Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you shift "between" gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How can you shift "between" gears?

During the PCA Club Race this past weekend, I started experiencing shift problems at T1 of Summit Point. Typically, I take this turn in third gear. During the enduro, I frequently had to enter the corner in second and then shift to third about 3/4 of the way around.

I have never had a problem shifting before. During the race, I kept shifting into fourth rather than second, which is not good at all because it almost caused me to get punted off the track a few times but at least that's better than hitting second when I needed fourth. Once, when shifting from second to third, if felt like I went in between gears (the shift lever went forward as if it was in third, but the car felt like it was still in neutral). I shifted back to neutral, tried again, and this time third engaged. What happened mechanically for me to be able to put shifter forward as if it is in third but the car is actually in neutral?

Where should I start trouble shooting this?

P.S. I changed trans fluid right before the race.

Thanks,

TD
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TD

How is the shifter feel while in gear? is there a lot of slop in the shifter? I would start by doing a once over on the linkage attached to the transmission I have had a one of the retaining screws back out on me before creating all sorts of havoc (lead me to coast into the pits as I could no longer put it in gear). I would get a wrench (i think its 10mm) and see if anything has come loose. If not, I think its just the shift lever being old, and could be worth replacing.

thats all i can think of... any yea, there is no need to be in 2nd in T1 on main.

are you going to be out there this weekend with nasa?

-Ross

edit: here is a picture for refference

i highlighted the screw that was backing out for me, but i think there are 2 on the linkage.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like the shifter linkage between the shifter and the trans is worn/loose/ come undone Etc. That's where I would start. If it was the trans internal you would probably not lasted very long.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the answer to your problem Todd

Ebay link to solution!!

I do the same thing Todd. Will sometimes find 4th when looking for 2nd in T1. I used to chalk it up to my Autothority SSK that makes the spacing very very tight, however, I've now concluded the only problem is me. If I rush too much or am not deliberate with my shift there, that is when I have a problem. Same thing going into T5. If I lose my concentration for a split second, that is when I have the problem. I would think it was a hardware issue only if it happened every time you shifted, not just a few times.

Last edited by Mike Buck; 10-10-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Z-man
Race Director

TD - a question to clarify - are you talking about when you're shifting in the brake zone BEFORE T1 that's giving you a problem? Are you going from 5th gear to 2nd directly, or are you going through all the gears? (5-4-3-2)

-Z
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks all. I imagine that it most likely is a combination of something mechanical and lack of complete focus on my part.

The misshifts occurred when I was shifting from fifth to second in the braking zone of T1. It usually happened when I was trying to brake later than a faster car in an effort to slip down under them on the inside or, once, around them on the outside. I typically shift straight from fifth to second BUT I always, always, always shift into neutral between all shifts. So, when I tried to go from neutral to second, I grabbed fourth and had NOTHING when I released the clutch and was trying to accelerate from the turn in point. Then I had to scramble and reshift, which typically meant that I couldn't make the pass that I had started stick.

Ross, I assume you meant that there is no reason to be in fourth in T1 rather than second. I found myself needing second nearly every time I went through the corner next to another car or cars.

Mike, the linky no worky

Thanks all for the tips.

Also, has anyone here cut an access panel in the rear center hump to get to the shift linkage? Would this do anything to create an additional fire hazard or weaken the integrity of the tub?

Thanks.

P.S. Matt Marks said my shifter felt sloppy when he drove my car last month, so maybe it is just getting progressively worse.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

fixed the link todd. it is just what you need!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
fixed the link todd. it is just what you need!
ya bastard!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Todd - why not shift through all gears instead? Or possibly do a 5-4-2 shift?

Our shifter lever is quite sloppy - it flops around a bit, especially when turning, but also when braking. By going from 5th to 4th, which you are more familiar with, it will be easier to grab 2nd from 4th, and you don't have to worry abuot accidentally going into 4th, since you're coming out of 4th in the first place!

-Z
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-man
Todd - why not shift through all gears instead? Or possibly do a 5-4-2 shift?

Our shifter lever is quite sloppy - it flops around a bit, especially when turning, but also when braking. By going from 5th to 4th, which you are more familiar with, it will be easier to grab 2nd from 4th, and you don't have to worry abuot accidentally going into 4th, since you're coming out of 4th in the first place!

-Z
I do that sometimes, but I swear that it is slower, or at least it is slower when I do it. Whenever an instructor rides with me and catches me going through all the gears, he typically tells me to stop it . . .
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you haven't replaced the shift lever with a new one, consider doing that. The horizontal bar on the lever gets worn from it's original cylindrical shape to something resembling a football, creating a lot of slop. This makes gear selection in the heat of battle a little dicey. When I replaced mine, and installed a new lower bushing and washers/clips, it made the shifting much better and the slop basically non-existent. It's a cheap fix, under $100 for all of the bits and about a half hour DIY job.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

I have replaced the shift lever . . . The lever used to flop from side to side when I went through corners.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TD,
First look at the linkage. THe shift lever and also the 5ft long black rod too. Also get under the car and check the linkage on the tranny end (what spaze pointed out). It can also wear.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

TD, please disreguard my text on what gear you should be in.

But, if you replaced the lever, and Matt says your shifter feels sloppy, i would check the linkage. Although Joe prought up a good point, that rod could also cause problems. Either way, get under there and check, if you need help let me know, I've done it enough times I'm almost an expert.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I do that sometimes, but I swear that it is slower, or at least it is slower when I do it. Whenever an instructor rides with me and catches me going through all the gears, he typically tells me to stop it . . .
Said instructor isn't the one who's going to have to pay for your tranny if you miss a gear...

The brake zone for T1 @ Summit is plenty long for you to be able to do a 5-4-2 downshift and not loose any time, IMHO. Or, if that shifting doesn't have a good rythm for you (could be why you feel it slows you down), then try a 5-3-2 downshift pattern intead.

-Z

Quick Reply: How can you shift "between" gears?