Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt problem continues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the water pump is a new laso pump from Paragon. it's strange would there be still pressure in the system if the pump was running dry and there was no coolant in the block?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

You were talking about coolant in the upper rad hose so....
It can be difficult to bleed the system of all air. Quite frequently you will have to remove the upper rad hose and using a funnel, fill the block with coolant. Then fill the rad through the upper rad hose and reconnect it. Now the only air will be in the top section of that hose. Open the bleed screw and squeeze the upper rad hose, then tighten the bleed screw then release the upper rad hose. Do this several times to pump all of the air out of the hose.
Once you get very little air out of the screw (mostly water) then leave it tightened. This last bit of air will bleed itself out of the system. Of course, make sure that the heater control valve is open when filling the block.

I don't understand. If all of the pulleys are spinning freely and the belt is not extremely overtightened (100lbs+) then this problem should not exist....
I suppose when you try the next belt, spin every pulley by hand (Except the cam and crank of course). Make sure they all spin easily and smoothly. For the idlers and tensioners they do not have to continue spinning for long after you stop, this is normal for new pulleys since they are often quite tight.

Perhaps this is a bad water pump?... When spinning at hand speed it might feel okay, but once it spins faster it begins to create a lot of drag?..... Really reaching even more here.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well I took the rad hose and poured coolant into the engine and got like 2 litres into it and then attached the hose again and now when i ran it till it got hot the hose got hot and when I reved it coolant came out of the bleed holes and I closed it.

however the to rad hose felt super hot i'm not sure if this is normal it was too hot to touch and i burned myself.

also the water pump feels super hot and so does the pulley and everything else touching it (belt guide) they are all too hot to touch. is this normal?

the thermostat still didn't feel like it had opened as the lower water pump hose was cool to touch.. also I turned on the heat and I didn't get any heat coming out.

I ran the car for about 5-10 minutes and shut it off because I'm too scared that something may be wrong. I'm still getting rubber on the water pump / roller but it's not accumulated as much as last time but maybe I ran it less not sure, I keep on wiping the water pump roller with my finger and I get black rubber dust on my fingers.

not sure it's because the pump is too hot or if the belt is too tight, the water pump was spining the whole time.

when the engine was hot and I turned it of I can pluck my belt and it makes a tone like a guitar string but it didn't feel too tight when cold and I set it to 40 pounds with my kricket.

I think I'm going to have to install my new belt when it comes in and then tow it to a porsche shop.

I have a feeling this will cost me a lot of money. doing the belts pump/ oil seals myself already cost me 2 grand with the tools and I paid 4100 for the car and now the porsche shop will probably charge me at least 1000 to fix this assuming the water pump is okay and doesn't need replacement.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also problem is I live in Richmond and I'd have to tow the car all the way to weissach in vancouver which will cost a lot in just towing.

I think towing it to a non porsche shop might just bring more trouble if the mechanic has never worked on a 944 and has to figure everything out from scratch, I'll probably get charged more for labour and they might screw it up.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you change the thermostat? did you put it in backwards? is there room between the belt and the edges of the wp pully- kinda like hey is that for a 16v w/ a wider belt?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

First of all, your pictures SUCK! Learn how to get good close up shots (macro).

When ya did all this original work, did ya change all the oil seals? Are ya leaving the belt covers off? Have ya made awful sure that the belt is tracking properly, and IN alignment with ALL the rollers? Sometimes you can get a pump that has either the wrong width pulley on it, or not installed properly, even a "new" one. What I can make out from your pics, looks more like oil contamination, and or belt slippage on pulleys due to improper tension, or a defective pump. Just guesses here. You need to look at ALL your processes, and current conditions and tools used doing so. It just ain't right.

By the way, I've had NO problems using Gates Belts, its something else.

Good luck!!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read most of the posts here,but skimmed a few. If my suggestion is a repeat-disregard. I thought that Granite was on the right track sans the photo comments. forget photography- there is much more money in Porsche repair. I don't trust pictures of something that I cannot get my hands onto, much less a camera. Is the crankshaft sprocket on correctly? they go on backwards real easy. The wider flange of the sprocket should be towards the front of the car, not against the crankcase. This would be the case only if you or the last person put the sprocket on backwards. This is kinda hard to see when its all together, much less take a picture of.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one more thing- Is the Idler pulley in your photo the correct one for your car. they made two different sizes. If I recall, the auto-tensioners(spring/968)have the larger plastic pulley-like the ones in your photo- and the ecentric tensioned cars have the smaller metal pulleys. Check the application and part numbers on the parts you installed. It is easy to make a mistake. I have seen the timing belt"kits" supplied with extra pulleys to fit all applications. Do you have any new parts left over from a "kit"?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It sounds to me like he has a bad water pump, at least he does now. If the shaft overheats it will bind and not make any noise until it's toast. But then again, if he had to add 2 litres of coolant that can't be good for a new water pump either and could have started the failure from a dry impeller. Since the coolant is all that lubricates the WP I would be suspect of what condition your pump might be in. Then again it could just be one of those numerous 'Porsche Things' we all love so dearly.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'm pretty sure that larger roller is correct it is for the updates turbo water pump which is what I have.

all sprockets etc are installed correctly, including the crankshaft cam belt sprocket is on the right way.

there is no oil anywhere, i replaced all my oil seals and so far there is not one drip of oil.

yeah it is possible I guess that the pump is bad or went bad. the water pump still spins freely and I think it should be correct, I thought all turbo water pumps fit any 944.

yeah I'm worried about the pump now that it ran dry for a while, even if it is good should I still replace it?

I'm going to tow the car to a porsche shop in 2 weeks after I have time to first install the new belt and roller.

hopefully the new pump doesn't need replacement it cost me like 250 from paragon.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I did change the thermostat and I accidently installed the new style thermosat into the Laso turbo pump which apparently uses the old thermostat but it fit in and I did put it in the correct way.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Right now I'm thinking of just ripping everything apart again and removing this Laso pump and returning it to Paragon. I have to ask first if they'll give me a refund for a bad pump.

I don't want to exhange it because I have heard bad things about the Laso pumps.

I think Zims sells better pumps their new one sells for 325 which is more than what I paid for mine but I'm guessing it's not Laso or is it?

I can probably get the pump replaced myself within a day or so and if it still has belt rubbing off then at least I'll know the pump etc are all good and I'll tow it then to the porsche shop to check it out.

I replaced all the water pump threads with helicoils so they should be easy to remove this time...... last time I broke a bolt and it was a real pain.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 AM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The picture is not very good but.... is the belt seperator on wrong? that would exlpain a lot of things?
If there is any questions about it take it off and run it with out it. Also it must be off to use the cricket. ( You knew that)
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no I'm pretty sure the seperator is on right.

okay this guy from another porsche board came over and looked at the belt and he says that the "rubber" on the pump / roller is just wax that the belt is apparently coated with and it's the wax coating coming off and this is what melted.

sounds right to me.

I'm just going to take the car in to a porsche shop to get the belts tensioned with the 9201 and it should be fine.

thanks for the replies.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM
AR10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I have not seen addressed: Is the belt adjuster pulley being turned the correct direction?

Quick Reply: Timing belt problem continues.