Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Az 944 Spec Race- You guys missed great weekend - Full Report UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Az 944 Spec Race- You guys missed great weekend - Full Report UP!!!

Weather was perfect this weekend. We had some rain early saturday morning, but that only impaced the first couple sessions. By 9am the track was dry and air temps were in teh mid 80's.

5 spec cars turned out as well as two 951 Rennlisters.
First raced started out at 1:20pm on Saturday and got interesting when Speed GT BMW blew an oil line. Put a nice oil slick in the fastest corner of the track. Flat out at 100 MPH with wall all around is not good place to have an oil slick. Good news was we all make it through witout contact, but some underware changes were required.

Sunday the track improved to near track record conditions. The track go slower as the day when on, but Qualfing saw the top 3 spec cars within 0.2 of second. How did the race finish? Well... lets just say "photo finish".

All you that were not there really missed out.

more to follow....

Last edited by M758; 10-17-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to make it out there, got held up getting a hair cut, saw the rain coming, and realized that everyone would be out there and my garage would be empty so I headed home to work on my own stuff.

I spent a few hours the night before getting Steve's car ready so I contributed .

I've been contemplating building a spec car out of my 83……… I better just put it up for sale before I go ahead and pull the trigger.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
M758
Race Director

BUILD THE SPEC CAR!

I can take you for a spin next month at firebird if you need a little tickler.

BTW... Steve really needs to lower his car. With charly arms he has he can stand running it much lower. I told him this yesterday as I think it will make the car more stable and better able to use the suspension he has.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I was out in a spec car Mike B. took me out in Glen's yellow car. I'm hoping to decide what to do this week. I've already found two "sponsors" to kick in some cash for the cost of the car. I think I can build a nice car for 4K or less from where i'm sitting right now (many spare parts and car in hand).

How did Steve's car run all weekend?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Steve's car seemed fine. I had Norm Hamden instruct him.

As for the spec car build it...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts
Wink

How did the "94" finish?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I know that the 94 came in second after starting last in the SPEC class because of a penalty for weighing in under the 2600# limit, and then he had to add weight. I was kicking myself on Sunday for bad planning that made me miss day two. It was pretty cool seeing the 944 SPEC guys passing cars with a lot more power during the race on Sat. though.

In the HPDE1 class there were a lot of crappy drivers, trust me I was one of them. It's much harder than it looks to go fast on a track. I felt like a teenager learning to drive for the first time again. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a 944 though, lots of fun.

Joe was my instructor for the first two sessions in the morning before the race. He reinforced all the classroom stuff, and helped me stay on the proper line, think about weight transfer, watch for the flags, kept me from doing stupid things, etc. Then he gave me a ride in his SPEC car after the race. He drives that thing like a go-kart...I had no idea that 944's were capable of anything like that.

I went out twice more after that with Joe instructing again. It got a little more comfortable and I got a little faster when I was really concentrating and slower when I wasn't. It did feel agonizing slow after that ride in Joe's car.

If any of you 951 guys without track experience think you'd stand a chance against a SPEC car with 1/2 the HP and a good driver on a track, you should try it.

Luckily my car didn't break, and I didn't wreck it, but I think a N/A makes more sense for the track. Maybe Steve will give me a ride in his 951 track car next time and change my mind, but I think a SPEC car may be in my future
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have got to go to one of these weekends!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Oktoberfest at PIR

PART 1…

The October 14, 15 event at PIR marked the start of the home stretch of Az championship points series. Cooler weather was instore as well as some very close racing action.

Saturday started with rain. I arrived at the track to set-up at 6:30 am and had rain along the drive down to the track. 8 am was the first Practice for Race Group A and the track was cold, wet and it was like driving on ice. At the end of the session a dry line was forming, but lap times were still 4-5 seconds off the pace.

By the 2nd practice session the track was dry and times were much more representative being in the mid- to upper 1:13 for the fast guys. For qualifying I figured it would be good to run all the 5 944 spec guys over the scales. I knew all the racers, but it would be good show that “rules count”. Last time out I put my car on the scale and was 2602. Close, but still ok. So I added in 10lbs of ballast for a total of 20lbs. This should put me in good spot. Well after qualifying I ran across the scales and was shocked to hear 2590 as the weight. I asked them to check that I was placed right and they moved me a inch or so an hit 2587! Crap… my effort to play rules taskmaster caught ME. This is not the way this is supposed to work. Vince also came up light by 15lbs so we would both shared the “Dunce” award with a DQ for qualifying it was and back of the grid for the race. I added 20 more pounds of ballast and Vince added in a 20lbs cooler for his cool suit.

