Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoCalGTG

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SoCalGTG

I have never met anyone on this list and there was a post a little ways back about some stalwart moving to Riverside with some interest for a local get together.

Anyway, I would be happy to host some sort of mutually convenient get together for all interested parties.

Here is one suggestion: I have a place out in the Mojave desert that is basically my tree house. Lots of work area. A lot of Chinese made tools. There are: Lots of go-fast straightaways. Twisties to Big Bear Lake (BB is twenty five minutes away up a very cool mountain road). I have ample space (6.5 acres) with endless desert. OHV is a mere 15 minutes from my house (not for 944's however) but there are rock-crawling events, trials bikes, etc. on a regular basis going on on the weekends. There are the usual necessities: Plasma screen, guns, XBox, Refrigeration, Satellite, DVD's etc.

I thought it might be an interesting spot as it is equal distant between LA and San Diego. However, I realize it might be too Mad Max for some (chickens and goats gettin it on).

Just a throw out, if for no other reason, to get some actual interest in some sort of get together.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my car is running, I'm down!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally Posted by mjaffe
I have never met anyone on this list and there was a post a little ways back about some stalwart moving to Riverside with some interest for a local get together.
That would be Arash (FRporscheman).

I'd potentially be interested as well -- I live in SF Bay Area, but hold a job in LA and keep a garage in Venice -- so depending on how things work out.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the interest. As I/we gauge some interest, I will figure out a good time that might work for most.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved out here, living in Hermosa Beach, and actually driving my 944 again after a couple years in the garage. I'd be game for a day-trip type GTG, like Malibu canyons or the low-key Crystal Cove exotic car show at 7am every Saturday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrZg...elated&search=

Your "tree house" sounds sweet, but I'd need a decent amount of advance planning to do a whole weekend. If you lined up a date far enough in advance, we could attempt to have the beginnings of a westcoast version of the 'Fest (tm)(R).
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

BTW, this is the link to that other recent thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/302322-what-s-up-socal.html
Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Malibu canyons is always fun. Know them well
Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Michael, yeah I'm the stalwart! I've been here just over 2 weeks now, and I'm getting adjusted pretty well. This is my first time away from home (YES, I spent all 4 years of undergrad with my parents), so it's a big shock to be in a new home, new town, new school, etc. But things are going well, I'm finally learning to cook, and the 968 finally has it's own parking spot.

But anyway, I'm definitely interested in a GTG. Anything from driving to wrenching, it doesn't matter. I don't have any wrenching jobs to do right now, but I know a lot and can help others. I love work and drive about equally, so either way I'm game! Speaking of games, if we want to do a work-drive-video games kind of thing, that's good too. Anything that gets us all in one place so I can shake some hands and put faces to user names.

Joe - I hope you make it, if you're in the area. It would be good to see a familiar face amongst all the new ones.

So far the only thing on my schedule is Oct 21-22, so that weekend won't work for me.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

I'll be in the area the 21st and 22nd!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DanG
I just moved out here, living in Hermosa Beach, and actually driving my 944 again after a couple years in the garage. I'd be game for a day-trip type GTG, like Malibu canyons or the low-key Crystal Cove exotic car show at 7am every Saturday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrZg...elated&search=

Your "tree house" sounds sweet, but I'd need a decent amount of advance planning to do a whole weekend. If you lined up a date far enough in advance, we could attempt to have the beginnings of a westcoast version of the 'Fest (tm)(R).
Whole weekend not required, as people could come and go. I figure I have not met any of you and with FR new to town, it seemed like the neighborly thing to suggest. FR, I have no wrenching to do and I expect to have my car back (finally) from paint this Tuesday with a fresh motor, etc. I just like saying I have a lot of Chinese tools (wish they weren't though).

October is getting away... Any thoughts on November. I go to Yosemite the week of Thanksgiving, but other than that, I am open.

Any thoughts/interest/proposed dates in November? Desert house or elsewhere, I am game and would be happy to coordinate. As far as a West Coast 944fest, I have never been to one and would need someone else to take the lead on that one. Sounds good though.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Out of respect to Dan P and the 'Fest, we'd have to give any GTG out here a different name. 944West or something more witty

I'm in Vegas for SEMA the first weekend in November.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

944 Fwest
Old 10-13-2006, 12:07 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Perfect. As long as Dan P approves.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and I'll let you know if I find a schedule conflict. So far everything is tentative, no commitments. Except oct 21-24 and thanksgiving.

Anyone here going to sharktoberfest? I might, depending on if my dad makes it down here in time.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Have to get with Legoland951, and see if the "Bus" is operational & what kind of final touches it needs.

I spend every day I have off that I can get away @ his place, and this sounds like a fun GTG.

Don

Quick Reply: SoCalGTG