. This 944 is a good example of bad pics and short write-up which qualifies my remarks as that car is a complete mess. When I went to look at it, I understood why the description and pictures were the way they were!

You may also want to put it on Autotrader and cars.com.
Old 10-27-2006 | 12:16 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some cars, unfortunately, are worth more as parts than to restore.

H2
Old 10-27-2006 | 12:30 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Your car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You've had an offer, in this forum, for $3,500. - $4,500. There is your value.

If you are wanting someone to pat you on your back for the great deal you made, I don't see it happening in this thread.
Old 10-27-2006 | 02:24 PM
97Tdawg
Track Day

I wasnt looking for a pat on the back. i was just simply seeking some advice as to what yall think the car is worth. Did it seem like i was looking for a pat on the back? Didnt seem like it to me.
Old 10-27-2006 | 02:37 PM
czar
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97Tdawg
The car sat for 5 years but is in GREAT condition. The shop that i got to look at it says that it needs alot of work to run well. Needs a clutch, tune up, exhuast, and other things.
I would imagine since it's sat for 5 years that it would need work to run well and quite a few extra replacement parts along the way. I would also imagine a lot of the seals, belts, fluids, etc. need replacing. Clutch, tune-up, exhaust = ≥$2.5k-$3k if you're having someone else do it, never mind everything else they'll find along the way. A new owner should also do all of the belts. I would probably be willing to pay $3000 - $3500 for it if compression was good and motor and turbo were strong. If you figure book to be $7k-$9k on this, and subtract required work, plus extra for those hidden demons, you're looking at somewhere in the $3-4.5k range of value.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:19 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I agree with czar...about $3500-4000 is all I'd pay for a car that needed some work and a clutch....good luck with it!

Steve
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How much more would it be worth if it was a S?

As an aside, last month I bought an 88 951 with 99k miles on it. the PO replaced the clutch and synchros on my 88 951 not too long ago. The receipt was over 3k.

He replaced the water pump/belts/rollers at the beginning of this season. while he was in there the front of the motor was resealed. The receipt was over 3k.

Add those up if your car needs it and if i give you 3k for the car i got konis, a redline roll bar SFR 3" exhaust, rebuilt turbo etc. and new control arms for free.
Old 10-28-2006 | 03:08 AM
danglerb
Nordschleife Master

I feel your pain, over the years I've sold 5 cars, and bent over and traded in 3. After awhile the amount of the offer doesn't mean as much as if the person really has the money, only one of the five was able to pay the whole amount right away. First car I sold the guy strung me along with $50 to $100 for several months, followed by a LONG delay, and a final check for the balance and a request for the title asap as they had sold the car. I regret selling EVERY one of those cars, but that was the time, money, space, etc of reality.

How long are you willing to work as a unpaid salesman for your car? Thats a good $1000 of the price spread right there, sell it fast or wait and hope.

Generally I find out what I can get in a quick sale to a reliable person, add some to that and see how the car does for a few weeks or a month.

Quick Reply: What is my car worth?