So qualifying order for the race was...
Norm 1:13.6
Glenn 1:13.8
Steve 1:17.3
Joe 1:14.7 (DQ Weight)
Vince 1;15.8 (DQ Weight)
M758
Race Director

PART 2…

Vince and I griddled up in spots 17 and 18, but thanks to a small overall field were only a couple cars back from the Norm’s class pole. The green dropped and the chase began. We got by Steve Sapareto who was having a bad time of it racing on only a few hrs sleep. Then it pulled a gap to Vince as worked around a former Bondurant school mustang and an E30 BMW. Within 2-3 laps I looked up and saw Glenn down the end of the straight. In spite of the needing to fight through traffic Glenn & Norm had not checked out. I knew I still had chance if I drove fast & consistent. Over the next 4-5 laps I slowly started closing the gap each lap taking out a few tenths. Then the defining moment of the race came. Going through the turn 7 carousel I looked up to see the fast E36 M3 trailing smoke around the oval. He had blown up and was dumping oil on the track. With caution I entered the oval looking for oil. At the entry the oil was up high but he crossed the main line as he ran into the pits. Glenn about 5 car lengths in front hit this oil at about 100 mpg flat out. The car wiggled and did a quarter spin. Glenn saved it, but it was a heart stopping moment as I later learned he never knew the there could be oil there. I when through the oil and my car stepped sideways, but being prepared made all the difference and maintaining my momentum and drove by Glenn on the main straight to take 2nd in the class.

My sights were now set on Norm who was just about a main straightaway’s length in front. Next lap the oil flag was out and the oil was still nasty and I also most lost it as the back end stepped out this time. Glenn had pulled off track to check his shorts and catch his breath and then the double yellow’s came out for a track clean up. At the restart only a E46 M3 separated me from Norm. Could I pull of a win after starting in the back? Well that answer was no thanks to that Mustang I passed earlier. He was right behind on the restart and simply pulled me going into turn 1. Unfortunately his cornering speed was rather poor and I got held up badly. Looking in my mirrors I saw the red #10 of Vince Vaccaro all over my tail. While it was only two laps from the restart to the checker those were some long two laps as I tried to get around the mustang that was holding be back and keep Vince at bay. Last trip out of 9 Vince got a run and attempted to pull along side entering the oval. I held a tight line and was able to hold Vince back to the tune do 0.2 seconds at the line. Finish order was Norm, Joe, Vince, Steve, and Glenn 2 laps back, but still running. That was the closest race finish I had been a part of in some 59 races. I did think it could get much close than that, but then Sunday was a new day.
M758
Race Director

PART 3….

Sunday dawned cool and dry. It only took 2 laps to feel the power in the cool air and grip in the track. With ease I was running laps faster than I had the day before. Of course a couple minor chassis adjustments helped too, but the course was fast. Norm when out in TT session and after 3 laps ripped of a 1:12.7. This was a new track record for TTD so Norm decided to be a Time trailer on Sunday as well as racer.

As the day went on the track and air warmed up and as often happens at PIR the track slowed down. I estimate I was quicker than Saturday by a couple tenths, but otherwise very much the same. My car however was quite a bit better due to the adjustments I make during practice that day. Vince also picked up some speed recording his first sub 1:15 lap. It seems that after fighting a struggling car he has the car set-up reasonably well and is turning solid times.

I had chance to use Glenn as my “rabbit” to chase during qualifying. It seems to have worked as I slotted into 2nd with the following close results. Steve with full night’s rest was back up to speed, but Vince never got a clean lap.

Norm 1:13.29
Joe 1:13.55
Glenn 1;13.56
Steve 1:15.04
Vince 1:15.27

My goal for the race was simply to stay with Norm and Glenn to the finish and be no more than a couple seconds off. That effort almost fell a part at the first couple corners. I had the inside on row behind Norm. In front of me was a Grand Am Rolex spec E46 M3. Realizing the power of the car I figured my best chance was to stick behind the powerful M3 and ride my inside slot. I could not have been more wrong. As we went green I got bottled up behind the M3 and had watch in frustration as Glenn simply took both of us around the outside at 1 and 2. I even had the white E30 from Saturday’s race pull in front. So much for my nice qualifying effort. Not being able to hang around any longer I took that M3 arounf the outside of 3 something that should not possible for a 944 spec to do vs a car than could run 1:00 laps with pro driver, but I needed to stay in contact with my competition.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
M758
Race Director

