Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I (a novice) able to install a PS rack all by myself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Ghost944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I (a novice) able to install a PS rack all by myself?

well am I?
i printed to guide off clarks-garage, and after reading it, i dont understand most of it. will i figure out this stuff as i go? or should i bum some help off my friends?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not terribly difficult, if you have access to a lift it will be much easier (like anything). The hardest parts i encountered when removing the rack were as follows.

1. Removing the steering shaft u-joint from the bottom of the PS rack. The 944 i worked on was a super pain in the *** to get off. It required alot of pounding with a pickle fork to sepeare the two. One trick is to get a small chisel and wedge it between the pinch on the u-joint. This should make it much easier to remove.

2. Getting to some of the hardlines on the back of the rack can be difficult to reach. If you have access to an impact wrench with the right combo of extensions you can get them off easily, otherwise be prepared to do some reaching around.

3. Getting the rack back in, you will probably need a friend to hold the rack up for you while you line up the bolts and the collars over the rubber mounts.

Those are just a few of the points i had trouble with.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I managed to do it on my own over a weekend about a month ago. It wasn't too bad, but it did take longer then I expected. As per some suggestions on here I tried to use a pickle fork to get the tie rods off, but had absolutely no luck with that. The $20 gear puller I picked up from advanced worked on the second try though.

I replaced the hard line going from the rack to the cooler while I was doing it, and that was probably the most annoying part. I had to take a ton of crap off the car to get at the cooler end of the line.

You should definitely get the rennbay socket replacements for the allen head bolts going into the rack. Those are SO much better then the allen head crap that Porsche used.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Ghost944
Instructor

my biggest restrictions are:
1. i have NO money for new tools
2. i have no pickle fork or any air tools.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Make friends with tools. Buy Beer.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats wrong with the PS rack on your car?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Make friends with tools. Buy Beer.
Well... Make friends with tools, and find a way to compensate them without spending money. The point is saving money, right? I know ways of saving money only a student would know.

You can use a thin channel locking wrench as a pickle fork. That's how I got the 928's tie rod ends off. Air tools aren't necessary, but make life so much better. Don't buy them unless you work on your car a lot.

You can remove and reinstall on your own with basic tools, but it will take you a while and you will have a hard time. Get a friend, get a mechanic, or get ready for your car to be parked for a while.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Ghost944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock
Whats wrong with the PS rack on your car?
its on fire

o i thought a pickle fork was an air tool attachement. w/e. well its out to the garage! ill work for a few hours and then go to court to defend the speeding ticket i got in this car.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Got a credit card?

Most big chain auto parts stores have "loaner" tools. You "buy" them, use as long as you need and return for full refund. No money spent. I did this and forgot to return said loaner tools, so I now own them at full price, but I've defintely got my moneys worth out of them over the years. Checker/Schucks/Kragen has a set that'll get pretty much any suspension piece apart. I'm sure Autozone does too.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A pickel fork is a damn piece of metal that can be had at like autozone for <20 dollars
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

what worked for me was a "tie rod puller" for like $5 at autozone. it took litterally seconds. and yes you can do it, i was/am a novice and i did it myself with no real problems.

Quick Reply: Am I (a novice) able to install a PS rack all by myself?