Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006 | 09:09 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Default door handles

Ok... So my passenger door handle has never worked well. It finally gave out on me not too long ago so I bought a pair or working handles from a someone local. I get the door apart and notice that the plastic clip on the end of the lever is no longer attached so I remove everything put the cap back on, and get it all put back together. Even with the plastic cap screwed just about all the way out it is still not openeing the door. If you look at the latch mechanism when pulling the handle you can see the lower release moving but the door does not open. Could it be that the linkage inside the door is worn to a point where excess slop diesnt allow the door to fully disengage? Is there something else Im missing?
Old 10-10-2006 | 09:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 82 has been pretty well worn; I ended up bending the little linkage rod that goes down from the handle to the latch mechanism. This effectively lengthened the rod enough to make it work the latch again.

I still have to replace the latch, though, since it's so worn out it locks itself after closing the door 2-3 times! Easy to lock yourself out of a running car!
Old 10-10-2006 | 02:48 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

it breaks at the pivot point

Old 10-10-2006 | 05:11 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem on my 924S. The door would only open when the outside handle release lever was pulled all the way out. Always felt like it barely was releasing the latch. Then the handle broke so I put a different one on. While I was at it I adjusted the rod to its full length but still would not open the door. As a last resort I pulled the mechanism out of another door and replaced it all. Door works fine now, apparently the mechanism wears out and no amount of adjustment will make it work.
Old 10-10-2006 | 05:19 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
My 82 has been pretty well worn; I ended up bending the little linkage rod that goes down from the handle to the latch mechanism. This effectively lengthened the rod enough to make it work the latch again.

I still have to replace the latch, though, since it's so worn out it locks itself after closing the door 2-3 times! Easy to lock yourself out of a running car!
I have a 924 pass. door handle I tried eBaying last week, with 0 bids. I bought it for the plastic trim piece, and don't need the rest. PM me your address and it's yours for the cost of shipping- I want it out of the garage.
Old 10-10-2006 | 05:28 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

which mechanism did you pull out of the door? My car is a track car so I took the door cards out, and even with it out its hard to get to any of the stuff on the inside of the door. Do you have a pic of it by any chance?
Old 10-11-2006 | 01:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, but I need the latch, not the handle. Thanks for the offer though!
Old 10-11-2006 | 06:49 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the parts I pulled out of the door in a box I think. I dont have a picture of the parts while they were in the door. I seem to remember having to take even the inside door release lever and cable off with the rest of it because it was all together as a unit. Also I think I got the mechanism at the back end of the door loose and had to wiggle and twist it around to get it out from behind the anti-theft bar in the door. It wasnt real easy and when I had it all apart I was wondering how I would get the replacement mechanism back up into the place the old one had come from. The inside door lock **** rod also comes out with it.

Quick Reply: door handles