PART 4…
I passed the E30 on the next lap going through 2 and set my sights on Glenn. He was having nice battle with Norm at the time I could only hope that their dicing would slow them enough that I could keep up or even catch up. Well it worked as with in a couple laps I was on Glenn’s rear bumper and he had to start driving in front and behind. The 3 of ran close like this for 10 laps. Norm slowly pulled a car length or two as Glenn had to defend position. I had more car then Glenn, and simply waited for him to make mistake. For me just to finish close like this was victory so there was no need to force the issue. I could also see Glenn working very hard in trying to hold me off and I was banking on him making a mistake. Over this time I took stock where I though I had and edge and were he seemed strong. I make a couple looks, but with nothing solid so I waited. Then my moment came.

We had a faster car looking to pass our 3 car train. I was in no way going to let him get between Glenn and I as that might have been the end for me. So that faster car had to wait and on the main straight pull in to s 2 car length gap between Norm and Glenn. The now 4 car train rocketed around turns 2, 3, 4 and 5 and then Glenn made his mistake entering the carousel. He got it a bit wrong for the fast left causing him to blow the entry to carousel. I saw my chance and pulled on the side of 7. He recovered well and we went side by side through the turn 8 pinch point were I left him room. Of course this put me on outside entering braking zone of 9 and left Glenn in the stronger position. Realizing this I let Glenn brake deep into 9 he took a wide exit. I braked early and took a tight exit and this I found myself side by side on the exit of 9, but with me on stronger inside position. Glenn’s very old beat to hell tired motor was down on power and I knew I had him at this point as pulled in front in the banking. My only concern was turn 1 & 2 where Glenn has always been very strong. So I made a point to take it fast, but safe through 1 and 2 hugging the inside wall forcing a Glenn to try an outside move. I almost lost it all as right at the end of turn 2 the car stepped out a tiny bit and I lost some momentum. Thankfully for me I was already around the corner and since the track was so narrow at this point Glenn had no track space to take advantage of this small bobble. After this I felt the pass had finally stuck. As I exited turn 9 I looked back in the mirrors assuming Glenn would be there, but Glenn’s old, tired, beat to hell motor seems to have finally expired and he pulled into the pits.

I then set my sights on Norm who was 3 car lengths in front at this time. That very same BMW that held me up at the start then played a role one again. He passed me under power out of 9 and promptly held me up all through the in field. Then he passed Norm and did the same thing to him. Fair is fair I figured, but he ended up hold up Norm for 2 laps and that gave me a couple car lengths back so now I was in striking distance of Norm. Norm was fast and smooth and I really did not have anything for him. My only hope was a large mistake, but although he drove defensively it was never on the limit enough to give me hope. I resigned myself to be happy with 2nd, but on the last lap in last place I had a chance my opportunity came. Norm strangely missed shift coming out of turn 9. This would hurt his speed all the way to the finish line. I closed up right to his bumper and unfortunately had to lift just a little to clear him. As we came out of 9 I tried to pull him going into the oval, but he held a small edge. As we rounded the exit of the oval I was inches off his bumper and attempted to draft pass by him. Instead of making my normal 6000 rpm shift to 5th I rode 4th for all she was worth in mad dash to the line and it almost worked. I heard Norm go into 5th and my car surged along side. However the finish line came too soon. As Norm crossed the line 0.107 seconds in front of my accelerating car which 50 yards later surged in front.

Wow from a 0.217 2nd over 3rd on Saturday to 0.107 loss to first on Sunday close racing was the order of the weekend for me. Steve came in 3rd, Vince struggled to get by that same Bondurant mustang and finished 4th. Glenn sadly will be retiring the old yeller war wagon. Rode hard and put up wet was the order for ole #44 and it performed a heck of a lot better than it ever should have for countless races starting in 2002. Glenn’s new car was out for some testing and if he can get the suspension dialed in like the yellow/black war wagon it should be very competitive car.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Last edited by M758; 10-17-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Here some pictures. Not the best, but they are what I have for now.

Joe, the E30 BMW and Bondurant mustang in the write up.

Vince (red) and Steve (white)

Norm with some faster traffic behind

Joe with faster traffic

Norm, the slow E46 Rolex GT M3, Joe, Bondurant mustang all under yellow before Saturday's restart

Norm & the E46 M3

E46 M3 & Joe
Old 10-17-2006, 01:55 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice writeup Joe... sounds like some great racing!

Quick Reply: Az 944 Spec Race- You guys missed great weekend - Full Report UP!!!