Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the purpose of this clip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I've found that pressing the recirculating air button minimizes the amount of air that comes in from the engine when I have the fans turned off.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Yep. I've found that pressing the recirculating air button minimizes the amount of air that comes in from the engine when I have the fans turned off.
yaaaa, u know...Iv always wondered what that recirculation button was for.

I honestly rarely ever even use the AC....if I am not mistaken though....I have tried pressing that button before, and it seems like only more air will come thru with the fans/system off. Im'a have to try it out again to be sure though.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

That button is supposed to use air from the cabin instead of outside air when depressed. Case in point...windows up, top closed, dead skunk in road. With that button depressed, I don't smell a thing.

With the button not pressed, it STINKS.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it normal for just a tad/bit of air not hot and not cold, to come out from the vents when the Heating/Cooling is off completely?
Yes, the fan actually operates all the time... at a very slow speed.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they figure that if you're in a cold place in the winter and the clip breaks, failing to full heat is better than failing the other way....
I think you're assuming that they even thought about anything except how cheap that clip is for them!

They probably saved 10 cents per unit compared to a proper threaded metal connection.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That button is supposed to use air from the cabin instead of outside air when depressed. Case in point...windows up, top closed, dead skunk in road. With that button depressed, I don't smell a thing.

With the button not pressed, it STINKS.
Interesting...Got you!
So with the recirculation button pressed/on, its using "cabin air".....so this cabin air comes from the inside of the car and gets re-circulated through the system and then out the vents? How can I make sure that any cabin air coming through is "clean" and free of any debris/dust...iv heard that these cars do NOT have cabin filters.

Also, so when "this" button is OFF/not pressed down, the air coming through is completely outside air then?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perculator00
Interesting...Got you!
So with the recirculation button pressed/on, its using "cabin air".....so this cabin air comes from the inside of the car and gets re-circulated through the system and then out the vents? How can I make sure that any cabin air coming through is "clean" and free of any debris/dust...iv heard that these cars do NOT have cabin filters.

Also, so when "this" button is OFF/not pressed down, the air coming through is completely outside air then?
Yes, cabin air. I thought there was a filter, but I'm out the door to the race track and don't have a moment to take a peek at the shop manuals.

When the button is not depressed, it's getting air from the engine bay, I believe.

Quick Reply: what is the purpose of this clip?